Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Head gasket repair question...
remember...... it's a Honda.

btw, the battery lasts longer and I can ride the bike longer distances when I put the plugs back in. 8)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#16 02-14-2012, 10:52 AM,
Plus the spark plugs last much longer when they are out. :lol:
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#17 02-14-2012, 01:20 PM,
Just to clarify something... I turned the engine over by hand a few times to verify the timing belt install. Should that test be done with the spark plugs installed? I did it without the plugs...
#18 02-14-2012, 04:15 PM,
Can be done either way Marty but its much, much easier with the plugs out.

#19 02-14-2012, 04:38 PM,
Thanks it turned fine so no worries...
#20 02-14-2012, 07:00 PM,
I think I've finally found proof of cylinder/coolant leak (unless anyone says different).The front right hand plug is clean(ish) and the others are black after riding and running in the shed.
[Image: 100_1056.jpg]
Cheers...Charlie
The lady walking ahead of me sped up so I did too, she began running so I ran too, she screamed so I screamed as well. I never even saw what we were running from.
#21 02-15-2012, 08:29 AM,
It could also mean that one carburetor needs cleaning which is causing that lighter spark plug cylinder to run lean. With all the spark plugs removed and the engine warm, place your finger tightly over the spark plug hole, acting as a valve, and then spin the engine with the starter for quite some time and see if you get any coolant to spit out of the spark plug hole. If the leak is severe enough you will get some coolant on your finger and spraying out.

#22 02-15-2012, 08:56 AM,
Will try that, should I let the carbs run out of gas first so I dont get petrol in the cylinder when looking for coolant?
Cheers...Charlie
The lady walking ahead of me sped up so I did too, she began running so I ran too, she screamed so I screamed as well. I never even saw what we were running from.
#23 02-15-2012, 10:12 AM,
That might be a good idea, although, the look, smell and taste of gas and coolant are quite different.

#24 02-15-2012, 12:03 PM,
coolant smells and tastes a bit sweet, while gasoline has a strong smell and an oily taste.

-don't ask

~O)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#25 02-15-2012, 02:21 PM,
Yep I've had plenty of unwanted tastes of them myself, I presume the palet is like a fine wine connesieur can tell exactly whats in there but if got a mouthfull of the two mixed it would just taste like s**t and wouldnt tell me much. At least that means I can drink cheap wine and it tastes great to me Tongue
Cheers...Charlie
#26 02-15-2012, 02:36 PM,
other tale-tale signs of coolant leaking into the cylinders is of course, white smoke which dissapates quickly (more like steam than smoke),
-no coolant leaking from the bike, yet the coolant level needs to be topped off every now-and-again,
-the sweet smell of coolant in the exhaust fumes,
-the slippery feel of coolant on your hands after holding them in front of the exhaust tips,
-oil in the coolant bottle,
-coolant in oil when servicing the oil,
-gunk which looks like milk chocolate on the underside of the radiator cap,
-a spark plug which looks like it has been steam cleaned

my favorite is the trail of white smoke telling you (and the rest of the world) where you have been riding (ah, the days of two-strokes!)

When the time comes to do the head gaskets, it will take approximately an hour to strip the bike down far enough to where you can take the heads off.
You will need temporary storage for all these parts, some parts are your easily breakable body parts, or easy to be damaged radiator fins so plan accordingly.
When I could, I put the nut, bolt, washer, screw back in where I took it from. Others I had sealable, plastic bags and I would bag and tag as I removed parts.
Makes for easy reassembling.
A large portion of your time will be spent cleaning the old gasket material off the surfaces of the heads, engine block, and water pipe elbows

When you do remove the heads, there is a very, very small (read: and easily losable) orifice which should have two different sized o-rings on it. Don't lose this piece while removing or cleaning the heads. Put them is a safe place!

Read, re-read, and re-read again the procedure and when the time comes to perform the maintenance, you will be comfortable with what lies ahead.

Good Luck

-Ride On ~O)
#27 02-15-2012, 03:10 PM,
Can I use ultra grey as the gasket on the coolant elbow?
#28 02-15-2012, 06:54 PM,
As an experiment sure, go ahead, but, if it was my bike I would use the correct gasket.

#29 02-15-2012, 07:05 PM,
..... but the job is ALWAYS easier if you have to do it again. :d

(use the proper gasket if you want to do it once)

~O)
#30 02-16-2012, 08:29 AM,