Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
I now know where you guys find the love on these bikes.
admin Wrote:I once knew a guy with a Charger just like that but it was nothing but problems, the engine smoked, the transmission slipped, the power steering leaked, the brakes wore out, the engine overheated, the choke would stick, the tires wore out too fast, especially the back ones, the alternator died 3 times, the dash cracked and the upholstery fell apart and on and on... I just don't know why anyone would want a Charger like that because they are so maintenance intensive and hard on gas. Are all Chargers like that? Who the heck would ever want something like that? I guess I'll just stick to my good old reliable GL1200 Gold Wing Aspencade. (Just pulling your leg a bit Rpmalerba, but, I did know someone with a Charger exactly as I mentioned above and he loved his Charger in spite of it.)
The old Mopars weren't as solid as the Fords or GM cars but boy did they have style, sound and power. The GL is a bike to take a cruise on. The Charger is a show car, two different things. And it's 15 years older. Hard on gas? Ha. 8 MPG, but I get there fast.
I've restored the car even further than in this video, but here's what a 8 MPG car do.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://youtu.be/_Jba_lYkzRU">http://youtu.be/_Jba_lYkzRU</a><!-- m -->
#61 02-23-2012, 07:34 PM,
This is an interesting thread....

Just curious:
Quote: It's a 45,000.00 car and an absolute honor and gift to own one.

