Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear tire on front?
I have a question, but do not want to turn this into a debate. I have been putting a lot of miles on my wing this season, and my tires are on the way for a changing in the next month or so. I know people will mount a rear tire, in reverse direction, to use on the front. The claim is they get more mileage out of the tire. Has anyone done this on a non trike set up? Is there a loss of front handling? Any info, even opinions, are appreciated......

Mike.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#1 07-03-2011, 05:35 AM,
It is very common on trikes due to the need for a heavier duty tire on the front, however it will also work on a bike too. As for handling you might find the steering a little heavier at slow speeds due to the extra contact patch, but at higher speeds the handling would be the same except for the additional grip in the corners, and more traction in heavier braking, both good things.

Obviously you should not be running a C/T on the front rim, on the rear they can work very well indeed, but the rear M/T on the front would be a big benefit. In addition to the heavier load ability, and the extra contact patch, the rear tire also has at least twice the tread depth of a front tire too, thus it will last twice as long as a front tire.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#2 07-03-2011, 01:14 PM,
The one thing I have come across is on the Metzler website there is a FAQ section that talks about this. They stated that rear tires can be used on front mounted in reverse if a tire is bi-directional, indicated by the arrows on the sidewall. Does anyone know if this is true or is this just to Metzlers only or is this just a generic Manufacturers warning as not to be held responsible in any way?
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#3 07-03-2011, 04:46 PM,
I don't understand ... the rear is a 15 inch and the front a 16 ... how would you interchange them?
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#4 07-04-2011, 04:59 PM,
I am talking about placing a tire designed for the rear, and mounting it on the front wheel. The size wouldn't be changed....
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#5 07-05-2011, 03:55 AM,
Oh, duh, sorry.....now I get it *-Smile
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#6 07-05-2011, 07:43 PM,
I opted to go for it. I purchased a Shinko rear 777. Has good reviews. I didn't want to spend the big bucks yet on a higher end tire. I figure if I don't like it, not much money lost.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#7 07-16-2011, 08:39 AM,
Took the wheel to the shop and got the new tire mounted. The owner wasn't too keen on me running a rear on front but on the other hand I didn't have to convince him to do it for me either. Just got back from a 50 mile break in and it rides real nice. So far I am liking it. The bike dove into turns effortlessly, and rode smooth as silk. Took some time to get used to, but then again my dunlop 404 I was running had no treads left on it so it was adjusting to how it should handle. LOL

On a side note he was telling me to keep am eye on the electrical, cause the 1200' s are known for electrical gremlin. So when I told him that I hard wired the stator and dogbone replacement, he said it was a bad idea. Somehow we got onto talking about the forum. Went on the computer and started browsing it with him. Showing him the poorboy conversion and all. His toned seemed to change lol. Just for the record, this shop has been around for awhile, they are nice guys and have a good reputation.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#8 07-27-2011, 12:13 PM,
Yes it sure opens peoples eye's when they see the external
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#9 07-27-2011, 03:04 PM,
I turned the local shop here onto the alternator conversion a couple of years ago, and now that is all they do. Much cheaper and easier, and it works like it should, plus it is a one time deal instead of having to do it again a couple of years later.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#10 07-27-2011, 03:43 PM,
He was sceptical about it until I showed it to him.....he just said hmmm.....LOL
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#11 07-27-2011, 03:50 PM,
Update: I have put over 1,000 miles since I installed the tire a few weeks back. The ride seems to be very smooth and handling is just as good as any front tire I have had. The shinko tire I am using seems to be holding up well. I can't really comment much yet on wear but so far doesn't seem to show much of any, which is a good thing. Our last excursion was this past weekend down in Shenandoah National Park. Unfortunately for us, we rode up and down Skyline drive, and an additional 380 miles in torrential rain. Thankfully, the tire performed flawlessly. With an overloaded wing with gear and my 12 year old son on the back, my baby handled the twisties like it was a dry summer day. For now, I approve the Shinko 777 rear on the front of my wing.

Here is a pic of 4 of us as we were headed down Skyline Drive....

[Image: pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=424]
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#12 08-17-2011, 04:11 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  wheel bearings Front and rear Dave-85-LTD 1 1,919 06-14-2018, 01:26 PM
Last Post: glhonda
  Rear tire question for my GL1200I BADMOD97 14 8,827 11-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Last Post: BADMOD97
  front tire wobble Marty B 6 4,370 04-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Last Post: bs175dths
  front tire has worn flat on left side old gold 4 4,095 04-10-2014, 10:46 AM
  Rear wheel looks off center after tire change Flounder 4 3,685 12-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Flounder
  Rear tire removal, easier third or fourth time around Roleketu 13 10,033 08-15-2013, 06:54 AM
  Rear Tire Removal Cyberchip 11 5,998 05-24-2012, 10:35 AM
  Rear tire rubbing on swingarm? brobbed 7 3,633 05-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Last Post: ghostrider52005
  Needing front tire recommendations RobH 12 6,803 04-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Last Post: firstwing85
  Any tips on rear tire removal? PanMan75 8 4,147 04-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Last Post: PanMan75