Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
I just got a New to me GL1200I
I just bought my first Goldwing..and I am looking forward to getting it ready to ride..it is a 85' Interstate, and as of now it is in parts in the shop..I have a huge list of things that I am doing to it before it is ready to ride.
The previous owner had a fire in the air box ( by looking att he carbs he was running it on starting fluid I think) and the result was a fire exstinguiser being sprayed into the air box.
But the mess is cleaned up waiting for some seals and it will go back on, replaced (this is the list); Timing belts carbs and intake, both tires, brakes (both masters and the calipers and new pads) fork seals, swing arm bearings and seals, head set bearings, both wheel bearings and seals, Seat is being re covered, new fuel pump, water pump, clutch and springs, clutch slave, radiator fan, thermostat, coolant sender, upper and lower coolant hoses and clamps, Alt, stator, starter, changed all the fluids, and I will test all the electrical componets and replace the ones that are weak or bad.
And I am working to get this done by the end of Oct to mid Nov 2011.
I just finiahed restoring a 1978 Yamaha XS750E, and the Goldwing is an amazing bike!
But I am looking forward to reading all the post on your site..this is a great place, and alot of great information..thank you.
Paul
Hillsboro, Oregon
#1 09-17-2011, 05:58 AM,
Sounds like you have it all planned.

Welcome from Ontario
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 09-17-2011, 06:00 AM,
Welcome from Aldergrove BC..
Johan
#3 09-17-2011, 07:23 AM,
And another Welcome - this time from Alberta.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#4 09-17-2011, 07:32 AM,
Welcome from Massachusetts!
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#5 09-17-2011, 09:34 AM,
Hello from Ohio.... :lol:
#6 09-18-2011, 07:04 AM,
Welcome from Baltimore Ontario.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#7 09-18-2011, 05:14 PM,
Welcome aboard from Georgia.

Sounds like a worthwhile project, of course this board has all the expert advise you will ever need.
Remember, No matter where you go...There you are!

Here is where I have ridden my 1984 GL1200I
I completed the lower 48 states in August 2009, riding the whole way with my Dad

[Image: VisitedStatesMap-1.jpg]
#8 09-19-2011, 10:28 PM,
Well this week should be pretty busy, it looks ike the majority of the parts will be here throughout the week.
so I am looking forward to putting it back the other way. there is alot to look at here, I have been reading for a few days now.
Paul
Hillsboro, Oregon
#9 09-19-2011, 11:49 PM,
Welcome from Kentucky. Just a suggestion from mine and about a thousand others expierience. If I had the bike all apart like that id do the alternator conversion on it and save myself a lot of trouble later on taking the engine out to replace a stator. :d . Just a suggestion mind you. but youll be glad you did later on. :d
Ghost.President: G.M.M.C.C.
Member:Patriot Guard Riders
#10 09-21-2011, 08:41 PM,
I read the information on the Alt conversion..I have a cpl questions? does the front pully seal up so crap doesnt get into the timing belts? and is it covered up by the lower fairing? other than those ..I like that system, thanks for the idea, and the info.
Paul
Hillsboro, Oregon
#11 09-25-2011, 01:21 AM,
the pulley is not sealed per se but is only given enough clearance as necessary when installing,have never heard anyone having a problem
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#12 09-25-2011, 04:58 AM,
My buddy has had the conversion done for a little over two years now and rides rain shine mud whatever and no problems at all. Ive had mine done for a little while now and also ride rain gravel roads, dirt wherever i need to go and no problems either.
There are if you look close drain slots in the timing covers at the bottom so it isnt a totally sealed set up from the factory. As close as the pulley and all sets behind the radiator and with a spinning pulley in front of the hole I dont see how anything much could get in there.
Ghost.President: G.M.M.C.C.
Member:Patriot Guard Riders
#13 09-30-2011, 11:41 PM,
ghostrider52005 Wrote:Welcome from Kentucky. Just a suggestion from mine and about a thousand others expierience. If I had the bike all apart like that id do the alternator conversion on it and save myself a lot of trouble later on taking the engine out to replace a stator. :d . Just a suggestion mind you. but youll be glad you did later on. :d

+10!!!
The Alternator conversion for the GL1200 is a must!
#14 10-01-2011, 12:09 PM,
Well this week should be the push to re assemble the bike.the new rear shock bushings will be in Friday, that will be the last of the main parts to put the dress back on.
the fairing is allmost done and back together, the new tires are on, brakes done, the wire harness is all clean and back on, the carbs are finished and back on.. all the lights in the dash are replaced, new cables and speedo cable.the forks are finished and back on, all the masters are finished, and the clutch is in and finished.
all the fluids have been changed, new filters are in..and I will be doing the alt coversion after the first of the year. (thanks guys)
but next month I will get it started and tune the carbs.
but then it is on the back burner till the first of the year, the Yamaha is going to get sent out for paint, and the chrome will go with the wing parts to get re plated.
And I have my list of parts to re build the motor..so I think next winter or the one after I will pull the motor out and start on that
but I will get some finished photos posted as soon as it starts to look like a bike again.
Paul
Hillsboro, Oregon
#15 10-17-2011, 08:10 AM,