Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Blowing fuses
I'm popping fuses like crazy. It is the 15 amp fuse that enables the tail lights and my dash lights. I'd guess there is a short in the line SOMEWHERE. Question is how to find it with tearing the whole bike apart and taking all winter!
Bill
#1 10-27-2011, 09:07 AM,
I'd start by pulling EVERY light on the circuit. This MIGHT eliminate a shorted socket in the "sprung" condition. If no joy, disconnect the rear harness. Still ugly? Reconnect rear harness and pull dash connector.

If it still pops fuses, reconnect dash harness and disconnect one side of the battery and measure across one of the taillight bulb sockets. You'll probably see either a dead short or close to it. (If not, this will be tough).

If you see the short, then the fun starts. You'll just have to work between the meter and juggling harness and pinch points. The idea is to follow the meter to the lowest resistance reading on the circuits. You might get lucky and find the bad actor right away by wiggling. Poking the wiring can be effective, but not the most desirable. Hopefully, you can get close by hitting junction points (i.e. connectors).

Good luck. I hate shorts.
----------------------------------------------------------
'84 Aspencade, '94 Vmax
#2 10-27-2011, 10:49 AM,
first thing i'd do is pull the seat off and pull the connectors for the lft and rt bag lites and the trunk lights and see if fuses still blow
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 10-27-2011, 11:14 AM,
A freind on a different board posted this. It sounds resonable, AND Steve is a fellow Winger!

Originally Posted by Steve
Is the Wing new to you or have you had it for a while and this is simply a new condition?

If you have had the bike for a while, what did you work on just before it started popping fuses?

If the Wing is new to you, it's going to be a lot of guessing, but start looking for pinched areas in the wiring harness.

Since that one fuse powers stuff at both ends of the bike, you will have to remove some 'Tupperware' to check it all, but start with removing the "shelter" (the fake gas tank) and looking at the harness where it goes up near the steering stem. Also check under the seat, to make sure nothing is caught there, then follow the wires back to the tail light assembly and the trunk wiring.

The bike is new to me. The only fuse blowing is the one 15 amp fuse running the rear lights and the dash meters. I've done no work to this end of the bike. The pinched wire idea is the most appealing as a source of the trouble.
I'm at work tonight so it may have to wait until after the snow we are expecting this weekend is gone!
Thanks for the input,
Bill
#4 10-28-2011, 01:57 PM,
I would agree with Neoracer
start with disconnecting the plugs under the seat,
as a truck driver for 20 years I have seen many strange things with lights.
check the easy solutions first, try to find where the source of the problem is,
once the source is found try replacing the bulb, I once had an #1157 bulb short out inside, the two filaments were touching each other and shorting out and blowing fuses.
Johan
#5 10-29-2011, 09:35 AM,
Where is the tail light sensor located in the '85 Ltd? I was blowing fuses and then it stopped but not tail lights at all now ?
John - Space Coast, Florida
#6 12-04-2011, 07:42 AM,
its located behind the starter solenoid
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#7 12-04-2011, 07:44 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  84 Aspencade Fuse keeps blowing 4 2,259 12-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky