Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Cold blooded
I've only had my Wing for a couple weeks, so I haven't put too many miles on it as yet. (rain)

I have noticed that it seems to be cold blooded. Getting ready to ride into work it seems to be sluggish and a very faint backfire is heard sometimes. It has been around 40-45 degrees here lately in the morning. I do let the bike warm up before I take off. I wait until I see two bars showing in the heat gauge. I'm thinking the thermostat must be open by then.

Do I need to let it warm up longer, or do I have a different problem? The bike has been sitting for about three years on and off. I've read here that you guys like Seafoam for cleaning carbs. I may try that this weekend also.

Thanks for any input, Paul
#1 05-17-2011, 06:16 PM,
Yes, Paul they can be a little coldblooded, even on our cold (to me) So. Cal. mornings. I usually start the bike with 2/3 choke and adjust it to idle at 1400k while I gear up. Hop on and ride about a mile to the freeway and reduce choke to 0 .
If I ride off without the choke, she will react just as you describe. Once it's warmed up and fuel is flowing the sluggish response and cough should go away.
I use Seafoam on both bikes, 1 tank maybe twice a year. Follow directions, I believe it's 1oz per gallon of fuel.

I have rebuilt carbs on both and they are still a little coldblooded.
#2 05-17-2011, 06:42 PM,
What wildwing said but I use MMO instead of Seafoam.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#3 05-17-2011, 07:09 PM,
Thanks guys. That makes me feel better.

Michcruiser / Paul
#4 05-18-2011, 03:39 AM,