Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Whats the Correct Idle?
I keep my idle on the high side (1200 rpm) because I know from experience what sustained low idle speed can do to an engine. Low engine speed causes low oil pump pressure and slow coolant circulation so the oil gets hotter and thinner therefore the oil pump needs to spin faster to make up for the loss in pressure otherwise the pistons don't get sprayed with cooling oil as they should which causes even more heat which thins the oil further leading to a severe loss in pressure to the camshafts and crankshaft resulting in premature wear to bearings and other critical and expensive components. Yes, idle speed is personal preference just like riding your bike into a brick wall is your personal preference, but, maybe it would be best for both you and your bike if you did not choose something that's going to hurt rather than help your bike and your wallet. The other bonus is that the higher idle speed keeps the alternator pumping out good voltage to your battery.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#16 01-20-2012, 11:48 AM,
WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING IDLING SO MUCH??? :lol:

It is your personal choice and low idle speed does produce low alternator charging and low oil and coolant circulation.
Also keep in mind, even a higher than normal idle will cause low oil circulation if the bike is kept on its side stand for extended periods.

It is all a good reason NOT to idle, but ride.

-Ride On 8)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#17 01-23-2012, 12:43 PM,