Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The dreaded wheel problem
yeah I got it. Bearing is loose in the wheel hub like the 84 85 known wheel issue :-L . Ive looked at the old posts and all and just doing a quick check before I go head with a fix. What I read for fixes was 86 87 wheel and flange. Sleeve retainer glue. Over sized bearing. Steel band around the outside of the hub which I dont see how that will fix anything after the bearing is loose but what do I know :-\ . And machining pressing in a steel sleeve and using orginal size bearing. The 86 87 wheel if I can get it is cheapest at 150 bucks for the flange and 200 for the wheel. Can do a lot of machining for that much. Im figuring to do the machine the hub and press in steel sleeve fix UNLESS something better has been came up with since the old posts I read. :-\ Like magic super glue? Magic wand? Magic something? :YMPRAY: Cheaper better can do it myself and save some $-) .?
I know its a long shot but before im off to the machine shop thought id check :d

OH there was one other fix which was go to a 1500 final drive. I can get that pretty cheap but Im a little confused. Some posts talked about double bearings and offset wheels different brakes etc. Others sounded like it would bolt right up and work? Little clarification on that issue please??
Ghost.President: G.M.M.C.C.
Member:Patriot Guard Riders
#1 05-12-2012, 07:23 PM,
Im guessing the lack of response means there hasnt been any new improved fixes for the wheel. :-\ So off to the machine shop for a steel sleeve I reckon. $-)
#2 05-13-2012, 09:38 AM,
If you can find an 86-87 wheel and gear you can change it out, also you could have the bearing replaced to a larger one by a machine shop. Otherwise you can replace the wheel, gear, differential, and caliper mounting bracket with parts from off of a 1500. This would give you a much stronger and better wheel and inner bearing than the 1200's ever had. The wheel is 1" larger but the tires are not as tall so the outside tread diameter stays about the same.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#3 05-13-2012, 07:11 PM,
Did you see this post?

http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=7419

Sounds like your issue unless I am misunderstanding...
Charlie
1992 GL1500 SE
[Image: Visited.jpg]
#4 05-13-2012, 07:55 PM,
Chas Wrote:Did you see this post?

http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=7419

Sounds like your issue unless I am misunderstanding...

The issue is with the bearing not the bushing, also the above repair is no longer available unfortunately.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#5 05-14-2012, 05:04 AM,
86 wheel 200 bucks flange to match 100 bucks. Machine shop will machine the hub press in a steel sleeve to use the oringal bearing size for 140 bucks. Guess which one im doin :lol:
#6 05-14-2012, 11:56 PM,
Here is a good description of the conversion from a 1200 wheel to a 1500 wheel, the parts can be found from most trike conversions for around $100.00 including the tire.

The adapter you have has 6 pins, all 1200 wheels have 6 pins as do the 88-89 GL1500s (1990 and up have 5 pins) so you can use any other 1200 final drive spline adapter or a same piece from a 88-89 GL1500 if you know of one that's triked.

You can in fact, use any year 1500 final drive, but you need a 6 pin final drive adapter to keep a 1200 rear wheel. You only have to drill out the 4 mount holes in the swing arm when using the 1500 final drive in place of the 1200 final drive, drill to 7/16" diameter. If you use a 1500 final drive, it does use a 1/4" longer axle and while not absolutely needed, that extra 1/4" sticking past the big nut is nice to see.

.............................................................................................

You can also use the whole 1500 rear end set up, with better wheel bearing support and double row inner drive side bearing and get a larger, more powerful rear brake, but you would need the 1500 final drive, wheel, adapters, spacers, brake caliper mount, axle, etc.

Still use 1200 drive shaft.

Now you might also be able to use a C/T (the taxi tire?) on this rim if it will also fit under the fender, I know it is no wider!
1500 rears are some easier to find as more were converted to trikes. I'll paint my wheels spokes black.

To install the 1500 final / wheel with bigger double row bearing / and larger brake rotor.

Drill out the four drive shaft tube to differential bolt holes to 7/16".

You must machine or grind the 1500 caliper mount on the side nearest swing arm and away from wheel

[Image: 41965d1333645708-1984-aspencade-img2.jpeg]

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/atta...-img2.jpeg

Use the 1200 axle and the single spacer from the 1500 on left side.

Route the brake hose to the outside of the left shock.

Using 1500 final / wheel / brake is reputed to center the wheel better in the swing arm than the stock 1200 which has a slight offset.

To install just the 1500 final drive ....
The 1200 flange will fit the 1500 drive if you want to install your 1200 wheel on a 1500 drive, but then you keep the 1200 smaller rear brake disc and mount and two spacers on left side, etc. To do this, you just need to drill out the 4 holes in the swing arm.

The 1500 rear wheel has a double race main weight carrying bearing in a more solid mounting than the single row one in the 1200 wheel that tends to wobble out the weakly reinforced mounting ring in the 1200 wheel (It's not the 1200 bearing that spins .... rather it's the pounding of the heavy bike and the fact that the rear drive side bearing is carrying most of the weight on this one bearing nearest the center of the wheel that pounds out the weakly re-enforced aluminum area where the bearing mounts in the wheel).

