Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
self cancelling won't turn off
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPEEDO-SPEEDOMETER-DRIVE-BOX-GEAR-GL1200-GOLDWING-B88-/270770921964?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0b3461ec">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPEEDO-S ... 3f0b3461ec</a><!-- m -->

but it is available thru hdparts for $63 + ship for the drive

speed sensor itself is discontinued (recently) so hope it isn't that,but some dealers may have one in stock,ask your local dealers to do a search nationwide
37700-MG9-871 use to be about $115

but first u have to figure which one is bad
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#16 06-28-2011, 09:54 PM,
If it is the gear in the speedsensor, which as Earl said are discontinued, try some of the big dealers. When Lornes went bad I found one at Pensacola Motorsports in Fla.. this was back in March I believe, and they had 2 in stock then.. about 15.$ and they shipped it out right away..
It was # 11 on the 'front wheel' fiche on Ron Ayers website.

J.
'85 GL1200 Aspencade
'07 Shadow Sabre 1100
South of Sarnia, SW Ontario, Can
#17 06-29-2011, 12:26 AM,
Firstwing85 question:

Hello friends, looks like I need some help here.
my self cancelling switch won't shut off, I got anoter bank angle sensor thinking that it would fix the problem but no luck,
now I have a spare bank angle sensor.

my question is "how do I find the problem?"
thanks in advance..

I want to understand the question…
Will the self cancelling system cancel the turn indicator and keep ‘clicking’ trying to cancel the turn indicator, or does it not cancel the turn indicator?
If it does not cancel the turn, it may be as folks are indicating.
If it cancels the turn indicator and you continue to feel a ‘click’ in the hand control, the self cancelling sensor may be bad and is continuing to send a signal to the small servo in the left-hand controls.
The way I understand the system works is, the servo in the hand control holds the turn indicator in either position until it receives a signal from the cancelling sensor pulling the pin of the servo in, allowing the slide button to self-center itself, thus cancelling the turn indicator. I read somewhere of a situation where the sensor continued to send the servo a signal, overheating the servo and caused a serious melt down of the left hand controls.
On my Interstate, I looked into disabling the system (I am used to cancelling the turn indicator myself (old-school rider)) by removing the servo, but the servo is an integrated part of the system. Instead I lubricated the slide, servo and associated parts with the idea of unplugging the cancelling sensor.
The sensor is still plugged in but the unnecessary ‘clicking’ in the left hand control has stopped.

(and I have yet to install my gremlin bell)

food for thought…..
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#18 06-29-2011, 12:10 PM,
thanks for the replies friends,
the switch does not shut off and the signals keep on flashing.
also when I push the button in it should shut off but doesn't,
I have to bush the switch into the nuetral position wich really isn't a big deal
but I am just the kind of guy that likes to have everything working.

I will figure it out and when I do I will post an update as to what I found.
thank you all for all the help you have already done for me as I learn so much about this bike of mine..
:YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:
Johan
#19 06-29-2011, 11:56 PM,
well folks,
I did some more research, the bank angle sensor that I replaced last year was the one for the fuel shut off when the bike goes over.
today I took off the fairing and could finally get to the bank angle sensor for the signal switch which is located in the bottom of the steering column.

now the question I have, is there some way to test the sensor to check if it is working properly?
Johan
#20 05-21-2012, 07:09 PM,
RETCOP Wrote:I have a similar problem with additions. I beleive it is my speedo cable, because speedo, trip meter and odometer do not work either. Is the replacing of the cable easy enough for a front yard hacker to do?
New here today--84 Wing
Thanks,
RETCOP

Since you have an Aspencade, not Interstate, there is no speedometer cable. Instead there is a sensor at the front wheel, left side on axle and there are wires running up to the dash to the circuit board. Most often the sensor fails and and needs to be replaced, but, you might get lucky and find a broken wire that can be fixed.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#21 05-21-2012, 08:23 PM,
Firstwing

Not sure if this is the same part you are referring to or not http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-84-Honda-Go...1339wt_952 But if it is, you might be able to save a couple dollars
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#22 05-21-2012, 10:05 PM,
thanks wild wing but that is the wrong one,
here is a link of what I am talking about, it is Part #2 on page #113 in this schematic.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://goldwingchrome.com/Manuals/GL1200/Honda%20Goldwing%20GL1200%201984%20to%201985%20Honda%20Parts%20Manual.pdf">http://goldwingchrome.com/Manuals/GL120 ... Manual.pdf</a><!-- m -->

how do I test this Item and where can I get a new one?
Johan
#23 05-22-2012, 01:51 AM,
Update, I found a new canceling censor on eBay, installed it and now the self cancelling signals shut off perfectly.
here is a picture and where it is mounted.

[attachment=0]

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG034 (600x800).jpg (Size: 312.61 KB / Downloads: 127)
Johan
#24 06-26-2012, 01:17 AM,
firstwing85 Wrote:I want to keep everything stock and working,
I have sprayed the switch with contact cleaner and replaced the bank angle sensor.
can anybody tell me my switch is shot?
there is on available on eBay but I would like to find out if I can test mine first to make sure.

Sparky you mentioned that if you push the button in on yours it cancels but mine won't even do that, I have to push it back into the neutral position..

thanks everybody for your replies, I love how everyone here is willing to help each other.. :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:

if you are trying to keep everything stock why would you put an aftermarket alternator on it? The ones I seen are loud and are not usefull at low rpms. I would swap the stator.
#25 06-26-2012, 07:47 PM,
1060dsl Wrote:if you are trying to keep everything stock why would you put an aftermarket alternator on it? The ones I seen are loud and are not usefull at low rpms. I would swap the stator.

Actually I did end up doing a stator change so I did end up keeping everything stock..
now that I finally have my self canceling signals working I have everything working on Vanna and I must say that it sure makes me smile..
:d :d :d
Johan
#26 06-27-2012, 12:29 AM,
Im with you there - the new stators are lasting a long long time (knock on wood)

next time you need something like a cancelling unit let me know I have half a dozen parts bikes and I give the guys on these forums a good discount.
#27 06-27-2012, 05:46 AM,
thank you for letting me know, I'll keep that in mind.. :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:
Johan
#28 06-27-2012, 09:45 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  self cancelling turn signals rickvo 4 976 09-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Last Post: rickvo
  self cancelling indicators (or not) buszsaw 5 1,501 07-25-2007, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Doug