Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cross over chamber
Well my exhaust is in good shape except the cross over chamber, box, whatever you want to call it.
Its grown some holes that either i need to weld up or else just cut the cross over out completely and seal up the holes it leaves on each side. Ending up running two pipes per side not connected to the other side by a cross over.
Ive done this on other bikes a lot of times by either just changing exhaust pipes to straights or some modification of what was there and it didnt affect anything.
On the LTD being my first fuel injected bike, Im thinking the result will be the same as any other bike but thought id bounce it off you guys first.

At present the exhaust might as well not be connected by a crossover as the box is leaking enough to kill any purpose it might have served anyway and I dont see a difference. But what say you oh gurus of Wingdom???? ^Smile^
Ghost.President: G.M.M.C.C.
Member:Patriot Guard Riders
#1 03-12-2012, 10:59 PM,
I don't know about the Wings, however I remember many of the old muscle cars used crossover pipe to balance out the back pressure. I had a 1970 Mustang Boss 302 and the front exhaust pipe was an "H" pattern having the crossover pipe. I'm pretty sure Chrysler used it in several muscle cars too.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#2 03-13-2012, 01:36 AM,
If removed, you may experiance a slight increase in exhaust tone and a slight decrease in low end torque.
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#3 03-13-2012, 02:33 AM,
Roleketu Wrote:I don't know about the Wings, however I remember many of the old muscle cars used crossover pipe to balance out the back pressure. I had a 1970 Mustang Boss 302 and the front exhaust pipe was an "H" pattern having the crossover pipe. I'm pretty sure Chrysler used it in several muscle cars too.

This is my understanding of the reason for a cross over pipe. The wing is basically an H pattern as well. I have read a while back that the "x" pattern is a more efficient way of maintaining back pressure. I would see if you can remove the current cross over and get just replace it with a pipe and maintain the "H" pattern. This would atleast equalize the pressures. You could always get crazy and get a cheap X-pipe and see if you could fit it under there.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#4 03-13-2012, 03:13 AM,
Thanks guys. I might try to put a pipe in if its not to big a pain to line the pipes weld the crossover in and still be able to hook everything back up.
Since nobody so far is mentioning earth shattering wing secrets against running without a cross over may well go that way. Low end torgue doesnt seem to be a 1200's strong suit anyway. And a little louder than stock beats the heck out of it sounding like an apache helicopter going down the road :lol:
#5 03-13-2012, 03:24 PM,
I never heard anything good or bad about eliminating the crossover.

I think I would be tempted to find somebody that welds to close those holes up if they are not too bad. I would think it could be done on the bike, if you can lean it far enough to gain access.

From what they say taking that exhaust off is a real bear of a job.
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#6 03-13-2012, 04:40 PM,
My friend has a shop right up the road. We drop the exhausts on wings all the time.
Had mine up on the lift and while the majority of the holes might be welded from the bottom ( if the surrounding metal is solid enough) there are some pin holes up near the top that will soon be holes.
First try will be to drop it and weld up the holes. If the metal left is to thin then I guess I will just cut the whole box out and either fashion another box, weld a pipe in, or just do away with the cross over whichever is the less headache to do.
#7 03-13-2012, 07:27 PM,
I've just had one plated at the local exhaust fitters, pic on this page, <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=10535&start=15">viewtopic.php?f=66&t=10535&start=15</a><!-- l -->
They seem to rot in the same place, the rest of it was very solid, he had to cut off the rubber stopper lug and weld it back over the new plate.I bought this exhaust for a few £'s as the one that came off the bike had a hole on the inside of the tailpipe section so was past repair, maybe worth checking back there before going further.
Cheers...Charlie
The lady walking ahead of me sped up so I did too, she began running so I ran too, she screamed so I screamed as well. I never even saw what we were running from.
#8 03-13-2012, 11:43 PM,
Well after pulling the exhaust from the header pipes it seems my mufflers crossover and about everything except the chrome covers is kaput :roll:
Good news is Ive been given a new set of takeoff mufflers from a softtail Harley :d
Tomorrow granny goes on the trailer to my exhaust shop buddy for connecting pipes and by tommorow evening hopefully she will have spanking new mufflers and pipes. Total cost should be about 30 bucks. Aint life grand :d
#9 03-21-2012, 12:14 AM,
Well actually saved the stock exhaust. Used an arc welder two buddies working all night, some nails for filler rods along with the arc welder and some high priced industrial sealer my son had left from work for plugging holes blown in high pressure refinery pipes :lol:
I still have the harley mufflers for with this repair gives out or the exhaust on the wifes new to her interstate pops a hole :lol:
#10 04-27-2012, 12:09 AM,