Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
GL1200 Sei Stalling, Stuttering
Thanks for that data. I will forward the memo to mech. He did all the posted suggestions up to and including checking the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure and all is normal according to tests. He seems to be coming to the conclusion that there is a problem with a temperature sensor. He was wondering where that sensor was and if it could be easily checked? Also, he is not sure if there is a sensor for the rad fan as well as another for the fuel (ie choke). He is noting that the bike burns very rich and some signal might be telling the computer to run the bike rich, i.e. in "choke" mode. If anyone has some experience with this, any data is helpful. The only other thing that I had done along with entering the Sea Foam into the fuel system was that I had the rad antifreeze replaced by the regular mech who worked on my bike. This was done because I had no data on when the bike had that last done. I don't see that as a problem, but in troubleshooting this problem, I am systematically trying to think of anything that was done.

So as matters stand, we are still struggling with the original unresolved problem.
Also still looking for a 'cone filter" for the fuel pump is anyone has a spare one.

Chuck
#31 10-01-2011, 12:41 AM,
Your engine hase 2 temperature sensors. One is located in the air filter cover and it senses intake air temp and the other is located on the top right front of the engine screwed into the thermostat housing (don't confuse it with the fan sensor under the gooseneck over the thermostat.) Both of these sensors can cause the problem you indicate so you must check both. If you look on page 10-30 in the manual I sent you will find the test procedures.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#32 10-01-2011, 04:04 AM,
Ok, thanks on that.
#33 10-01-2011, 11:52 AM,
It has been a month. Are you riding?
Let us know.

Thanks
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#34 11-07-2011, 01:53 PM,
Hey Guys,
It has been a long haul with my SEi, and the stuttering fouling and stalling.
Went through the gauntlet checking things with my mechanic.

After the Sea Foam the bike just went bad, so...

Plugs,
Air Filter,
Fuel Filter,
Fuel Pressure regulator,
All fuel drained,
Air Temp Sensor,
Coolant sensor,
Checked some vacuum hoses,
Checked electrical connections,
Checked leds on main computer

Nothing worked.

Finally, decided to go to the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)
Mech took a reading on it and it was way off.

Found a TPS / Throttle body in Wyoming. Bought it.
Had it installed and after a year of misses it seems we hit the jack pot.

Bike on short ride so far seems to be running well.
Fan switch was ordered as fan comes on way too prematurely, so that will be in next week.

Hope to go out for a good ride in a few weeks. Weather in Vancouver sucks right now.

Thanks for all the advices, and encouragement, and I think we are going to have a riding season on this bike this year.

Chuck
#35 03-29-2012, 10:45 PM,
Hi Chuck, I have the 85 LTD and I am glad to read your update.
maybe we can get together and compare notes on these old bikes and being that we both have the FI version maybe we can help each other out along the way if we need.
Johan
#36 03-30-2012, 12:11 PM,
Thanks Johan!
I see you are in Aldergrove. I am in the Central City area.. Let's do stay in touch. I am hoping all is going to be well. But I still have the compressor to repair, but not a big priority.

I also have a disk with LTD/SEi Data as well as a supplementary update manual for the LTD/SEi

Send me an email. Maybe we could get together for a ride.

Chuck
#37 03-30-2012, 06:35 PM,