What repairs would be needed if you purchased this for $3,000?
#62 02-24-2012, 08:36 PM,
Im gonna pitch in here as a " I HAVE to have my bike running to what I do) type of guy. Im not particularly brand loyal and ive owned several bikes of different makes. Ive only owned one new bike in my life. A 350 Honda when i was 14. Im 53. I like bikes, plus what I do at GMMCC a bike isnt recreation its a necessity. Cant afford to do all the running I have to with anything else. Any bike I have is going to be used, cant afford new. Its gotta be dependable, and at my age and health now not beat me to death over 500 to 700 mile days in the saddle as a fairly regular ride. Nothing ive rode and ive owned several different brands of bikes and rode a lot more since my bros and myself will loan each other bikes if needed, does it as well as the 1200 wing. Ive rode newer, bigger, smaller older and the 1200 will hold its own with bikes costing 20 or more times as much as a 1200 will, in every category. And it will do it long after 90 percent of bikes have given up the ghost and headed for the big scrap yard in the sky :lol:
Has it got its quirks? Yep every bike does dont care what it is. Strong and weak points again every bike does.
To a guy like me a 400 dollar 1200 that will start, engine and tranny is good and its plastic is mostly there is a gem. Even if its leaking oil from every shock, and seal its got, runing on one bank cuz the carbs are sludged and aint charging two volts. \:d/ Especially if i happen to have 400 bucks to spare which is seldom :ymblushing: .
My buds and me will scrap hunt parts buy new on the small stuff, Ill climb on this here forum where ive got some friends ive met and a lot I havent yet and pick their noodles for info, bust knuckles, throw wrenches, cuss discuss and in a week or two be able to climb on the thing and ride it coast to coast with no more worry than if it was brand new.
Lot of folks can afford not to do that. And dont want too and I dont blame em. I aint one of em though. Nor is any of my crew. There are only two bikes though that Id put that sort of effort into brand wise. One is a Harley cuz once your done you can probably sell it for twice what you have in it if its old and been restored. The other is a 1200 Wing. Not cuz itll resale and make money. But once youve sorted a 1200 out headed off the quirks like the stator, by poorboying it or the electrical connections by soldering them, youve got a bike that will do anything a bike that cost 20 times as much will do, in comfort, and as dependably as the new one will and better than some new bikes on the market of various brands.
One thing ive learned with bikes over the years. If you fix something and it goes south right after you fixed it either you got bad parts, you missed something pertaining to what you were fixing, or just did it wrong. Happens to the best mechanics around. #-O
If your sick of the bike you just are and no crime in dumping it if you want. But I would never steer a friend away from a good 1200 wing. The bikes they can get at four times the price wont do anything better, most probably not as well as the 1200 and probably with more wrenching over time than the 1200. Once the known quirks which are mostly electrical are sorted out the 1200 is about as bullet proof as you can get. Happy motoring :d
Ghost.President: G.M.M.C.C.
Member:Patriot Guard Riders
#63 02-25-2012, 01:41 AM,
Since its 4 am and im bored ill pass along this little ditty since it relates to vics Honda from Hell.
My friend a pastor sold his Victory tt something or other a nice bike and bought a ultra glyde from another pastor in another state. Id found him a bike just like the Victory he had same model etc with 8 grand on it. Cheap. But he fell in love with the Ultra and bought it.
Got it brought it home rode it and it felt funny. Neck was bent bike had been wrecked. Sooo welding and cutting the neck was straightened. A week later left fork seal BLEW all the way out showering him in fork oil. :roll: Seal replaced, blew out again same way #-O Finally third seal holds. Two weeks later about 100 miles it dies. Wont start back. To shop it goes, starts fine. Gets home wont start for two days then fires up Confusedhock: Off to his clubs rally. Bike hits the grounds and dies. #-O He in frustration puts it on a trailer and has it pulled around the grounds by another club member while he sits on it :lol: He now pronounces that his bike came straight out of Satans Rectum and its name is Damien. Confusedhock:
Rally ends joke exorcism performed by me and my crew over it and it starts :YMAPPLAUSE: Three minutes later it dies, :-W . Next few weeks it alternately strands him on the road, drops parts, catches fire, possibly he got to ride it 500 miles total the whole time. :-L
Finally on its own it becomes trouble free for about a week. @-) Everyone has a foreboding feeling about this sudden turn around and begs him to sell the thing because its obviously possessed :-SS
Damien diabolically runs all week into the weekend as everyones tension mounts :-SS :-SS
Saturday pastor becomes comfortable and though hes never ridden a foot without his helmet decides hes just going up the street and puts in his tour pack. He makes it about a quarter mile and car comes off the interstate ramp runs the stop in front of Damien and pastor and Damien refuses to apply front brakes. Result Damien the Harley from Hell plows into the side of said car ejecting our 300 lb hero over the bars, OVER the hood of the car to land like a dropped pizza on the pavement. :cry:
Damien is totaled, pastor is almost totaled B-( . Laid up for two months. :cry:
Pastor recovers, insurance pays enough to get late model street glide. :YMAPPLAUSE:
1 month later to all our horror, Damien is found on ebay repaired seeking another victim :-SS
On second thought Damine wasnt a lemon. Damien is a bike on a mission to collect as many souls as it can before returning to hell I think. :-SS
#64 02-25-2012, 02:35 AM,
I love it!!! Wasn't there once a movie about that? No wait, that movie was called Christine and it was about a 1957 Plymouth only it came back to life everytime it died after killing somebody. Would be great to see a movie about about a Harley called Damien. I can just picture it now, an old Hog that leaks oil on every traffic cops foot and shakes, literally, the heart out every rider that gets on it and this bike actually goes back to pick up every single part that falls off while rolling down the highway while the flames from Hell on the tank are burning for real. Sorry, don't think the GL1200 would be a very good movie star because it's too boring, nothing ever happens, it just keeps going and going and going without ever once annoying its rider. Only a seasoned GL1200 rider would understand the fun in that. :lol:
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#65 02-25-2012, 03:54 AM,
Tropicalsuns Wrote:This is an interesting thread....

Just curious:

I have no idea what that means? Best I could think was if you bought one for 3,000.00 off eBay, and it was a rare loaded R/T SE and you wanted to bring it back to restored stock condition with all new sheet meatal and paint, you'd probably have at least 45,000.00 in it at todays prices. The question is just way to vague to answer.

