Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
clunk in driveline
have a 86 wing interstate, when i let out the clutch from stop in first gear i get a clunk in drive train. only happens when starting off. thought it might be u joint but that seems fine. what else could cause this. any help appreciated.
#1 03-29-2011, 04:10 AM,
If the clunk is when you first put the bike into gear when cold then that is normal, it is caused by the clutch plates sticking after pressing all of the oil out from between the plates while parked unused for a while.

If it is every time the clutch is released to accelerate, and every time the throttle is reduced for engine braking, then it would be worn splines (lack of moly 60), or as in my case a worn/about to break U joint, (or possibly an overstretched final drive chain).
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#2 03-29-2011, 06:59 AM,
clearances in your final drive and possibly wear in the driven flange can also cause this,put your bike on the centerstand and check in gear the distance that the tire moves when you move it back and forth,cant exactly recall but i think that about 1-2" is about normal,know it was posted before
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 03-29-2011, 07:18 AM,
In mho the clunk is caused by the output shaft design which has mated ramps built into it to lessen the chance of transmission/drive line damage when we miss gears or shift hard. My '84 clunks too. It may be that the spring holding the ramps together has weakened over time. I have considered adding a washer, possibly 1/8" thick to the shaft. This is quite a job just to eliminate a clunk that doesn't seem to be causing any problem. I have no other possible cause to offer as my drive line is in very good condition with no discernable wear. If any of you find a diffinitive cause, please share.
Bob
#4 03-30-2011, 07:37 AM,
the clunk happens only when i let the clutch out from stop. bike hasn't always done this just recently
#5 04-03-2011, 05:05 PM,
Sounds like you will need to pull the rear end and inspect the splines.

Possibly the U joint behind the swing arm if the splines look good and the differential still has too much play when you turn it over.

The U joint is exactly what I just had to replace last week, cost me a whopping $17.00 off of Ebay. (The exhaust gaskets cost me more though)
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#6 04-03-2011, 05:46 PM,
Has anyone found a definite cause of the clunk? I have an opinion but we all seem to have one. I do know it is not worn splines or lack of moly 60. I had my drive shaft out last fall and the u-joint splines were tight and show no wear. Someone mentioned final drive chain wear. If one would just go ahead and break we could find out the cause but it seems that this condition does not end in a breakdown. Maybe we should just ignore the noise.
Bob
#7 04-23-2011, 06:47 AM,
robdavspa Wrote:In mho the clunk is caused by the output shaft design which has mated ramps built into it to lessen the chance of transmission/drive line damage when we miss gears or shift hard. My '84 clunks too. It may be that the spring holding the ramps together has weakened over time. I have considered adding a washer, possibly 1/8" thick to the shaft. This is quite a job just to eliminate a clunk that doesn't seem to be causing any problem. I have no other possible cause to offer as my drive line is in very good condition with no discernable wear. If any of you find a diffinitive cause, please share.
Bob

I think Bob is right on the money.
It is like having a bowling ball in your saddle bag.
It is worse towing a trailer.
Have checked all the drive line.
Everything OK
Douce
#8 04-23-2011, 01:41 PM,
I had the same thing! But I must ask have you had this bike for a while or did you just pick it up? Because for me I just bought my bike and I noticed that. I got the same answers which all could be. BUT if you just got it change the oil and make sure you're not putting oil in there that has the energy stuff in it. I change my oil and stuck with the standard motorcycle oil and my bike is good to go! It could be other stuff too but an oil change is a lot cheaper and faster than getting into some other stuff so start there to at least rule it out. Just my .02
#9 04-23-2011, 10:23 PM,
Biker_guy, I have plain old Castrol GTX 10W 40 in my bike. I have a new aplication of Moly 60 on the drive splines. I would really like for someone to come up with a definitive cause of the 'clunk'.
Bob
#10 04-24-2011, 08:06 AM,
I'd read the fine print on that Castrol. It does not have to be synthetic to have the energy stuff in. I switched to the mobil motorcycle oil because it said for wet clutch right on the bottle. Just so I know for a fact if my bike is still clunking after the oil change that was ruled out. But the oil in my bike was the "definitive cause of the 'clunk'". As is all of the other reasons listed. Unless you have an x-ray machine you can get a hold of you're gonna have to take a guess and go for it. Oil is the cheapest. If that's ruled out what's the next cheapest? Maybe bleeding the clutch? or replacing the clutch. Well bleeding it maybe actually be cheaper than the oil change cause you just need some hose and dot 4 brake fluid. Check the splines anyway because they may not have been greased by the PO. So if it's not the splines and you don't grease then and the need it...it will be the splines on top of what ever else the real problem is. Put your bike up on the center stand and put it in 1st gear. Try and turn the tire by hand. How much play does it have? Until all of that is eliminated definitive cause of the 'clunk' is unknown.
#11 04-24-2011, 05:04 PM,
Even if the "plain old Castrol GTX 10w-40" isn't causing the clunk, it probably will cause some issues. The additives in regular oil will cause the clutch to slip. Do yourself a favor, change the oil with motorcycle oil that specifically listed for wet clutches or shared transmissions-engine oil.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#12 04-24-2011, 08:33 PM,
That may be good advice,Rolekutu, but I did run a new '82 Interstate 58,000 miles on Castrol and had no problems with the clutch, not did I have a clunk. There must be some difference in the 1200 and 1100 engine/trannys that would explain this annoying noise. Are any of you familiar with the 1100 internals? I had no problem with the 1100 so I never went into it. Oil change is about due so I may look for a more suitable oil. Thanks.
Bob
#13 04-25-2011, 12:23 PM,
You may want to make sure your wheel bearings are set tight in your wheel, Honda had a problem with the outer race loosening up in the wheel.
#14 04-25-2011, 07:58 PM,
leftlane Wrote:have a 86 wing interstate, when i let out the clutch from stop in first gear i get a clunk in drive train. only happens when starting off. thought it might be u joint but that seems fine. what else could cause this. any help appreciated.

There are some cause of it. Maybe there are problems in the engine.
#15 04-25-2011, 08:23 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Driveline Vibration bluewing 3 911 07-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Last Post: bluewing