Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
can't find a miss
Hi everyone,

Bought a 1985 Interstate last year....about 56000 on it. The guy told me it had sat for awhile and owned in Colorado. He says the guy changed the needles because of the higher altitude and it had a miss. Well, it does...right around 2500 to 3500 and it is driving me crazy. It is also bogging down going uphill on a highway. We re-built the carbs. In the process, the main was plugged and others were restricted, There were golf tees in the vacuumn lines( to enrichen it I guess). I re-took the needle out yesterday to check the stamp on it. It says 1CM. Should it be 1CG?? Carbs are snychrenized. Fuel filter was not replaced. Fuel pump seeemed ok, but unsure. When I get up near 4000 it smooths out and then misses again when going below. I am about ready to sell it because I am frustrated.

Any advice please??

Thanks
#1 08-01-2011, 05:26 AM,
Please don’t sell! ( I am too far away to buy – LOL)
Really – you can figure this out.
Make sure the carbs are set for YOUR riding altitude (or attitude – HA (sorry)) mains, secondary’s, air/fuel screw and sync. the carbs to your riding habits (extended high speed, twisties or whatever). Replace the fuel filter just to take it out of the equation, replace the air filter even if it ‘looks good’, (keeping it as a spare if your wish). I suspect the air/fuel screws have been ‘adjusted’ for the PO riding and may never had it setup correctly.
When you mention a ‘miss’ what do you mean? Is it a hesitation, from 2500 through 3500 rpm, in any gear, on acceleration, any back firing? Have you read the plugs? Done a compression check? New spark plugs (old ones cleaned and gapped?) Does it need extended choke when cold starting?

Start with factory settings and go from there and get back to us.

(of course, you know what can be said, if it runs great above 4000 feet, ………… don’t rule out moving above 4000 feet and ride up there)

Honestly – all is repairable, really!

Good luck.
~O)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#2 08-01-2011, 01:31 PM,