Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Stella has started to undergo surgery to add ext. alt
I noticed in the photo where you show the belt on your conversion that the belt is green. My father owned an auto parts store and I worked in it and many others for a couple decades, and from what I remember that is a Gates fractional horsepower belt. Meaning it's designed for lawnmowers and snowblowers delivering the 5hp small engine power to run cutting blades. That style belt won't hold up to the high speed rpm spin an alternator or power steering pump requires.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#31 03-25-2012, 07:42 PM,
You are right Roleketu it is a green gates power rated so I googled it and it says up to 17 horsepower and you may be right it might not hold up thanks for the info I will keep a eye on it.
I hope it does not take more than 17 H.P. to spin the alt. (if that is the same reasoning)
Jerry
#32 03-26-2012, 02:09 PM,
I always wondered what those green belts were all about and now I know. Thanks Roleketu
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#33 03-27-2012, 04:34 AM,
spongebob Wrote:Fixed my new pulley on, seems good to me, I'm no engineer so made a bush out of 15mm copper pipe, a bit of lawnmower handle and some araldite to bond it together, it clears the fan frame by a couple of mm's. I was puzzled how to get the cambelt cover bolt in thats obscured by the pulley, but seeing your pic on the previous page I presume you fit that cover first..then the pulley..then the other cover..it's easy for me to miss the obvious way to go, I'll be amazed if I get this bike back together and it doesn't explode into a thousand pieces :oops: I'm a bit kak handed so keep posting incase I get the thumbs down for doing something stupid!

Bolted everything back on today (some parts twice)! My new pulley with homemade bush jiggles around like one of those spinning plates just before it falls off the stick..it looks quite comical. Other than that it seems to run nicely so I'll get a proper bush made without bits of lawnmower handle in it :roll:
Cheers...Charlie
The lady walking ahead of me sped up so I did too, she began running so I ran too, she screamed so I screamed as well. I never even saw what we were running from.
#34 04-01-2012, 07:26 AM,
Just wanted to let everyone know that it has been 200-400 miles since the conversion and Stella is doing really good still charging 14+ volts cruising with all lights and tunes on.
\Big Grin/
Jerry
#35 04-14-2012, 05:46 PM,
All that extra electrical power is great. I'm at 10K miles on the Poorboy conversion and works wonders.

---
I am here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dwutsn">http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dwutsn</a><!-- m -->
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#36 04-14-2012, 09:26 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OK Stella and her new alternator should be on youtube. jerryinmich57 5 2,260 04-16-2012, 04:51 AM
Last Post: joe turner