Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
1200 starter
Its good to read that I don't have to remove the engine to pull the starter.. I think mine might be bad. Heres what I got.. I pulled the engine to put a new stator in. I ran the bike before I tore it apart it ran. After putting it back in the engine cranked real slow like a dead battery. After a different battery all I get is click from the solenoid. I check the fuse, good. Some one said the ground was bad. Added more grounds, nothing yet. I jumped the the starter by passing everything, nothing. When I test the starter wire I get 11.4 volts. I also thought the starter might not turn the engine because I put something back wrong. But it spun at first just real slow.... Anyone have any ideas or should I pull the starter and test it.. Now that I know you dont have to pull the engine out..
#1 05-11-2011, 05:34 PM,
You stated you check the fuse. Is that the spade fuse which replaced the factory dog bone, or is that the dog bone. Most fuses either work or don’t work, but the dog bone can be intermittent and deceptive when ‘looked at’. If you have replaced the dog bone with the 30A spade, good. If not, plan on replacing it.

Try removing all the spark plugs (gets rid of compression), with the key in the ‘on’ position, and the engine run switch ‘off’ (no spark), try the starter button again and see how fast the starter spins. This may direct you to pull the starter and service it per this forum (or manual).
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#2 05-19-2011, 10:03 AM,
I have the dog bone one in there. And I have not tried removing the spark plugs. I don't believe it going to do anything. The only thing the bike does is click. It don't try to turn over at all now. I have not had time to do anything. Thanks for the info
#3 05-20-2011, 08:29 PM,
When you say you Jumped the starter did you use a known good battery? A low battery will give you the same symptoms as a dead starter and just "Click."

Pulling the starter isn't hard you have to remove the exhaust header by it and that will be the hardest part. You could also drop the whole exhaust too.

But really make sure the battery is fully charged and maybe even load tested because it will give the symptoms you are saying.
#4 05-21-2011, 04:02 AM,
I feel for you my new starter failed after only 800 miles im glad the ebay seller i got it from is going to make good on it and replace it for me. if you are sure the battery is good and have double checked the wiring i would say pull the starter and have it tested not that hard of a job and you will be sure. remove the header on that side the shifter and the exhaust stud at the rear of the engine on that side then there is enough room to wiggle it out. best of luck
[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#5 05-21-2011, 07:01 AM,
Just remember a 1984 starter is unique and does not interchange with 1985 and newer if you have to replace it for some reason.
Remember, No matter where you go...There you are!

Here is where I have ridden my 1984 GL1200I
I completed the lower 48 states in August 2009, riding the whole way with my Dad

[Image: VisitedStatesMap-1.jpg]
#6 05-23-2011, 05:30 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1200 starter question 4 2,357 10-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Last Post: admin
  Rebuilding 1200 starter limo$mitch 3 2,630 06-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Last Post: limo$mitch