Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flat Tire
Hello All,

I did a "flat tire" search and didn't come up with anything to match my topic.

Hope you had a good winter. I've already gotten some nice rides down here in South Jersey. On one of these rides I got a roofing nail in my new rear Conti Tour. By new I mean between 2 & 3K. I put "Ride-on" tire sealant product in and tested it out for 80 miles. I let it sit and read the tire pressure later at underground garage temp. Tire pressure was the same.

Question: Do I need to change the tire out?

Let me have it; what is your opinion & why do you think this way?

Keep in mind, I believe I must have some Missouri blood in me. If I ask a tire guy I believe he's going to be inclined to tell me to change it. Not that there's anything wrong with that it's just that I want to know why. Things have changed in tire tech since I was a kid. While I'm not asking you to tell me not to change it I would like you experienced bikers to open your mind and look at the issue in a new light, then opine. If your not familiar with the "Ride-on" product I would like you to read about it before you answer. If you think I'm too fussy raise your hand.....

A hole the diameter of a roofing nail in a fairly new tire; This is the situation I'm asking an opinion for.

Note: Even I would not consider plugging or inside patching it an option.

Regards,
Harry %%-
#1 04-04-2011, 05:12 PM,
I would only feel semi-safe using tire-flat-fix if I had three other tires holding up the vehicle. However on two wheels going into a corner, in the back of my mind would be the thought of it giving out. I would use it in an emergency use if out on a ride and had to get home.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#2 04-04-2011, 05:57 PM,
I would only consider that repair as a temp fix, tires are to important to take any chances.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#3 04-05-2011, 03:47 AM,
That 'ride on' is a good product, unlike 'fix-a-flat'.

So long as the nail did not damage the inner core of the tire (the metal threads) then it will be just fine.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#4 04-05-2011, 10:03 AM,
Harry, if your roads in South Jersey are anything like the ones up here in North Jersey, I would replace the tire. With all the bumps and pot holes lately I would not want to rely on a "patch" of any kind.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#5 04-05-2011, 10:15 AM,
My advice to you is to get a new tire. That way if anything happens to that tire my advice would be solid.

If it were mounted on my bike, I'd change it and put a new one on it.....after I wore it out. I would keep a close eye on it and the pressure. If I had to add air once a week I'd replace it. Other than that, I would ride it like I stole it. But that is me...you read my suggestion to you.

GaryB

...and if you decide to throw it away, I'm in need of a rear tire. 8^)

Yes, I am a reformed rednek...but the wagon sides are steep and slippery.
#6 04-05-2011, 10:45 AM,
Thanks Guys,

The feedback is just what I was looking for. I will make my decision pretty soon. So far I've got about 200mi on it. Pressure is holding (judged against the front tire). Before I go away on my big trip I'll decide.

Harry %%-
#7 04-13-2011, 04:34 PM,
This is what I carry on the bike now.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp">http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp</a><!-- m -->

Fortunately havnt had need to use it yet.

I would trust riding with these on a nearly new tire.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#8 04-14-2011, 06:54 AM,
I'm a fellow NJ rider. I agree the roads here are too poor to rely on Ride-on. I don't even think I'd trust a plug in a motorcycle tire. If budget is an issue Shinko's have held me over until I could afford a better tire...

Ride Safe!
#9 04-14-2011, 08:19 AM,
Knox.....my wife got her "M" and weather is getting nice. WE should be out your way soon. We can negotiate the craters in roads together soon!!! lol
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#10 04-14-2011, 08:31 AM,
Harryslim, If it were my tire I would ride it til it was worn out. It is a rear tire. I probably would not do so for a front tire.
Bob
#11 04-14-2011, 07:28 PM,
I would never recommend that you ride on it... but, like bob, I would wear it out. I understand why others are not willing to do so and they have very good reasons. However, in my 70 years I've never had a plugged tire fail at the plug. (and I've had a lot plugged)

Disclaimer: This is my opinion and my opinion only. Please do not take it as a recommendation.
#12 04-14-2011, 08:07 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  front tire has worn flat on left side old gold 4 4,093 04-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Last Post: bs175dths
  Flat Tire woes Flashfire65 11 7,291 05-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Last Post: KnoxSwift
  Has anyone experience a flat tire while riding your Wing? wingandaprayer 20 8,633 09-22-2011, 06:28 AM
Last Post: wingandaprayer
  Flat Tire - Finally fixed Goldwings 4 Ever 12 5,898 01-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Last Post: 85GL1200I