The 1500 rear wheel arrangement comes with a larger diameter rear brake rotor which greatly increases rear braking, even though pad and caliper is the same as effective leverage and swept area is increased.

The 1500 differential uses slightly larger bolts to attach to the swing-arm, hence drilling the 4 holes.

You will need to use the 1500 brake caliper mounting bracket due to the larger rotor on the 1500 wheel. The calipers are identical on both the 1200 and the 1500, but the 1500 mounting bracket will need to be ground down to fit into the 1200 swing arm.
[Image: 41965d1333645708-1984-aspencade-img2.jpeg]

#7 05-15-2012, 06:52 AM,
Thanks for the 1500 conversion post. :d The unit I had in mind isnt there anymore now. Plus I need this bike up and running pronto as it is my workhorse vehicle. I can actually ride it now just handles a little weird on a real groovy twisty road.
Ill probably just take one of the 1200 wheels I have to machine and sleeve. Shop says four hours to do from getting there to being done so I can take it down wait on it and get it back up same day if I want to use the wheel that is on it now. Either way before Im thru ill get both done so we have a spare wheel in case the wifes 84 I does the same thing. Thanks for the imput guys ^Smile^
#8 05-15-2012, 07:37 PM,
ghostrider52005 Wrote:Thanks for the 1500 conversion post. :d The unit I had in mind isnt there anymore now. Plus I need this bike up and running pronto as it is my workhorse vehicle. I can actually ride it now just handles a little weird on a real groovy twisty road.
Ill probably just take one of the 1200 wheels I have to machine and sleeve. Shop says four hours to do from getting there to being done so I can take it down wait on it and get it back up same day if I want to use the wheel that is on it now. Either way before Im thru ill get both done so we have a spare wheel in case the wifes 84 I does the same thing. Thanks for the imput guys ^Smile^

Only trouble is it will happen again due to the single bearing race pressed into the soft aluminum hub.

#9 05-15-2012, 10:42 PM,
I was kinda hopin this was a permanent fix Confusedhock: Youd think a steel sleeve pressed in the hub holding a steel sealed bearing would hold better than just a steel bearing driven inside an aluminum hub. :-\ At any rate at the moment I dont have the time to hunt up another 1500 drive or to do all the mods to use it. :-L This one went at least 60,000 miles assuming that the extra wheel and axle that came with it when I got the bike came off this bike. Nothing wrong with the spare axle or the one on the bike either. Spare does have the fall out bearing thing going on.
I feely admit this bike has been overloaded most of the time ive had it. Two up and everything that could pack on it most of the time.
The thing that puzzles me is that none of the 84 85s around here some with more milage than mine by a good shot have had this crop up. @-)
The machine heads, two of them that ive talked to about doing this seem to think that once they are done with the wheel sleeve thing it will never happen again. One going so far as to guarantee that it wont though I dont know what he plans to do that the other guy doesnt :lol:
As I said im riding it now, other than the worst of grooved roads where there is just a tad of twitchyness I doubt a person would notice it though there is a bit of slop at the outer diameter of the tire if you yank on it. Ill probably run it for the next two weeks then take it down to get it fixed since I dont have time to do it in the next two weeks. Hopefully if it does happen again itll be a good while before it does. Ill have the spare done also and by the time both have given up again I can have all the stuff to do the 1500 conversion on it. Or just ride bitch behind the wife #-O :lol:
#10 05-17-2012, 12:54 AM,
The sleeve idea is better than stock, they did this on the 86-87 wheels, however they also increased the amount of aluminum around the sleeve too.
Even so some 86-87 wheels still had loose bearing issues even then. That is why the 1500 wheels got the wider double bearings to spread that weight out and prevent the wallowing in the hub.

I am sure that the other wings you see with higher mileage wheels and no issues have all been gently ridden and rarely of ever overloaded like yours and mine always are.

#11 05-17-2012, 09:12 AM,
Come to think of it now that you mention it yes all the wings ive seen that didnt have the bearing flop thing are usually ridden one up by someone weighing less than 200 lbs. One I know of gets ran fast and hard but the guy weighs maybe 160 lbs.
Hopefully now that the wife is on her own wing carrying her own stuff and all mine has to contend with is me and the stuff i haul around itll have a little lighter load most of the time. Honestly now that ive gotten used to the feel of it, except for tearing up something else I wouldnt even bother with it but im guessing it would finally wallow the hub totally out to being un rideable . Or the axle or brakes or something.
#12 05-17-2012, 05:15 PM,
If I read this correctly, you can take a 88 or 89 rear wheel, and install it on the bike without doing anything else? Is this correct? I have the dreaded bearing spin out in an 85 ltd. Tried using some liquid metal around a new bearing, didn't hold long at all.
#13 05-10-2013, 02:37 PM,
http://www.permatex.com/products/product...rts-detail

That's how I fixed my bearing problem. Permatex makes several versions of this product. Find out the play in the fitting and buy the product for the .xx gap.

My wheel bearing has been holding for 2000 miles now.
#14 05-15-2013, 03:59 PM,
this thread will be filed away for future reference as I have a 84I with 140+K miles.

Thanks folks!

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#15 05-15-2013, 09:42 PM,