Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cylinders 1 and 2 not working
Greetings all:

After getting the TPS fixed and putting the bike back together I have determined that cylinders 1 and 2 are not working, fuel related or timing I think as the plugs are firing. Thinking that it jumped timing I have tore the bike back down to access the timing belts and checked the marks with the T1 mark on the crankshaft and it was all correct. I have replace and checked the coils, the right 1&2 spark box and still have a 2 cylinder( 3 & 4 ) operation. I did notice that the right belt had excessive slack and I am hoping that this is the culprit. Again, there appears to be fire but when I start the bike and let it idle I can remove plug wires 1 and 2 and there is no change in RPM or the rich gas smell. What say ye all?
#1 02-24-2012, 08:54 AM,
Is the ignition box to 1 and 2 hooked up to the correct pulse generator?
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#2 02-24-2012, 10:16 AM,
cal757 Wrote:Greetings all:

After getting the TPS fixed and putting the bike back together I have determined that cylinders 1 and 2 are not working, fuel related or timing I think as the plugs are firing. Thinking that it jumped timing I have tore the bike back down to access the timing belts and checked the marks with the T1 mark on the crankshaft and it was all correct. I have replace and checked the coils, the right 1&2 spark box and still have a 2 cylinder( 3 & 4 ) operation. I did notice that the right belt had excessive slack and I am hoping that this is the culprit. Again, there appears to be fire but when I start the bike and let it idle I can remove plug wires 1 and 2 and there is no change in RPM or the rich gas smell. What say ye all?

Retrace your disconnect/reconnect steps and make sure any and all electrical plugs have been plugged in completely by unplugging them, take a peek and see if there is corrosion (clean if necessary), then plug back together, making sure the plugs are actually seated together.
Make sure the pulse generators and coils are plugged into the correct spark plugs.
If you are sure all plugs are sparking, mark each plug (1, 2, 3, 4, or LF, RF, LR, RR) and move the plugs to a different cylinder. If the same cylinder(s) are not operating, then it is something to do with that cylinder.
If the problem moves with the spark plug, change the plug.
It may also be that cylinders injector, try moving the injector from a non-operating cylinder to one that is working.
Basically, try to make the problem move from one cylinder to another.
Doing so will shed some light on the possible problem and ultimately a solution will present itself.

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#3 02-24-2012, 12:11 PM,
I have a similar issue. Took the Wing out last week on a mild winter day. Doing some local errands bikes running great then suddenly hardly any power, so I limp it home. Both right side cylinders aren't firing. Pulling the plugs there's a faint spark but not like the left side that has a bright spark. I start it and no heat on both right pipes. Have 12v power at both coils so I'm guessing it's a coil. Just got in a used set of coils and wires from EBay and I'll try them Sunday.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#4 02-25-2012, 04:27 AM,
Roleketu Wrote:I have a similar issue. Took the Wing out last week on a mild winter day. Doing some local errands bikes running great then suddenly hardly any power, so I limp it home. Both right side cylinders aren't firing. Pulling the plugs there's a faint spark but not like the left side that has a bright spark. I start it and no heat on both right pipes. Have 12v power at both coils so I'm guessing it's a coil. Just got in a used set of coils and wires from EBay and I'll try them Sunday.

This doesn't make sense to me.
One coil feeds cylinders 1 and 2 (the front ones), the other feeds 3 and 4 (the rear ones).

To have both cylinders on one side not firing strongly would indicate something else, not sure what though.

If you had not mentioned a weak spark I would be looking at a fuel supply problem to the two carbs on the one side.

#5 02-25-2012, 09:33 AM,
Hmmmmm . . . Okies thanks, I didn't know about the coil to cylinder set up. I'll dig deeper to see if it's something else.

---
I am here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cskybb">http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cskybb</a><!-- m -->
#6 02-25-2012, 02:52 PM,
It could be something as simple as bad caps or bad spark plug wires. Or spark wires worn thin and grounding or arcing to the frame. Or weak plugs on that side.
Ghost.President: G.M.M.C.C.
Member:Patriot Guard Riders
#7 02-25-2012, 03:24 PM,
cal757 Wrote:Greetings all:

CAl you sound a little different than the other problem mentioned. Are the plugs wet when you pull them out? By appears to be fire do you mean you have a good strong blue spark or a weak spark?
Ghost.President: G.M.M.C.C.
Member:Patriot Guard Riders
#8 02-25-2012, 03:28 PM,
Found the culprit of no spark on the right side.

[attachment=0]

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_0163 (800x600).jpg (Size: 401.51 KB / Downloads: 175)
#9 02-27-2012, 05:04 PM,
Is that one of your timing belts??? I'm surprised nothing else was damaged.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic
#10 02-27-2012, 05:28 PM,
If that is broken then I would be surprised if the valves and possibly even the piston are not also damaged.

#11 02-27-2012, 05:36 PM,
Yep. That's what I was thinking. Might be that slim chance nothing came in contact. Talk about luck there.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic
#12 02-27-2012, 06:41 PM,
When it broke it just suddenly bogged down. No horrible snap, crackle, or pop. I was half mile from home and rode it back to the house. I have new belts installed and while installing and setting the timing nothing bound up. Still have to put on timing covers and radiator.
#13 02-27-2012, 07:43 PM,
you are one very, very lucky guy!!! :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#14 02-27-2012, 10:44 PM,
After you get everything back together I would turn the engine over by hand a couple of revolutions. That way you will be sure nothing was bent after the belt broke. Better to be safe then sorry.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic
#15 02-27-2012, 10:52 PM,