Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Won't Start. Why come?
Howdy,

I'm in the process of installing the Poor Boy conversion. I'm not a mechanic, and I have other priorities, so this will take a while for me.
I'm breaking the project down into small, doable segments. I'd replace the timing belts and now I want to start it to make sure I did that correctly before I move on.
My plan was to start the bike and make sure it ran as well as it did when I started this project.

During the dismantle I realized that putting it back together again would require as much access room as possible. The upper radiator hose in particular looks like it might be a bear.
So I took the upper fairing off, even though that wasn't part of the instructions. Also, I took the battery out and hooked it up to the maintenance charge. This must have been a mistake, #-O
as now the battery is dead in one cell. The battery was only a year old too! OK, so I jumped the bike with the battery in the truck.
Turns over OK, but there isn't even the slightest sign that it wants to fire. I pulled a plug to check, and it's gettin gas, so that's not it.
The bike has been sitting for about 3 months without running, though before I tore it apart it ran smooth as a well balanced top. :x

Question. If I have a timing belt that's off maybe one tooth, it would still try to fire wouldn't it?
Question. Does the upper fairing have to have the wiring hooked up to complete the system for the bike to run?
Question. Any other ideas or suggestions?

I'm thinkin, I probly should have just saved up my pennies and paid a mechanic to do this. Which is exactly why I took it down the way it is so that it's much more difficult for me to do that.
I know that I'm a semi-smart person with some problem solving skills and I know there are people out there that can't help.
Which means like always, I just gotta ask questions and get it done! @-)

Thanks in advance. :YMPEACE:
1985 GL1200a
Live to ride,
Ride to live!
#1 08-11-2011, 02:10 PM,
SKYMAJIC, TAKING THE UPPER FAIRING OFF IS NOT SOMETHING YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE TO INSTALL THE EXTERNAL ALTERNATOR. YOU HAVE TO MOUNT THE ALTERNATOR TO THE FAIRING AFTER MAKING THE MOUNT. THE UPPER RADIATOR HOSE IS NOT A PROBLEM. JUST LEAVE IT ON THE RADIATOR WHEN TAKING IT OFF THE ENGINE.

THE FAILURE TO FIRE MAY BE THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE DISCONNECTED THE IGNITION SYSTEM. NEVER HAVING REMOVED MY FAIRING, I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH HAS TO BE DISCONNECTED TO GET IT OFF. SOME OF THE GUYS ON THIS FORUM WILL BE ABLE TO TELL YOU.

AS FOR THE TIMING BELTS, ONE TOOTH OFF WON'T KEEP IT FROM FIRING. IF YOU DIDN'T MOVE THE CAMS OR TURN THE ENGINE WHILE THE BELTS WERE OFF YOU SHOULD BE GOOD IN THAT RESPECT. lUCK.
bOB
#2 08-11-2011, 02:54 PM,
Thanks for the reply Bob,

The upper faring comes off, and the brackets that hold the alternator are still on the bike. Having the upper faring off, I was able to remove the bracket that needed some cutting.
In this way I insured there would be no slipping of the grinder or cutter into the plastic, or other metal parts. After cutting and grinding it smooth, I was also able to apply several coats of paint.

Though I don't know about the wiring in the faring and how that might effect the starting system. Looking at the fairing, I don't see anything that should be required to make it run.
But I'm not a mechanic. Maybe if the oil pressure reading sensor isn't connected to the idiot light it won't run, or some other such thing. The starting system isn't attached to the faring.

Having the fairing off does make everything easier. The man bitch about it is putting it back together, by your self, and having to hold it in place while reaching into a very tiny space,
with great big hands and fingers, to reconnect the harness connections, and not damaging any plastic. Very frustrating proposition, which is why I'm asking about the upper faring and the motor operation.
1985 GL1200a
Live to ride,
Ride to live!
#3 08-11-2011, 03:16 PM,
Your bike being an Aspencade has a LOT of electronics in the fairing. Get the fairing back on the bike and I'm willing to bet that you'll be back on track. One step at a time and you'll be fine.
Scotty P
Grafton, Ontario, Canada
1997 GL1500 SE
Gone, but not forgotten:
1985 GL1200I
1985 GL1200A
[Image: ON13_Avatar.jpg]
My Red Knights Chapter
My Professional Page
Facebook & LinkedIn
#4 08-11-2011, 04:21 PM,
The first time I had a crank but absolutely no fire condition I had gathered an audience of visiting family and friends to dutifully pay homage to our beautiful classic Wing. Baffled and red faced I stared at the machine, while all my years of "machine diagnostic logic" trees played through in my mind...at the same time I had to ignore all the "is the gas on?'s" and " did you check the oil?" (What!? the oil?...never mind...) & "I think you paid too much har har's" ... Back to bringing my considerable intellect to solving this baffling condition... let's see... (why do we look at the carburettors as if we have now developed XRay vision...?)

Our beautiful 6yrs young granddaughter breaks through my trememdous concentration on the problem at hand... " Papa...Papa...." "Yes?, I says, in a show of patient grandfatherly love, when there is a tremendous bike situation that needs solving... "Papa, turn this on..." she says as she moves the kill switch to the "Run" position....

rew rew RRRRUUMblle - the Wing starts and settles wonderfully into that familiar boxer cadence...

#5 08-13-2011, 05:01 AM,
Did that once when I had 'hippo-hands' on the bike. Dismantled quite a bit of the bike looking for a failed ignition system before removing the bar covers and seeing the kill switch was off. I was alone, though. No one around to laugh.
Bob
#6 08-13-2011, 11:48 AM,
When I put the registration plates on the Wing and took it for my first run I stopped for gas. Then I couldn't get it to start. Freaking out I bought a lemon. So I walked home about a mile, got my car, bought a set of plugs, installed and still no start and no spark. I then called the PO and he got his mechanic friend on the line and his first question to me, "Is the kill switch on run?" OOPPS! Damn, vrooommmm-vroommmm. Yep, silly would be an understatement on how I felt.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#7 08-13-2011, 11:58 AM,
My guess, most of us have been there, done that. It is funny though if we din't get too into repairs.
Bob
#8 08-13-2011, 04:52 PM,