If you're trying to compare a 400.00 dollar bike worth 1,500.00 The 3,000.00 price wouldn't be fair for the 45,000.00 car.
I'm not gonna change my mind. Honda reliability as I know it, is not in the 1200. I would advise anyone looking to pick up a 1200 to understand they are a strong bike but 25 years old and more things on them than most Hondas of the same age will need to be replaced, and god forbid the stator goes. Get it cheap like I did because you will be putting money into it and that's not the normal case with an old Honda in my experience. I don't think that comment is to bad, unless of course you say it on a 1200 forum. :d
#66 02-25-2012, 08:00 AM,
ghostrider52005 Wrote:Im gonna pitch in here as a " I HAVE to have my bike running to what I do) type of guy. Im not particularly brand loyal and ive owned several bikes of different makes. Ive only owned one new bike in my life. A 350 Honda when i was 14. Im 53. I like bikes, plus what I do at GMMCC a bike isnt recreation its a necessity. Cant afford to do all the running I have to with anything else. Any bike I have is going to be used, cant afford new. Its gotta be dependable, and at my age and health now not beat me to death over 500 to 700 mile days in the saddle as a fairly regular ride. Nothing ive rode and ive owned several different brands of bikes and rode a lot more since my bros and myself will loan each other bikes if needed, does it as well as the 1200 wing. Ive rode newer, bigger, smaller older and the 1200 will hold its own with bikes costing 20 or more times as much as a 1200 will, in every category. And it will do it long after 90 percent of bikes have given up the ghost and headed for the big scrap yard in the sky :lol:
Has it got its quirks? Yep every bike does dont care what it is. Strong and weak points again every bike does.
To a guy like me a 400 dollar 1200 that will start, engine and tranny is good and its plastic is mostly there is a gem. Even if its leaking oil from every shock, and seal its got, runing on one bank cuz the carbs are sludged and aint charging two volts. \:d/ Especially if i happen to have 400 bucks to spare which is seldom :ymblushing: .
My buds and me will scrap hunt parts buy new on the small stuff, Ill climb on this here forum where ive got some friends ive met and a lot I havent yet and pick their noodles for info, bust knuckles, throw wrenches, cuss discuss and in a week or two be able to climb on the thing and ride it coast to coast with no more worry than if it was brand new.
Lot of folks can afford not to do that. And dont want too and I dont blame em. I aint one of em though. Nor is any of my crew. There are only two bikes though that Id put that sort of effort into brand wise. One is a Harley cuz once your done you can probably sell it for twice what you have in it if its old and been restored. The other is a 1200 Wing. Not cuz itll resale and make money. But once youve sorted a 1200 out headed off the quirks like the stator, by poorboying it or the electrical connections by soldering them, youve got a bike that will do anything a bike that cost 20 times as much will do, in comfort, and as dependably as the new one will and better than some new bikes on the market of various brands.
One thing ive learned with bikes over the years. If you fix something and it goes south right after you fixed it either you got bad parts, you missed something pertaining to what you were fixing, or just did it wrong. Happens to the best mechanics around. #-O
If your sick of the bike you just are and no crime in dumping it if you want. But I would never steer a friend away from a good 1200 wing. The bikes they can get at four times the price wont do anything better, most probably not as well as the 1200 and probably with more wrenching over time than the 1200. Once the known quirks which are mostly electrical are sorted out the 1200 is about as bullet proof as you can get. Happy motoring :d
That's what the thread was all about. What do you guys see in these things. The only thing I wonder about is all the leaky forks people have commented about. It ain't just me, and I've had many older bikes and they never leaked. Something is just not right about that.
#67 02-25-2012, 08:05 AM,
Rpmalerba Wrote:
Tropicalsuns Wrote:This is an interesting thread....

Just curious:

I have no idea what that means? Best I could think was if you bought one for 3,000.00 off eBay, and it was a rare loaded R/T SE and you wanted to bring it back to restored stock condition with all new sheet meatal and paint, you'd probably have at least 45,000.00 in it at todays prices. The question is just way to vague to answer.

