Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
mileage
after a couple of days riding my mileage seems to suck I'm about 210 km or about 130 miles when I hit the last bar on the fuel gauge and it takes 14 liters to fill it up, and with a 22 litre tank that means I have about 8 litres left or about 2 gallons, with a US dash I run in mph but can can change it to kph so what is the adverage I should be getting in miles or km per tank
or maybe it's time to get the carbs adjusted.
#1 04-21-2007, 04:30 AM,
Don't know exactly,but I used to get anywhere from 250 to 300 klm before the low fuel light came on.This is riding 2 up mostly backroads and probably never much over 110 klm per hour.No multi-lane riding for me if I can avoid it,I'm never in that much of a rush when biking.
I used to check the low fuel light operation every year before going too far.When it comes on there is nearly exactly 4 litres left in the tank.
Fatwing Chris
If Id'a known it would last this long I would've taken better care of it !!!
[Image: NewBabyPicsSpring024SmallCustom-1.jpg]
#2 04-21-2007, 06:52 AM,
Forgot to mention that this was on my 85 ASPY.Don't remember what the 84 was like,but I would think pretty close to the same.
Fatwing Chris
If Id'a known it would last this long I would've taken better care of it !!!
[Image: NewBabyPicsSpring024SmallCustom-1.jpg]
#3 04-21-2007, 06:54 AM,
If I'm on the Interstate doing 75 to 85 mph I get around 34 mpg.
If I'm on the mountain roads or back roads and keep it under 65mph I get between 39 to 42 mpg.

This is on my 84 aspy.

I've gotten as low as 32 mpg and as high as 44 mpg. Depending on how I drive. These figures are riding alone and on day trips. 8)
#4 04-21-2007, 12:08 PM,
longhaireddwb Wrote:If I'm on the Interstate doing 75 to 85 mph I get around 34 mpg.
If I'm on the mountain roads or back roads and keep it under 65mph I get between 39 to 42 mpg.

This is on my 84 aspy.

I've gotten as low as 32 mpg and as high as 44 mpg. Depending on how I drive. These figures are riding alone and on day trips. 8)
Maybe it's the altitudes? Haven't had the 1200 in the Rockie's, but I did notice I got less mileage this past year on our trip out west in the Merc. It lost a 2-3 MPG in Colorado and other higher elevations traveled.
[Image: e9d27f61.jpg]
That would be reason enough for me to take a serious look at my '85's health. 45-50/51 mpg is normal on mountain roads and back roads and state roads at true 55 mph, and that's two up. The variation depends more on whether I'm alone or lead (I'm more steady with starts, stops, and speed changes) or riding in a group (where I make larger & more frequent corrections to speed to keep group closed up)

Interstate at higher speeds, it will drop to 42-45, tank to tank to tank, all day long, but we are talking a true speed of 65-70 ish (indicated 70/71 to 77/78).

My 1200's speedo is exactly 10% off, reading 77 at true speed 70, 66 at true speed 60, etc ... checked with my issued Kustom Signals radar set strapped on and plugged in and one antenna aimed forward on a mount. I used a label maker and made a reminder and applied it to the Panasonic tape cover.

Now, my Trike get's numbers like 30 on the interstate or 34-37 on back roads, etc. It's a '97 1500, pulling two big "sails" called "rear fenders" and etc. :lol:
Make Courtesy Your "Code of the Road" ......

[Image: 85Winggoodphoto500w.jpg]

...... and whatever you do ... Have a Safe Trip! :shy:
#5 04-21-2007, 01:18 PM,
Last weekend was our first over the road trip as we went to the Laughlin RiverRun for the day.

With new plugs and a packed 2 up bike that carried about 450lbs we only got 35mpg. It is 100 highway miles 1 way.

The elevation is 2500 feet and temps were about 100. Running at 70-75 indicated speed is this type of mileage expected?

I thought I would get about 45.....
#6 05-03-2007, 09:18 PM,
If I was comparing it to mine. I'd say that with all that weight and stuff you are probably about right. I can spend all day in the mountains and I get 46-48 mpg. If I'm doing 75-80 on the interstate I get down to 34 mpg. I've got as low as 26 before but that was running hard with a head wind and the carbs needing some help.
#7 05-04-2007, 04:49 PM,
I just noticed that my gas mileage has dropped, I did a check and I was getting 34 mpg. I had to change my air cleaner do to a recent incident and I synced the carbs, now I am getting 49 mpg. What a great difference.[/i]
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#8 06-25-2007, 06:31 PM,
maybe a new K&N and a carb sinc would do the job, I have a stock air filter
#9 07-10-2007, 08:09 PM,
I've been watching my mileage close this spring.
An interesting thing I've noticed is I get my best mileage riding 1 up and pushing it hard.
Riding easy 1 up or 2 up I drop about 5 mpg.
I got my best the other week riding with a bunch of Hardly guys...oppps I mean Harley guys. :wink: These guys love the sound of their bikes and lay into them hard whenever they can. (I was just a weee bit over 50 mpg)
I took the old wing up to red line a few times, mainly because I couldn't hear my engine over the Hardleys. I ended up watching my rpm's for my shifting points. Gotta be careful doing that though might run over a Hardly (er....I mean Harley Tongue )

I am wondering if by keeping the rpm's up if the carbs cut out the slow speed circuit and result in better mileage. I dont really know the operational theory behind these carbs. Round side carbs have different circuits depending on throttle position. Does anyone know for sure how the wing carbs work :?:
#10 07-11-2007, 11:41 AM,
magoo Wrote:after a couple of days riding my mileage seems to suck I'm about 210 km or about 130 miles when I hit the last bar on the fuel gauge and it takes 14 liters to fill it up, and with a 22 litre tank that means I have about 8 litres left or about 2 gallons, with a US dash I run in mph but can can change it to kph so what is the adverage I should be getting in miles or km per tank
or maybe it's time to get the carbs adjusted.

I used to be able to get about 350 Km. out of a tank of gas but that was almost bone dry, way past the flashing last marker. Now I think it's more like 300 Km. and I better get gas now of course it all depends on the wind, engine tune, my speed and how I accelerate, usually by this point I am praying for a gas station, feathering the throttle and coasting through stop signs and I'm looking for all the downhill roads I can find. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#11 07-11-2007, 11:49 AM,
What's with all the KILOMETERS??? Eh????? :lol: (sorry...I AM wiseguydave :wink: )
#12 07-11-2007, 11:55 AM,
Just for you: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.csgnetwork.com/automotiveconverters.html">http://www.csgnetwork.com/automotiveconverters.html</a><!-- m -->
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#13 07-11-2007, 12:08 PM,
wiseguydave Wrote:What's with all the KILOMETERS??? Eh????? :lol: (sorry...I AM wiseguydave :wink: )

Not everything available on the internet is US based, just wait for our compatriots from Quebec to come aboard then you will need an interpreter too Confusedhock: :twisted:

It's just that the best 1200 GoldWing forum is Canadian based but everyone is welcome.... Smile
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#14 07-11-2007, 02:16 PM,
Yaaaaa, CANADA!!!
#15 07-11-2007, 05:09 PM,