Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Has anyone experience a flat tire while riding your Wing?
unionjack Wrote:Still the nice thing about a GL1800 is you can lay her down on the right side, extend the center stand, then undo the lug nuts and lift off the rear wheel easier than a car wheel.

Now ride into town as a passenger, get a new tire mounted, and then return and install it back onto the bike again.

This only takes a few minutes to remove and reinstall the wheel using this method.

Can anyone confirm if this method will work on the GL1200i? If so, it could be a lifesaver... BTW, why do yo have to extend the center stand?
#16 08-08-2011, 04:06 PM,
Never a flat on the wing... yet. However, is it appropriate to tell about my Yamaha at 55mph. I lived in Orange County and was tooling along when, not a flat, but the rear end locked up. \:d/ I immediately pulled in the clutch... nothing. I had spend my youth racing 125cc dirt bikes and I kept up the mantra... point front tire ahead... point front tire ahead.. I can say, this is the right answer. But, what no one told me was that the firont tire may be pointing straight... but I was kissing my own ass as the rear end of the bike came around and tried to take over the driving. Then the back end whiplashed and went back, and around to the other side of the bike, I guess still trying to take over the driving. B-( I honestly don't remember how many times that happened and as the rear wheel was locked up, I'd like to say I probably stopped fast; but, when everything slows down like it does when you know you're going to die... 8-X it seemed like a half a minute. So, I expect that it will be something like that with the wing but with a bigger bull and a longer finish as I've seen 80+mph. Yep, a quick stop while fighting a 800lb bronco :YMCOWBOY: . I just know I will do my best to point the front tire in the direction I want to go, and try not to get cocky. Yee Haw! I fear a front blow out more. Never had one of those... just saying de word make me nervous. :-SS Someone said Michelin makes an airless tire... anyone. :YMAPPLAUSE:
#17 08-08-2011, 04:25 PM,
Cyberchip Wrote:
unionjack Wrote:Still the nice thing about a GL1800 is you can lay her down on the right side, extend the center stand, then undo the lug nuts and lift off the rear wheel easier than a car wheel.

Now ride into town as a passenger, get a new tire mounted, and then return and install it back onto the bike again.

This only takes a few minutes to remove and reinstall the wheel using this method.

Can anyone confirm if this method will work on the GL1200i? If so, it could be a lifesaver... BTW, why do yo have to extend the center stand?

GL1800 has a single sided swingarm that makes this possible
#18 09-20-2011, 10:04 AM,
I had a flat a couple weeks ago. Well, actually half a flat, got back home prior to the tire losing all the air.

Stop n Go plugger. the only way to go. The one Neoracer posted the link for. I put about 1000 miles on a plugged tire until my new tire came, never lost any air.

As far as getting the bike up on the stand with a flat, the only way I know to do that is with a couple strong guys helping.
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#19 09-20-2011, 01:48 PM,
I ordered a Stop-n-go plugger -it looks like a nice kit - AND they sell the air line that was missing from our Aspy when we got it...so I have one of those in the saddlebag...

Now I am equipped to repair on the road this should ensure never having a puncture...

#20 09-22-2011, 06:28 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  front tire has worn flat on left side old gold 4 4,140 04-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Last Post: bs175dths
  Flat Tire woes Flashfire65 11 7,380 05-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Last Post: KnoxSwift
  Flat Tire Harry Slimm 12 4,607 04-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Guest
  Tire life - what's your experience? wingandaprayer 2 1,599 11-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Guest
  Flat Tire - Finally fixed Goldwings 4 Ever 12 5,969 01-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Last Post: 85GL1200I
  Very good experience with American Motorcycle Tire 6 3,336 06-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Last Post: 85GL1200I