If you're trying to compare a 400.00 dollar bike worth 1,500.00 The 3,000.00 price wouldn't be fair for the 45,000.00 car.
I'm not gonna change my mind. Honda reliability as I know it, is not in the 1200. I would advise anyone looking to pick up a 1200 to understand they are a strong bike but 25 years old and more things on them than most Hondas of the same age will need to be replaced, and god forbid the stator goes. Get it cheap like I did because you will be putting money into it and that's not the normal case with an old Honda in my experience. I don't think that comment is to bad, unless of course you say it on a 1200 forum. :d

Ever hear that expression, "One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch?" Just because you drew the short straw and ended up with a Gold Wing that you can't seem to properly repair doesn't mean that every Gold Wing is that way. Thousands and thousands of other GL1200 owners are quite satisfied with their GL1200's and sure some have had problems and difficulties with their bikes, which is very normal for any old machine, but, none ever to the extreme you have. I sincerely suggest that you unload your GL1200 bucket of problems onto someone here at a very discounted price and let them fix the bike up, appreciate and enjoy for the next 10 years or more. You may take a loss, but, your headaches will be over and someone, possibly, on this site will then own a motorcycle that they can fix up and be proud of, but, don't feel bad if they announce on the forum that they got your old bike working perfectly in one weekend and it now runs great. At the very least least you can part these old beauties out and quite often make more than you would from a complete bike sale and that can occur only because there are still so many of these old GL1200's still on the road today and that has got to mean something.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#68 02-25-2012, 09:49 AM,
"Ever hear that expression, "One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch?" Just because you drew the short straw and ended up with a Gold Wing that you can't seem to properly repair doesn't mean that every Gold Wing is that way. Thousands and thousands of other GL1200 owners are quite satisfied with their GL1200's and sure some have had problems and difficulties with their bikes, which is very normal for any old machine, but, none ever to the extreme you have. I sincerely suggest that you unload your GL1200 bucket of problems onto someone here at a very discounted price and let them fix the bike up, appreciate and enjoy for the next 10 years or more. You may take a loss, but, your headaches will be over and someone, possibly, on this site will then own a motorcycle that they can fix up and be proud of, but, don't feel bad if they announce on the forum that they got your old bike working perfectly in one weekend and it now runs great. At the very least least you can part these old beauties out and quite often make more than you would from a complete bike sale and that can occur only because there are still so many of these old GL1200's still on the road today and that has got to mean something."

I don't understand why you keep writing in the past? I've done a fine job of fixing the bike up. I've already posted several times the bike starts right up and drives fine. Not sure why you keep suggesting I have all these issues to fix and can't figure out how to fix them? The only reacurring issue I have that others have also said they have is the forks leaking after putting in Honda seals the correct way. And only one leaks. So not sure why you can't understand that I fixed the bike up, it s runs fine, but as far as Honda quality goes all one has to do is go on this forum and read thousands of the same issue all over the bike, that other Hondas the same year wouldn't have.
Let me help you out by posting some information that maybe will make you understand if you were buying one of these money pits here's what to look out for. Never have I seen any other honda have so many warnings signs when thinking of buying one.
Always glad to educate.

1. Exhausts usually rot around the area where the main silencer joins the narrow section under the panniers. The collector boxes rot under at the collar joints and the clamps usually fall apart when you try to undo the bolts. Honda OEM silencers are very expensive, but fortunately there are many good systems available at reasonable prices. Motad make a stainless system for around one-third the cost of the Honda unit.

2. Engines last for huge mileages, each reincarnation of the flat four cylinder lump has proved to be more reliable and smoother than the previous version, Honda no doubt are determined to improve the King of tourers as much as possible over the years. I know of one GL1200 that has covered over 250,000 (and many more with between 150-200,000) miles that have never needed a major overhaul during that time. A puff of grey smoke on start-up when cold usually indicates worn valve stem seals. If the smoke disappears after a few minutes then don't worry. This can happen even on low mileage engines and is more a case of age rather than mileage. The valve adjustment is hydraulic and needs no maintenance, but really high mileage units have been known to get a bit noisy and may require attention. The clunky gears are unfortunately quite normal. The pickup coils can fail and the symptoms are when the engine dies suddenly (usually when on the move) with no warning and even with the throttle open full. The coils require radiator & timing belt cover removal for access on the later models but the 1984 1200's have the coils located at the rear of the engine and the engine has to be removed for this. You can replace your alternator stator while you are at it! Starter motors can give trouble on all the four-cylinder Goldwings and what usually happens is that the starter operates fine when the engine is cold but when warm the starter turns slowly and the owner thinks his battery is going flat. What happens is that the bushes (usually the one in the starter end plate) that support the armature wear out and allow the armature coils (which expand slightly with the heat from the engine) to short off the motor housing. If you run a multi-meter from the housing to earth, sometimes you will find the housing is live! If you get the bushes sorted out sooner rather than later, you will save the expense of a new motor. The brushes mounting plate can come loose too because it is held in place with tabs and these can eventually develop play, which leads to a bad connection, overheating and sometimes the plate welds itself to the tabs! Twisting the tabs for a better connection will delay disaster in this area. None of the electrical specialists in Ireland that I know (and believe me I know plenty of them) can repair the armatures because of the way they are made.

