Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
turn-running lights in saddlebags??
I bought the replacement lights for the saddle bags and noticed a difference in the harness plug, the replacements have 6 prongs and the originals have 5. Plug them in and the front dash lights up at the tail light warning. They do not function properly, they are advertized for 84-87 . Has anyone used these, they are dual filament to have running lights on all the time at both bulbs???
#1 05-13-2011, 01:53 AM,
If you're talking about the double pigtail conversion that's suppose to plug right into the OEM wiring, I had to modify it because it wasn't correct.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#2 05-13-2011, 03:50 AM,
if the connector is ok but the wiring is wrong i would think that it would be a simple matter to rewire them
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 05-13-2011, 08:38 AM,
I had to rewire the plug on the add-on harness to make it work. I also had to add a sixth wire & connector to my saddlebag plug (spliced into the brown wire from the brake lights) to provide power for the second filament of the running light.
#4 05-13-2011, 09:19 PM,
Hi Kwatts,
Do you have a pic, the connector on the new light harness seems ok other than having one extra pin in it?
#5 05-15-2011, 04:09 AM,
rigginray6,

When I first plugged in the new harness, the running lights did not work properly. After looking at the wiring diagrams and studying the new plug I saw that I had to make some changes. The attached pic shows the configuration I ended up with. I had to release all of the pins from the new plug and reinsert them in this new configuration so that the 2nd filament of the turn signal bulb and brake bulb would act as running lights. Your plug may be different though.
[attachment=0]

Attached Files
.jpg   Saddlebag Light Plug.jpg (Size: 25.54 KB / Downloads: 219)
#6 05-15-2011, 09:45 PM,
Thank you for the wire configuration, do I also need to splice a wire in at bike harness?? If so which wire do I splice? I am sorry for asking so many questions but I am not good at all with reading schematics.
#7 05-16-2011, 01:51 AM,
What I did was to use a two wire connector, that I found under the passengers section of the seat, as a donor for this project. It had the exact female connector pins that I needed to enable it to mate with the male pin on the new kit connector. (I did not look it up in the wiring diagram to find out what it was supposed to be used for but I imagine that it might have been for the passenger CB control ?). It was located on the left side near the main connector for the left saddlebag wires.

I cut the wires about 4" back from the donor connector and removed it. (You will need to seal off these cut wires, because one is ground and the other has battery power). Then I removed the wires with the connection pins attached from the connector. I put one of these wires with pin attached into each of the bikes left and right connectors, and stripped off about 1/2 inch of insulation from the donor wire.

Now I only had to cut open and peel back the wire harness insulator inside each saddlebag to expose enough of the brown wire so that I could splice into it. Since this area is pretty well protected from the environment, I used one of those blue plastic quick splices to join the donor wire to the brown wire from the bike harness. I pulled the harness insulator back over the wires, then wrapped the section I had cut with electrical tape.

It looks almost like a factory install and I can still disconnect the light assembly at will.
#8 05-16-2011, 09:05 AM,
you should be able to tap into and move wires around on the new setup to work correctly,remember if you tap into the bikes harness that you will have to be able to easily remove it later should you ever need to pull the bags off for tire,brake or shock changes
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#9 05-16-2011, 10:15 AM,
The connector under the seat isn't modified, it's the connector inside of the saddlebag that gets the extra wire added to it. That way it still allows you to disconnect the plug under the seat and remove the saddlebag, just like the original setup. Plus, if I want to sell or give this conversion kit to someone else at a later date, it will not look like it has been hacked into or modified.
#10 05-16-2011, 11:39 AM,
Ty for the info! As soon as this rain stops I will look for the extra harness plug under the seat.
#11 05-16-2011, 04:35 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  front running lights 84 Aspencade Cornhusker Joe 2 1,680 01-28-2020, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Cornhusker Joe
  Saddlebag Turn Signals as Marker Lights? William_86 3 1,484 01-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Last Post: Robbie
  Front running lights 2nd Wing 3 1,868 10-14-2007, 02:08 AM
Last Post: 2nd Wing