Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cruise Control Override-Please help me make it faster!
Hello, Fellow GL1200 Loyalists!!
We are getting some nice days here in KY and I'm busy getting my 1985 LTD, (15,000 original miles), ready to attach my California Friendship II 2-person sidecar.

I plan several trips on both 2 wheels and 3 and I need a REAL tried and tested way to make my Cruise Control go faster than an indicated 80 mph. My actual speed is 75 or less and I'm getting tired of having all manner of cars and semi's riding up my tail.
I've searched and searched the web and Steve Saunder's site and have yet to find a good way to make my Cruise go higher than 80.
Please don't tell me to just go slower... I ride on the Interstate a lot and need an extra 10-15 mph quite frequently to stay ahead of traffic.

Is there a mechanical means to make the cruise work at higher speeds?
Is there a wiring trick that will actually work on the GL1200?
I looked at the solution for the GL1500 but supposedly it doesn't work on earlier 1500s.
Please HELP!!!
Thanks, Fellow G-dub FANS!!!
Don W., Winchester, KY
#1 02-28-2012, 04:17 PM,
Here is a link to the 'Beating the 1500 cruise control' page.

Good luck on the 1200.

http://gl1800a.osborn-us.com/wingcruisecontrol.html
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#2 02-28-2012, 05:52 PM,
Thanks for this link. I am still hoping someone has a fix for the GL1200.
I have this one saved already.

Anybody have any fixes for the GL1200 LTD Cruise Control 80 MPH Limit?

Thanks.
#3 02-28-2012, 09:17 PM,
It's been several years now since I sold my LTD, but if I remember correctly, there is a way to by-pass / trick it.

I'm almost sure that you take it up to the cruise limit, then set it (80). Let the road speed fall to, say 79-78. Then hit the ACC / RES switch twice. This will bring it up past 80 (81-82). Then keep hitting the ACC switch to get to the desired road speed. I'm almost certain this is how you "trick" the cruise governor. When turning off the cruise or coasting, the "by-pass" trick will have to be done all over again, every time. Like I said earlier, it's been a while. Can someone else with a LTD / SEI confirm?
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#4 02-29-2012, 05:11 AM,
Please don't think that I'm trying to discourage you here, but, I'm just wondering how you are going to increase your body's reflex reaction times to coincide with the higher cruise control speeds. Tire blows, hit something in the road, flying debris hits you in the chest or face, wheel locks up etc. are all things that can and will occur at higher speeds only you need to be much quicker to deal with those issues when rolling along at much faster speeds. I've had a blowout on the rear tire of my bike and it was like fighting a mad bear to keep the bike under control and I don't think that more speed would have made keeping it on the road any easier. I have also had cruise controls stick in the full on position (rare but it happens) so you should also prepare for that, just in case, event also (brakes don't work well at high speeds with engine power pushing against the brakes, so, you must kill engine and coast safely to roadside without getting run over by an 18 wheeler.) I love speed, but, as I get older I also love intact skin and bones just as much or maybe even more than speed after I experienced departing from my bike at 100 mph when a drunk driver pulled in front of me with his car. Happened so unbelievably fast, although having or not having a cruise control would not have made any difference to my survival in that case, but, after not being able to walk for 6 months and thinking carefully about the accident I have firmly resolved that slowing down and looking around carefully (defensive driving) would have saved me. So, in a nutshell, if you're going to use cruise control at extremely high speeds, use binoculars to see way ahead and drive like every vehicle on the road is out to kill you. Good luck, now hit Resume and cruise on please.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#5 02-29-2012, 06:52 AM,
Vic:
I do appreciate the caution and believe me, I don't always fly on my wing...I try to enjoy the ride.
But, where I live, Interstate traffic is very heavy at times and I hate having to be in the right lane and get passed
by semi trucks and all manner of slow moving vehicles. I would rather push ahead to clearer spots with plenty
of free space ahead of me. Average speeds are 75-85 during work days. I use my bike for commuting most every
day during the week, (except for rain, yuck). I'm just not quite ready to slow down and be an old fogey, yet.
At least once a week I push my LTD to 100 and 115 just to enjoy the rush. I have fresh tires mounted and balanced by me.

