Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunlop eIII weather checking
I was cleaning bike yesterday and noticed tiny weather checks on my front tire. I purchased this tire in february
2011. It was garaged or covered when i wasn't riding it so i don't think it was sunshine. I have not used anything
except lemon pledge on them.
I read the warranty on them and it says warranty is void if any kind of dressing or petroleum product was used on
them. I plan on contacting Honda where i bought them today but was wondering if anyone else having
problem like this ? Everything else about tire looks and rides fine. About 4,000 miles on tire is all it has.
87 Interstate
Can't wait till my next ride !!!!
#1 01-02-2012, 07:31 AM,
Try checking the date on the side of the tire, it should tell you when they were made. Sometimes old stock is sold as new tires.
It should be something like (DOT 90MN4510) The last two numbers should be the date they were made.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#2 01-02-2012, 08:02 AM,
bluewing Wrote:Try checking the date on the side of the tire, it should tell you when they were made. Sometimes old stock is sold as new tires.
It should be something like (DOT 90MN4510) The last two numbers should be the date they were made.
That is correct. XXXX4510 means tire was manufactured in the 45th week of 2011. I install a lot of tires and we can't sell tires made after a certain date, even though they are 'new'. I would definitely check the date code.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic
#3 01-02-2012, 08:28 AM,
Push for the warranty. Shouldn't do that early in it's life. Pledge or not. Although at 4000 miles, be aware that you'll probably get it "pro-rated".

Don't know if anyone else is having a problem with that particular E3 tire in the "wing world". However, there have been some reports (and some good pictures) of certain model Avon's and Shinko's blowing chunks, bubbling and de-laminating from the casings. This is from the Long Distance / sport-touring groups.
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#4 01-02-2012, 09:10 AM,
Just checked the date code and its was 4210 which would place it in November december of 2010.
so the Honda dealer was closed today will call tomorrow and give you the story then. Thanks for the info
guys your the best.
87 Interstate
#5 01-02-2012, 06:36 PM,
Well talked to the dealership today and i bought the front tire in april of 2011 and i have 1980 miles on that tire.
He told me that Dunlop will not warranty weather checking in the tire. He said if i wanted they will pull the tire and
send it to dunlop for evaluation but that could take up to a month or more and i would be down then if i didn't buy
another tire. He said in thirty years he had never heard of them covering weather checking. So i ask him if this is
something i should be concerned with or not. He said he wanted me to bring it in for him to look at. but he didn't think from my description that i should be worried. So now i think i should look for a company that would cover
there tire if has a defect as i believe this is a defect not from weather as it has not ever had long term exposure
to weather its covered when parked it spent the summer in Montana mostly in a garage. So that tells me it not the
supposed weather check but its a defect. So i will think strongly and do some investigation on the warranty before i spend that kind of money on tires. Interested to hear your comments.
87 Interstate
#6 01-05-2012, 09:59 PM,
Time to take good pictures and Email them directly to Dunlop. Also find the regional manager for Dunlop and talk to him.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#7 01-06-2012, 08:27 AM,
Thanks that is a good suggestion i'm on it.
87 Interstate
#8 01-06-2012, 07:14 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mixing EII's and EIII's ccdouble 8 2,858 05-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Last Post: ccdouble