Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Radio replacement
Today my tape deck died. I have the factory Panasonic. The radio functions perfectly but the cassette does not seem to work. I use a tape adapter to listen to music off my phone. I also get that squeal when I hit a bump from a loose connection. My question is, how hard is it to replace the unit for an aftermarket unit. I have done it in cars but know this is completely different. I have a working intercom and cb unit hooked to it, but do not use it so the loss of those are not an issue. How much modification is needed? Another option j was thinking was wiring a mini amp, hook the speakers to that, and run my music through that from my phone which has an fm radio if I wanted to listen to that. Thoughts?? Suggestions? Past experiences? Keeping it stock is not high on my list.....
Hope all this made sense as my son just hijacked my computer and had to post from my phone....LOL
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#1 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM,
Makes perfect sense.

As far as the squeel.... on bumps, pull the radio look at the connections, take a small screwdriver and open them up a little, they could be a little loose with all the bouncing all the time.

As far as the tape unit is concerned, it would be a lot cheaper and easier to install an audiovox FM modulator, and plug your phone into that... $40+ from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-FM100A-Modulator-Isolation-Transformer/dp/B0001KO7UI">http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-FM100A-M ... B0001KO7UI</a><!-- m -->

There is a scoche model a little cheaper but I know the audiovox works. just needs a cable adapter 1/8 mini to rca phono about $5
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 04-06-2011, 04:52 PM,
I was thinking of parting out the whole system, replacing the speakers with marine grade and installing something like this <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/MINI-AMP-MOTORCYCLE-ATV-SNOWMOBILE-Amplifier-/300532196586?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item45f91d64ea">http://cgi.ebay.com/MINI-AMP-MOTORCYCLE ... 45f91d64ea</a><!-- m -->
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#3 04-06-2011, 05:19 PM,
The heads in the Tape Deck often get out of alignment its a common problem. A tech can align
them again and tweek the system at the same time. An FM modulator transmitting on one of the FM radio frequencies is another way around it and quite commonly used with Ipods and MP3 players and satellite radio rcvr's.
#4 04-06-2011, 09:46 PM,
I am thinking that the cost for a FM modulator would not save me enough money to buy and use. I do not use the CB, intercom, and all the other features that come with the system. I do know others on the forum are looking for replacements and I am willing to part with the system for a reasonable price. With the way Honda wired the whole system, does it have any effect on the rest of the electrical if completely removed? With the auto volume adjust with speed, if removed does that have any effect on the sensors it is hooked to?
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#5 04-07-2011, 03:43 AM,
the avc unit is hooked to your speedometer and if unhooked will not make a difference
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#6 04-07-2011, 08:08 AM,
Thank you Neoracer. So Ultimately removing the entire system, CB and radio, it should be a simple process....well in theory atleast.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#7 04-07-2011, 08:58 AM,
i guess but personally sierra will normally fix the radio and if its a minor cassette problem its approx $100

you have to rewire speakers, find a cb blankout,adapt radio to the opening etc,but if that's your choice go for it others have,can honestly say that some of the new radios do have some nice features

what i really like about the stock radio is the auto volume feature since i tend to use speakers more than headsets accept when i use the cb which is seldom
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#8 04-07-2011, 09:09 AM,
Fabricating anything to fill the gaps is easy. The ABS that is used for dashes is readily available. Once cut can be easily bent with a heat gun. I would definitely miss the auto volume feature, but I can live without it. I think this will wait to be a winter project, as I will be taking her apart to paint anyways.....for now I will live with just the radio and my GPS is loud enough to hear an alert for a turn.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#9 04-07-2011, 09:39 AM,
not hard to take the cover off,oughta see what cookin' in there
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#10 04-07-2011, 09:42 AM,
[quote="PanMan75"]I am thinking that the cost for a FM modulator would not save me enough money to buy and use.

Fm modulators are very cheap to buy, I have a couple of them kicking around,price is not an issue.They can work with so many devices today that have a mini jack output for headphones and earbuds. You can even connect one to your computer earphone output jack and broadcast
streaming audio to any FM radio in the house,shop or garage.
#11 04-07-2011, 11:25 AM,
I used to use FM transmitters for mp3 players when they first came out because alot of radios and car stereo didn't have an aux input. I never was a fan of them. The modulators that connect inline are much better, but I am more of taking this as an opportunity to pull the system out. Was just asking more of what i was in for as far as modifying because I have yet to tear into the front cowl. This will most likely be a winter project when its all disassemble yet again, LOL

I was just all excited. I had wired up the USB power socket that Neo had linked to on eBay. Mounted my new phone cradle for the handlebars. Went for a ride to test out the new set up and nothing....lol
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#12 04-07-2011, 11:58 AM,
I pulled the head unit out to see if I could fix the squeal I would get on bumps. I noticed that there was a bit of play with the blue harness connection in the back. I tried to tighten it up, but I cold not. The mounting holes in the blue harness that attaches to the unit seem to have worn a bit, and the metal spacers that are in there do not fit snug securing the harness. I can tighten the screws all the way but there is still play. I put the radio back into the bike. the radio still functions, but now I get a squeal each time I press the handle bar controls to switch radio stations as well as hitting bumps. I think I am going to have to ahead and think of a replacement plan.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#13 04-11-2011, 05:21 AM,
I'd like to get back to what appeared to be part of the original question, i.e. has anyone done an aftermarket radio swap? I'm thinking of getting rid of my stock unit in favor of a more modern rig, but the harness connection (plug) in the back of the radio baffles me. How hard would it be to fabricate an adapter harness to match a new radio to the existing plug in the fairing?
Jess
#14 04-12-2011, 12:49 PM,
the question now is why would you need the make an adapter since a new radio contains an amplifier which would then need to be connected to the speakers,thing is you lose your intercom and headset functions too

the stock radio as such is really just a "receiver or tuner" that is also connected to a power stock power amp
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#15 04-12-2011, 01:59 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another radio replacement thread dl_sledding 1 444 04-20-2015, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Poorboy
  Replacement radio 11 1,214 07-06-2010, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Guest