3. Brakes are linked on this model and require a bit of work to keep them up to the job of stopping all that weight. Wings left lying up can suffer from seized calipers and will require stripping and cleaning to restore them to their previous efficiency.

4. Fork seals take a pounding from all the weight being thrown around and when replacing them, at least 20 weight fork oil is is preferred. The slider bushes are usually shot on more neglected machines when the oil has been allowed to turn to mush, so replace them too as the extra cost is quite small and may save you doing it all again.

5. Alternators are a common problem area on all of the early Wings, the GL1200 being the worst offender in this department. The connector block behind the left side cover in front of the battery suffers most because it collects all the muck from the road and needs to be cleaned and stuffed with dialectric grease regularly. The other connections involving the charging system that need checking include the connector just to the rear of the battery at the starter solenoid/main fuse connection and the one under the dummy tank to the left of the air filter which is the regulator/rectifier connector block. This one is the least likely to give trouble as it is protected from the elements, just as well too because the shelter assembly usually has to be removed for access to the connector block. The problems are compounded by owners who love to add lots of light bars and other power hungry accessories without bothering to check if they exceed the alternators capacity. The alternator itself can break down eventually on an old bike and requires engine removal to replace it. Honda never really got to grips with this problem (in spite of early recalls and uprating the alternators) and when replacing the alternator rotor, buy an aftermarket heavy duty item and dump the connector block and solder the wires together. When doing a quick check on an alternator, run a meter across the battery terminals with the engine running. Get someone to bring the revs up to about 2000 revs and if the reading is under 13 volts, prepare your self for a long weekend!

6. Swing arm bearings tend to be neglected by the time a Goldwing is on it's third or tenth owner and this can lead to some interesting and heartstopping moments when travelling at speed or on the twisties. Get this sorted asap, unless you are a lover of tight chests and pains in your left arm! Grabbing the rear wheel and pulling sideways and back and forth is not so easy with the weight of the differential, swingarm, wheel etc. in spite of what all the manuals say. Riding the bike is the real test (make sure the rear tyre has lots of meat left).

7. Steering head bearings are under a lot of stress with all the weight pushing against them and they are easily checked by slamming on the anchors at low speed. Worn bearings will make the front end clunk. Owners who neglect this area must love the hairy moments that such folly induces. Cheap to fix, so do it now and buy the chrome bits later on.

8. Rear drive can be a bit whiny on the 1200. Some earlier ones emitted a clicking sound from the rear of the bike and Honda did a recall. Some may have slipped through the net and it is worth listening out. The differential bearings can sound rough and Honda used to recommend that the diff was not serviceable and to buy a new unit. I checked the price of a new unit some years ago and almost collapsed with fright, so I stripped the diff and replaced the worn bearings (a fairly easy job) and it worked fine, not to mention saving a lot of dough. 1987 1200's were a lot quieter than previous versions. Some wheels have been known to strip the drive splines, all for the want of a little grease.

9. Plastics are generally quite robust. The trunk lid usually cracks at the corners and around the hinge mount. Plastic welding works for a while, the heavy lid usually puts paid to the weld after a few months. The panels are quite expensive and so are the stripe kits, so a cosmetically good and well looked after Goldwing with a high mileage can often work out a better buy than a low mileage one with tatty panels. It's worth noting that the "Plain Jane" unfaired GL1200 standard model (discontinued after 1985) went and stopped a lot better than it's overweight big brother.

