Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Changing brakelines without removing fairing?
How the H-E-double hockey sticks does one get at the unified brake line for the front right brake. The line for the left is out, I can't figure out how to get at the right side so I can complete the job. Do I have to remove the control unit, coil packs and what ever else or is there an easier way? People have posted that they have changed lines without removing the fairing, just wondering how. Any help would greatly appreciated.
purchased fall of 83 .......$9,000.00
first ride spring of 84......$1,000,000.00
27 years later................priceless
#1 04-13-2011, 01:32 PM,
I removed the fairing, found it easier
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 04-13-2011, 02:24 PM,
I tried that route but could not undo the electrical connections on the left side. Could only get 1 of 3 disconnected so I went the other route.
#3 04-13-2011, 08:29 PM,
Orignalowner Wrote:I tried that route but could not undo the electrical connections on the left side. Could only get 1 of 3 disconnected so I went the other route.

If your having problems with those connectors, sounds like they may be corroding, I would have a close look at them before other problems crop up.

They should pry out, yes it is an awkward place to get at.

#4 04-14-2011, 06:45 AM,
Easy for you to say. What is your trick tricky? :lol: :lol: sorry. Every time I try to pry the plugs apart it feels like I'm going to break the plugs and with the harness right tight against the plugs it makes it harder to pry back.
#5 04-14-2011, 09:04 PM,
Not sure, been a while but I think there is a clip holding the harness, if it is lifted you can I think move the harness enough to get the plug out.
Like I said it was last year when I did it on another bike so I could be wrong about the clip.

It went in, it must come out Smile

#6 04-15-2011, 06:25 AM,
Ok I'm fit to be tied, I have 2 out of 3 plugs disconnected. The black and white vertical ones are off, the large white bottom one is driving me nuts, ever thing I do there just doesn't seem to be enough room. I'm beginning to regret starting this project. Heater in the garage just stopped working and we are supposed to get 15-20 cm of the white stuff. What a day, what is next? Time to walk away and cool down. Tricky is the only one that changed brake lines? If anyone else has changed lines(with or without removing the fairing)........ care to share some advice even if it is just to tell me where to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S Sorry for the rant.
#7 04-16-2011, 12:27 PM,
you should be able to loosen the bracket from the fairing which should give you a little more room to accomplish getting the coupler apart
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#8 04-16-2011, 07:06 PM,
When I changed out my brake lines (85 Aspy) to stainless set I removed the fairings - as detailed in the Haynes & Clymer manuals. Extra hands made the fairing removal much easier. I cannot remember if the plug in question has a clip - I remember it has a generous coating of grit and grime and I remember carefully prying it apart with two looong screwdrivers, with light on it to see to make sure it moved etc. It would be ugliness to damage it.. once off I cleaned the connectors with contact cleaner (like CRC Electro-Motive) and applied dielectric grease to them prior to reassembly.

I changed to stainless lines last spring - #A1 best mod/repair/upgrade.

#9 04-18-2011, 05:18 AM,
wing&aprayer Wrote:When I changed out my brake lines (85 Aspy) to stainless set I removed the fairings - as detailed in the Haynes & Clymer manuals. Extra hands made the fairing removal much easier. I cannot remember if the plug in question has a clip - I remember it has a generous coating of grit and grime and I remember carefully prying it apart with two looong screwdrivers, with light on it to see to make sure it moved etc. It would be ugliness to damage it.. once off I cleaned the connectors with contact cleaner (like CRC Electro-Motive) and applied dielectric grease to them prior to reassembly.

Where did you get your lines from?

#10 04-18-2011, 06:50 PM,
wing&aprayer Wrote:I remember carefully prying it apart with two looong screwdrivers, with light on it to see to make sure it moved etc. It would be ugliness to damage it.. once off I cleaned the connectors with contact cleaner (like CRC Electro-Motive) and applied dielectric grease to them prior to reassembly.

two loooong screw drivers wing&prayer thank you. I'll give it try the next time I get chance, tomorrow I hope.
#11 04-18-2011, 09:06 PM,
tricky Wrote:
wing&aprayer Wrote:When I changed out my brake lines (85 Aspy) to stainless set I removed the fairings - as detailed in the Haynes & Clymer manuals. Extra hands made the fairing removal much easier. I cannot remember if the plug in question has a clip - I remember it has a generous coating of grit and grime and I remember carefully prying it apart with two looong screwdrivers, with light on it to see to make sure it moved etc. It would be ugliness to damage it.. once off I cleaned the connectors with contact cleaner (like CRC Electro-Motive) and applied dielectric grease to them prior to reassembly.

Where did you get your lines from?

Venco Wings

#12 04-19-2011, 05:19 AM,
Success last connection came apart with two looong screwdrivers thank you wing&aprayer. Tricky you were right, the connecters did have a little corrosion, so a little cleaning and dielectric grease will be in order. Removing the fairing was the easy part, did it myself, an extra set of hands would have it even more easy but I couldn't wait. Those electrical connecters drove me nuts!!!!!!!!!! Once again thanks
#13 04-20-2011, 09:26 PM,
two screws holds the bracket to the fairing which holds the connectors,you can easily loosen that bracket to facilitate getting the connectors back together once u clean them, then reattach the bracket to the fairing
once you clean the connectors refrain from using di-electric grease on the contacts themselves,or you'll eventually have more problems then you started with
traced problems with my travel computer conncetions back to using die-electric grease on the contacts
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#14 04-21-2011, 12:30 AM,