If I do have a wipeout someday, I'm ready to be with my Creator. In the meantime, I enjoy each day, fully.
I'm not in a hurry to leave this world, yet, but I'm not that worried about crashing, either. I ride to be seen and
have the safest color, (Pearl Yellow).

I just know that on many of the long rides, my LTD cruise isn't up to the task of staying ahead. If I set it at 80,
everybody passes me, (cuz that's actually about 75 mph). Maybe after I have the sidecar mounted I will be forced
to live in the right lane, but when my bike is in 2 wheel mode, middle and left lane for me all the way.

Hey, on a side note: Yay for Vick and his guitar playing/singing!!! Keep it up. The more you sing/play in public, the more enjoyable it is.
Great fun to share something from the heart with an audience. I've enjoyed doing that in church for the past 45 years or so.
Congrats on having a great woman to write and sing about.

Best Wishes.
Don W.
#6 02-29-2012, 09:51 AM,
I read that there is a eltronic(sp) box you can get to correct the speedometer reading. That should make the cruse work to a true 80 mph. poorboy
#7 02-29-2012, 11:26 AM,
Well, I tried the trick that "Burnout" suggested but on my bike, (for more than 30 minutes). The speed just settles back to 80MPH no matter what I do. I can get it to accelerate to whatever speed I want but then it comes right back to 80. I hate getting passed by EVERYBODY, it's a pain in the neck to live in the right hand lane and get behind stinky slow-moving old cars, (the exhaust gives me a headache), and all manner of slow-moving vehicles.
Plain fact of the matter is that traffic goes faster than 75MPH, (which is my actual speed at full-cruise setting).

Our speed limit in KY is 70 so most people push it close to 80+

Surely there is something I can do to increase my speed without going to a taller rear tire.

Would it do any good to experiment with the cruise control linkage?
I can fab most things I need in my shop.

Any NEW Helpful suggestions?

Thanks,
Don W., Winchester, KY
#8 03-06-2012, 03:30 PM,
something comes to mind is that the limiting factor might actually be the stroke of the vacuum actuator,you'd be hard pressed to get a tall enough tire on the front to trick the speedometer
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#9 03-06-2012, 04:39 PM,
Use your wrist
#10 03-06-2012, 05:42 PM,
wild guess but this might be an acceptable solution
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GL1200-Goldwing-new-Cruise-Control-Throttle-Lock-/220950502020?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3371ad1a84&vxp=mtr">http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GL1200-Go ... 84&vxp=mtr</a><!-- m -->
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#11 03-06-2012, 05:46 PM,
Sorry.... I was almost certain that's how it was done. I do distinctively remember running 85-90 with the ST crowd using the cruise on the LTD. Have you looked in the Archives yet? (search) I know there is something in there about it. That's how I found out how to fool the governor on my LTD. It can be done, but I guess I forgot how to do it..... #-O
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#12 03-06-2012, 06:25 PM,
On my LTD it works like this. you take it up to max cruise and set it. then accelerate past that with the throttle and hit the DECEL button. Mine will accelerate and when i let off the DECEL button it stays at that speed i ran it up too. Go figure Confusedhock:
Ghost.President: G.M.M.C.C.
Member:Patriot Guard Riders
#13 03-10-2012, 10:07 PM,
OH and over cruise max on mine set like i just posted the decal and accel buttons are reversed. you can accelerate with DECEL and decelerate with ACCEL. Kinda like riding into another time dimension where everything is backwards :lol: Confusedhock:
#14 03-10-2012, 10:13 PM,
And hes right. In Ky its mandatory that everyone runs 10 mph over the speed limit it seems. If it was set at 150 mph thered be a lot of hillbillys( I was born here i can say that :lol: ) Blowing up our old Ford Pickups with six cylinders tryin to run 160 mph in a 150 zone :d
#15 03-10-2012, 10:19 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cruise Control on SE-i 6 3,934 08-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Last Post: neoracer
  Audiovox CCS-100 Cruise Control Installation on 85 Aspencade 8 4,899 08-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Guest
  After market cruise control Installation SIR tricky 1 1,942 08-09-2009, 05:36 AM
Last Post: SIR tricky