Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Gas Smell
I know, it's been beaten to death around here :lol:

OK, as some know I transitioned my 85 Aspencade to an 84 Interstate sort of... :roll:

I have now a problem that I can't seem to remedy myself. I have changed the air filter, changed the fuel filter and replaced the fuel lines from the gas tank to the filter and from the filter to the fuel pump. I STILL have a bad gasoline smell when I come back from a ride. There is no obvious evidence of a leak anywhere I can see, no puddle of gas on the floor,etc. The other day I had a terrible time while RIDING and could smell the gas. At every stop the people we were with could also smell how strong it was whenever they got near my bike. My wife says she could smell it but didn't think it was as strong as I was getting in the drivers spot.

I have read as many posts as I can and even talked to Neoracer on the phone but still the problem persists. I have been in contact with Venco Wings and Pete commented that it might just be some dirt getting caught up during the winter layover in the float bowls and it may need a few miles to get sorted out?

I put a question mark for that as I know very little about carburetors and how they work. On our bike, if the float bowl is filling up and doesn't drain right, where does that fuel go? I heard one guy say on his old kawasaki there was an overflow tube and it would drain on the ground. I don't know if I have one of those or not and don't know where to look for one if I had one? :-\

I have run over 500 miles so far and used some Chevron Techron thru a couple of tanks and tried a few ounces of Seafoam on the last tankful to no avail. Is cleaning the float bowls something that can be removed and done without taking the whole carb assembly off? If so please point me in the right direction. If not, I may as well get the carbs rebuilt and replace all the other hoses while they are in there.

I will say this. My throttle response is excellent and the bike runs like the proverbial stripped a#$ ape. If it wasn't for the stink, I'd leave it alone :d

Thanks for listening to my tale of woe...

Glenn Clave
Loudon,NH
Glenn Clave
Loudon,NH

"If it's too big to eat in one sitting you probably shouldn't run over it"

85/84 "AspenState" Senior-Gray metallic (Sold but not forgotten)
2001 GL1800 Apollo Blue
#1 03-21-2012, 03:24 PM,

Messages In This Thread
Gas Smell - by gclave - 03-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Re: Gas Smell - by Burnout - 03-22-2012, 02:22 AM
Re: Gas Smell - by seabee - 03-22-2012, 04:04 AM
Re: Gas Smell - by gclave - 03-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Re: Gas Smell - by gclave - 04-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Re: Gas Smell - by neoracer - 04-11-2012, 04:58 AM
Re: Gas Smell - by gclave - 04-11-2012, 05:57 AM