10. Frames suffer on the GL1200 as well as the 1100, in certain areas. The side stand mounting point usually rusts away quietly from the road salt and the weight of the Wing means the beast eventually ends up on the engine guards. The main stand mounts also corrode on the GL1200 (more so than on the GL1100) and if the rear wheel is touching the ground with the bike on the main stand you are looking at problems. The swingarm housing can rot from the inside out and if it's allowed to rot away without being attended to you can probably expect some interesting effects on the bikes handling.

Electrics are something to be wary of on the LTD (1985) and Sei (1986) models. The added complications of computer controlled fuel injection can be a worry on a bike this old and electronic parts for these machines don't come cheap. This is a case where the condition of the bike is really important.

Yeah, great reliable bike.
#69 02-25-2012, 10:38 AM,
Your giving me a headache. B-( Obviously you have given up, so sell it and zip it. Can you understand that!
There are probably more GL12s on the road than any other older motorcycle, with the exception of maybe CB750s. You seem to be against putting in the time necessary, and would rather give up...honestly it's a $400 bike.
Every bike leaks something, sometime. You either fix it or live with it.......it's that simple. The prudent man would double check his work if the finished result was not satisfactory.

Attached Files
.jpg   istockphoto_343983-cranky-old-lady.jpg (Size: 104.46 KB / Downloads: 90)
#70 02-25-2012, 01:08 PM,
wildwing Wrote:Your giving me a headache. B-( Obviously you have given up, so sell it and zip it. Can you understand that!
There are probably more GL12s on the road than any other older motorcycle, with the exception of maybe CB750s. You seem to be against putting in the time necessary, and would rather give up...honestly it's a $400 bike.
Every bike leaks something, sometime. You either fix it or live with it.......it's that simple. The prudent man would double check his work if the finished result was not satisfactory.
So you're another one that can't read? I did fix it. Can you understand that? You guys are are so bias it's starting to become funny.
I would believe there are more Harleys on the road.
#71 02-25-2012, 01:13 PM,
Im not getting the money pit thing really. Ive had the stator go at 80,000 miles, (what bike hasnt in that amount of miles?) For about 80 bucks I put a car alternator on the thing end of story. My collector box has a hole few holes in it. When it gets bad enough will I run out and spend mega bucks on a used exhaust or Motad? No I dont have mega bucks. So Ill drop the exhaust and either cut the thing out and seal up each side, build a new box and weld it in or wrap a new metal shell around it and weld that on depending. header pipes ? pipe bender and welder make a new set.
I know guys that will put on a brand new set of tires in spring, ride 2000 miles maybe at most and have their tires replaced the next spring. Avons venoms, dunlops etc. rationale. They read somplace that it isnt safe to run a tire more than year Confusedhock: I happily grab those tires if they fit and run them till they wear out. A free Avon Venom is on the front of my bike right now that looks like new. Was bought new last spring and took off with 900 miles on it because it was a year old.
Bottom line is this. Yeah you can dollar yourself into the grave fixing stuff on anything if you insist on brand new parts, never fab anything yourself, etc etc. Timing belts on a wing are not an expensive item, unless you insist on Honda belts.

A leakey fork seal hasnt seemed to be a problem with any of the many guys i know around here on the 1200. Seen maybe two. My friend fixed one for a guy and had the same problem you did with one leaking as soon as it was fixed. He took it back off noted the new seal had got nicked slightly as it was driven in. Replaced that seal very carefully and no more leaks.
He lost a front universal on his own wing at about 125 thousand. Honda could find one for 250 bucks. We found a new one at a supplier for 75 bucks. See what I mean?
They arent money pits unless you make them money pits and honestly once sorted out even a poorly cared for one will give hardly any trouble at all.
Not picking on you, ive seen a lot of get em dont understand em, or where or how to get parts for em without breaking the bank. Like I said if i had what your asking id be on my way to pick it up this evening. Shame I dont cuz itd get the hide rode off it once the seal, ignition thing was fixed which should take about a day and night. :d
#72 02-25-2012, 01:26 PM,
When your done with me, go pick on this guy, he doesn't find it fun anymore either. You few just can't handle someone saying they are not as great as you say they are, you keep attacking me and get pissed when I comment back. Guess what? You zip it and we'll be done.

