Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Strange radio/low sound problem:
All:

I'm a new member here with a new to me 1986 Interstate. I've had it over a month now and when I bought it there was only a very low volume sound coming from the one good speaker. I purchased and installed two good speakers hoping this would solve my problem, it didn't.

When I push the red "mute" button on the left handlebar control the sound turns off completely, when I push the button again the low, barely audible radio comes back on. I've read the forum and tried a few suggestions including temporarily disconnecting the AVC from the system. When I do so the volume remains the same, extremely low.

Something happened the other day that is very Strange. I was synching my carbs for the first time using a single gauge connecting to two carbs at a time. (with air valves controlling which carb was being read) I was using #4 and #3 to check vacuum. As I adjusted the screw for #3 while also adjusting idle to maintain 1,000 rpms, suddenly my radio came on full volume, blasting loud, it sounded perfect. I can't remember the sequence but I either adjusted idle or the #3 vacuum screw when this happened. It stayed loud until a readjusted the #3 screw. I turned the screw one way and the loud volume decreased to it's low normal state. Turning another way the volume came on extremely loud again. This happened two times then adjusting either idle or #3 vacuum adjustment screw did nothing. The incident happened too quickly and then stopped that I couldn't determine if it was idle or vacuum that was affecting the sound.

I thought I remembered reading that the AVC would increase volume as rpms increased so I played around with the AVC controls and nothing changed, stayed low, barely audible radio volume. Next I disconnected the AVC as explained on the forum, hoping the sound would increase but nothing changed. I'm baffled and need advice, I really want the radio to work as it's designed.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated, this is an outstanding Forum.

regards,

DC
#1 05-05-2012, 09:21 AM,
its possible that by raising the rpms of the bike the added vibrations caused the contacts on back of radio to connect properly,try taking the radio out and spreading the "pins" on the back of the radio ever so slightly

the avc unit works in conjunction with the speedometer on the aspy's,not sure exactly how on the interstates

dc44,pm me an email address and i'll send you a file that may help you

email with pdf sent at 5:10PM
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 05-05-2012, 12:31 PM,
This may or may not work, but, spray some wd40 into the mute button and work it in and out. It may take a day or two doing this. Then spray contact cleaner into the switch. The contacts may be dirty and 'could' cause this. I always look at the simple things first.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic
#3 05-05-2012, 03:37 PM,
The RED button is the CB transmit button and will cut out the radio when depressed. the BLACK mute button is one of the other buttons on the same console.

Also if you have the intercom turned on, and its adjustment turned up, then the music will also remain muted, even if a helmet is not hooked up. The intercom control is the middle control next to the radio volume knob.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#4 05-06-2012, 04:02 PM,
unionjack Wrote:The RED button is the CB transmit button and will cut out the radio when depressed. the BLACK mute button is one of the other buttons on the same console.

Also if you have the intercom turned on, and its adjustment turned up, then the music will also remain muted, even if a helmet is not hooked up. The intercom control is the middle control next to the radio volume knob.

Thanks for the information. I don't have a helmet with intercom hookup so I can't tell if the HS sound is working or not. On my left handlebar control, on the lower half, there is a round red button that pushes in and out. This control is turning the sound off altogether and when pushed again has the sound come on barely audible. The writing below the Red-round button says, "Off-On". The black button to the left of the round-red off/on push switch changes the frequency of the radio. There is another rectangular red button that is on the upper half that is the transmit button for the CB.

I removed the two switch boxes from the handlebar plate it attaches to, opened the case of the lower one with the round-Red button and shorted between the two terminals at the base of the push-off-on Red button. The radio volume would come on the same, extremely low.

I have the intercom turned off, I've had the CB off and on and nothing changes when it is on. I push the CB transmit and TX shows on the CB panel and I can hear a click through the speakers although the radio volume doesn't change at all, remains low. I have used WD-40 the last 2 days to no avail. I haven't been able to remove the radio as the lock is damaged and I haven't replaced it yet.

[Image: 2054f55734a147926be769dbf9abb03f91806870...4e906g.jpg]

I'm going to figure this out and with your help and other generous members I know I will. I liked it when the radio momentarily played through the speakers loudly the other day and want that again.

thanks!
#5 05-07-2012, 03:08 PM,
The red button actually just mutes the sound to a lower level this only alters the sound on the external speakers.

For example if you stopped at a light and didnt want the rest of the world to hear your radio you would push that button and it would mute (not totally) the sound.

You have an Interstate, so the radio if it is a Honda/Panasonic which it looks like it might be looking at the switches although on the switches I have seen the red one would be square, maybe someone has done some work on the switch.

If your just getting a low sound on the speakers it maybe that the power amplifier is not working.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#6 05-07-2012, 03:44 PM,
From your picture I am thinking that that round red button is not stock, possibly a previous owner did a bad job of installing a replacement switch?
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#7 05-07-2012, 07:01 PM,
unionjack Wrote:From your picture I am thinking that that round red button is not stock, possibly a previous owner did a bad job of installing a replacement switch?

I'm going to replace the red push/off/on switch tomorrow if possible. I did complete the switch's circuit by connecting between the two posts at the bottom of the switch. Nothing, same low sound.

re: Tricky

I have the Panasonic unit.

Recall that the speakers came on full volume when I was adjusting the carbs the other day, if the amplifier was faulty I don't think it would come on when vacuum and RPM's are being adjusted. On the other hand, an intermittent sound could be because of a bad amplifier so who knows?

I know that it may have been a huge, meaningless coincidence that the speakers came on properly for the first time when I was adjusting the engine. My experience working on aircraft and chasing problems makes me believe the two are connected in some manner. I also go for the easiest fix first, I'll replace the push off/on switch next and go from there. I appreciate any and all advice and suggestions you guys can give me.

Thanks,
#8 05-07-2012, 09:33 PM,
To me it sounds like dirty contacts on the switches. I would spray electronic contact cleaner with lubricant ( <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cpcares.com/TAE/puretronics/TAE-5000.html">http://www.cpcares.com/TAE/puretronics/TAE-5000.html</a><!-- m -->) on all the switches then work each switch on and off repeatedly until the radio started to work properly. You cannot spray the radio switches from the outside as they are sealed at each button, therefore, you will need to remove the radio face(easy job)and then spray the switches individually. Take your bike to a locksmith to get the radio lock open or drill the lock out yourself and replace it.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#9 05-08-2012, 05:22 AM,
as admin advised,it would be money well spent to get a key for the radio lock so that you the radio out to clean and readjust the radio contacts,all the work spent trying to clean the handlebar switches is worthless if the final solution involves a poor radio connector connection
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#10 05-08-2012, 06:00 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird '84 Aspy radio problem mannock18 3 333 11-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Last Post: admin
  '87 Aspy, weird radio problem... dkrider 3 414 08-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Last Post: moonhead
  How dop I make the old 1200 Panasonic radio sound better 22 1,872 10-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Last Post: neoracer
  Tape Player/Radio Making Some Very Strange Noises! chesterwgunn 4 272 06-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Last Post: bobsaint
  Radio audio problem... normal then insanely quiet... 31 1,373 02-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Guest
  CB radio Still Acting Strange Anybody in area can look at neoracer 2 227 09-27-2008, 08:42 PM
  Radio problem Satch 2 271 07-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  85 GL1200 radio removal problem 4 541 06-24-2008, 07:20 PM
  I repaired my 85 aspy radio problem 15 1,731 10-05-2007, 12:27 PM