Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New tires installed now bike does not roll easily
First off my bike is a 1984 Interstate. My nephew did this job for me as he used to work at the local Honda shop. He did odd jobs for them and said he did several "tire jobs". He rode the bike after the install and said all was fine. I started to go for a ride and noticed on backing the bike our of my garage it was much harder to move out. I started down the road and heard a popping or clicking noice so I turned around after going only a 1/4 of a mile. I placed the bike on the center stand and jacked up the front a little to spin the front tire and it spun freely and heard no popping or clicking (that is the only way I know to describe the sound). Then I checked the back tire and it seemed to be fairly hard to turn (I realize that it would not spin freely because of the load of the rear gear set and shaft, but thought it should not be that hard to turn). I started the bike up and put it in gear and let the rear tire rotate and noticed the sound which was not loud but it was noticeable.

I know quite a bit about cars (raced dirt track for twenty + years) but nothing about bikes. Would someone please explain to me what I need to do about this or where to start. Any help would certainly be appreciated. I really want to ride this weekend!!

Thanks Guys and Gals!

PS: Could he have tightened the rear axle nut too tight?
#1 03-25-2011, 12:06 PM,
PS..... No Smile

Remove the rear caliper and try turning then, see if it makes any difference
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 03-25-2011, 01:29 PM,
Note that one of the caliper mounting bolts on the rear caliper is slightly shorter than the otherwise identical bolt on the front caliper. If switched it will cause the bolt end to scrape against the rotor. (I found this out the hard way).

Other wise it would seem something is not assembled correctly. The two spacers mount on the left side of the wheel one inside the swingarm and one outside with the collars against the swingarm itself. The splines all need greasing with Moly 60 paste. DO NOT ACCEPT ANY SUBSTITUTE, failure to lube them every time the rear wheel comes off will cause your splines to wear out and fail.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#3 03-25-2011, 01:49 PM,
The first time I changed my back tire myself, when I put it back together I had the same thing, Hard to turn, took it all apart, put it back this time it turned as it should. Not sure what I had wrong the first time .
wpd210

[Image: th_VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#4 03-25-2011, 07:20 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update: Michelin Commander 2 premium tour bike tires report wingandaprayer 14 6,600 11-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Last Post: wingandaprayer
  Tires for my bike 18 6,638 12-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Last Post: goldwingblue44