" That's OK Once you get all the mechanical parts working, the wiring and switches will start to keep you busy. I have put over 130,000 miles on mine(Has over 180,000) so cost per mile has been good but I'm just sick and tired of the constant break/fix thing anymore.I might as well own a old Harley. I just got through replacing a broken throttle cable and now the fork seals are leaking again for the 4th time, the fuel pump started ticking,the trunk just cracked,the horn switch quit,the rear shocks now leak down every 4 to 5 days and sometimes the contacts don't make a good connection in the ignition switch.
Top that with the MUCH better ride,much more comfortable and much smoother running of my Yamaha Venture and the GL-1200 is just not fun for me any more.
I've decided to not dump any more $$ into the now bottomless pit.
My GL-1200 has been a good "Beater" and has got me to work and back through rain,cold,sleet,snow and triple digit temps for quite some time but it's old and proving to me it can't/won't last forever.
I'm hoping the GL-1200 will last 3 or 4 more months so I can save up and buy another newer Venture to replace it with. "
#73 02-25-2012, 01:28 PM,
Oh im not picking on you at all. If you are sick of the bike and want a Yammie thats great. :d For most folks having a motorcycle is for fun. And if it aint fun no more for Petes sakes get rid of it. No crime at all.
My entire point here and like i said before im not that brand loyal to any bike, is out of all the bikes ive owned and known in almost 45 years of riding something, from Harleys to hondas to yammies to suzukis etc, the 1200 as an over all bike that will run cross country or around town is hard to beat. And one of the few bikes as old as they are that are as dependable as they are.
I dont argue brands of bikes. All have their strong and weak points by design. But the 1200 while not being perfect will hold its own against bikes much new including the vaunted and from what my buddies experience is with them over rated Venture. I like the new Venture as a short distance tourer of 300 or so miles a day. But know from riding with a lot of them that they dont do long distance as well as a 1200 even though they are 30 years newer. Or with any less problems.
Anything breaks down. anything with 180 thousand on it is gonna need some work. But finding a bike with that kind of milage on it that hasnt been a basket case at some point is rare.
That the great majority of them are still running with bikes in their class doing the long distance job they do as well as bikes 30 years newer is well, it just speaks for itself, it its a honda or a harley or a yammie or whatever. Have fun just wish i could afford that bike :lol:
#74 02-25-2012, 01:44 PM,
ghostrider52005 Wrote:Oh im not picking on you at all. If you are sick of the bike and want a Yammie thats great. :d For most folks having a motorcycle is for fun. And if it aint fun no more for Petes sakes get rid of it. No crime at all.
My entire point here and like i said before im not that brand loyal to any bike, is out of all the bikes ive owned and known in almost 45 years of riding something, from Harleys to hondas to yammies to suzukis etc, the 1200 as an over all bike that will run cross country or around town is hard to beat. And one of the few bikes as old as they are that are as dependable as they are.
I dont argue brands of bikes. All have their strong and weak points by design. But the 1200 while not being perfect will hold its own against bikes much new including the vaunted and from what my buddies experience is with them over rated Venture. I like the new Venture as a short distance tourer of 300 or so miles a day. But know from riding with a lot of them that they dont do long distance as well as a 1200 even though they are 30 years newer. Or with any less problems.
Anything breaks down. anything with 180 thousand on it is gonna need some work. But finding a bike with that kind of milage on it that hasnt been a basket case at some point is rare.
That the great majority of them are still running with bikes in their class doing the long distance job they do as well as bikes 30 years newer is well, it just speaks for itself, it its a honda or a harley or a yammie or whatever. Have fun just wish i could afford that bike :lol:
Awesome. You answered my original question perfect. Great to know it's reliable overall. My experience compared just to other Honda's I owned seemed different. Let's just ride. I'm probably keeping it. PEACE!!
#75 02-25-2012, 02:02 PM,