Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermittent Clicking
After returning from a 9,000 mile tour last summer, when I moved the bike (1985 GL1200A 142,000 miles) I heard a clicking sound from the back. Assuming it was the rear wheel bearing, I replaced that part, inspected the rear drive and coated the splines with Honda Moly 60. Clicking was gone . . . until 3,000 later. A few weeks ago the clicking returned. Seems to come and go. Any ideas?
JCMaun
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 VF700S
1985 VF500C

[Image: 54u6wo.jpg][Image: 8wwpj8.jpg]
#1 08-17-2011, 08:17 AM,
Hmmm, this sounds all to familiar to me as my 84 does exactly the same thing even though I have checked it over thouroughly and so have several other qualified GL1200 folks. It doesn't seem to be driveline because it makes no difference wether I am on or off the throttle or if I lean to one side or another. Everything checked out good and normal when I removed the swingarm and inspected everything back of there. My only guess at this point is to remove the rear brake pads and bevel the edges of the rear pads in the hope that doing so will resolve the noise. Could also be a hairline cracked rear rotor that only acts up when hot or distorted. Let me know what you discover and I will report back to you on what I find out. NOTE: At the suggestion of other "wise" folks on this site I was advised to turn up the stereo and since then the noise hasn't bothered me at all.LOL Just make certain that everything is correct on the bike before you drown it out with the stereo. Also, leave a little space in one of the saddlebags in the remote chance that the noise stops and something falls off your bike. LOL Just kidding, but, it sure would be nice to locate the source of that clicking and get it sorted out, finally.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 08-17-2011, 09:57 AM,
OK, at least somewhat comforting to hear I'm not the only one with this anomaly. My initial concern was that "something" would go more than click and lock up the rear wheel!
JCMaun
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 VF700S
1985 VF500C

#3 08-17-2011, 07:02 PM,
I just drove hundreds of miles this past weekend and nothing fell off or caused me grief on my trip but the noise was definitely there before I left on my trip. I will find it someday but for now I am going to ride and not worry too much about it because I have checked everything 3 times and still can't find the source of the noise. Keep in touch please.

#4 08-17-2011, 07:07 PM,
Well, had some clicking before going on a 17 day, 4,200 mile trip to Arkansas, returning via the Natchez Trace. Never clicked once on the trip. Go figure.
JCMaun
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 VF700S
1985 VF500C

#5 10-19-2011, 06:54 AM,
Hmmm, OK I wonder if loading your bike up for the trip had anything to do with the clicking? that's if you did carry more than normal during the trip?
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#6 10-19-2011, 07:22 AM,
In my case the clicking did not change wether I was riding single or 2 up fully loaded. The only variable that I ran into was if I swerved the bike back and forth the clicking would diminish if it was there, but, it wasn't always there and the swerving would not bring it on.

#7 10-19-2011, 09:53 AM,
Pads hitting the edges of the heat grooves in the rear rotor?

Mine has always done that when backing up too.

Try lifting the rear wheel off the ground and spinning it by hand forwards and backwards, hit the brake pedal and then do it again.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#8 10-19-2011, 12:44 PM,
Thanks for the tips unionjack but I've done just as you suggest at least 20 times and nothing came of it as strange as that might sound especially since I've worked on so many of these 1200's. Had the driveshaft, rear wheel, swing arm and brake caliper all off and inspected yet no problem was apparent. Even had other 1200 guys check it while it was all apart and nothing was found. Watch the problem end being a one legged cricket trying to get out of the battery box or something like that. :lol:

#9 10-19-2011, 02:12 PM,
I'm curious if anyone found *a* cause of this? My '84 Aspencade developed an odd intermittent clicking in the rear after replacing my rear tire. Everything is tight, tire not hitting, noise doesn't go away when I brake, continues when I pull in the clutch, and like someone else said, I have this nightmare idea that the rear is going to lock up! I'll be tearing the rear down this weekend to replace a worn rotor, but if anyone can save me some time troubleshooting I'd sure appreciate it.......
#10 03-20-2012, 09:50 AM,
All I can say is check to see if the brake rotor is touching anything also carefully inspect the rotor for almost imperceptable cracks, check the wheel bearings and the drive splines and check the driveshaft splines. If everything looks proper and correct, then lube everything as specified in the manual and just ride. For all we know it could be the damper inside the engine causing things to make noise at the back. That damper is spring loaded with a very heavy spring and if there are wear marks on the v-groove inside the damper then perhaps one section is sticking then sliding inside the socket and resonating out the back when it releases, of course that's just a wild guess but I've tried everything at the back to solve this riddle but got no where at the rear wheel, final drive, splines, wheel bearings and axle and brakes which all showed good. Good luck and let us know what you find please.

#11 03-20-2012, 02:27 PM,
admin Wrote:In my case the clicking did not change wether I was riding single or 2 up fully loaded. The only variable that I ran into was if I swerved the bike back and forth the clicking would diminish if it was there, but, it wasn't always there and the swerving would not bring it on.

If I would paint my bike yellow, I'd have Vic's twin. My bike does the exact same thing... always has. Sometimes I won't hear the clicking noise for a couple/few weeks and then out of the blue, she'll start clicking. Riding in circles (in either direction) in my side street at a snails pace will almost make it go away. Straighten her up and the clicking is back. I take her up the street or around the block, come back and the click is gone. Could happen again tomorrow morning or it may not happen again for another week or two. I quit worrying about it, however it is always in the back of my mind and I very seldom forget about it. It actually makes me feel better that I'm not alone on this. I had the rear end and final drive rebuilt last summer with excellent, like new parts so I just can't fret about it, but I don't like the click!
#12 03-20-2012, 06:06 PM,
admin Wrote:Watch the problem end being a one legged cricket trying to get out of the battery box or something like that. :lol:
Hey, I was going to suggest putting a couple of big lizards in your saddlebags. They love them tasty crickets.... :lol: :lol: :YMPEACE:
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic
#13 03-20-2012, 06:25 PM,
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#14 03-21-2012, 09:50 PM,
I put the bike up on the center stand yesterday, started it up and put it in gear. Using a stethoscope I chased it down to a wheel bearing. Put new bearings in it and taking it out today :-)
#15 04-01-2012, 06:45 AM,