Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Rubber Covers for Spark Plugs. Where can I get some
Hi all, I have a 1985 GL1200 which was once an Aspencade but now has all the fairings etc removed [like a 1200 standard]. There should be a pair of rubber covers which stop the rain getting into the spark plug holes, mine are missing. Can anyone point me to where I can buy some. Here in the UK there seems to be none, and boy do we need them as it seems to rain all the time here in UK.
At present I have to 'soak up' all the water in the holes with paper tissue when it rains, it does the job but is a pain. If I ride with the water still in there it pops and farts and runs on 2 or 3 cylinders till the water evaporates from the engine heat.
Cheers, Daveski UK
#1 02-23-2011, 04:42 AM,
i would think that someone over there should have some in a salvage yard,but if you just cannot find any i know i have some since i have replaced wires with Taylor race wires,course we ride in rain here at times but nothing like you guys do

also have 8+ of those ngk caps

i checked and they are discontinued
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 02-23-2011, 07:42 AM,
I just looked on eBay, there's a complete set of wires, supposed to be good boots, I replaced my wires using a set of for a 1985 Prelude Si. Took two kits to have 4 wires long enough, but the spark plug boots are exactly the same shape as those for the bike, cheaper than mother Honda to replace the caps themselves.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPARK-PLUG-WIRES-COIL-GOOD-BOOTS-1985-GL1200-GOLDWING-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3364b787a7QQitemZ220733081511QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPARK-PL ... ccessories</a><!-- m -->
#3 02-23-2011, 09:26 AM,
Saw some on Ebay yesterday.
#4 02-23-2011, 10:30 AM,
Also to help keep the water that does get into the spark plug area, clean out the drain holes. There's a drain hole below each spark plug that exits next to each exhaust pipe header. I started the cleaning with some nylon cord from my weed whacker, then used a stiffer metal wire.

[attachment=0]

Attached Files
.jpg   GL1200 head drain holes.jpg (Size: 345.56 KB / Downloads: 349)
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#5 02-23-2011, 12:20 PM,
Roleketu Wrote:Also to help keep the water that does get into the spark plug area, clean out the drain holes. There's a drain hole below each spark plug that exits next to each exhaust pipe header. I started the cleaning with some nylon cord from my weed whacker, then used a stiffer metal wire.

[attachment=0]
Thanks, that could be the answer. Only the front 2 plug holes get filled with water. I thought maybe there were drain holes on only the rear holes. It looks like then that the back 2 have drain holes as well and they are just blocked with crud. I will have a go with the 'strimmer wire' as we call it over here. Your pics confirm drain holes for all 4 holes. Cheers,you may have solved my problem. If it works I wont need the rubber covers. Daveski UK
#6 02-24-2011, 05:20 PM,
daveski Wrote:
Roleketu Wrote:Also to help keep the water that does get into the spark plug area, clean out the drain holes. There's a drain hole below each spark plug that exits next to each exhaust pipe header. I started the cleaning with some nylon cord from my weed whacker, then used a stiffer metal wire.

[attachment=0]
Thanks, that could be the answer. Only the front 2 plug holes get filled with water. I thought maybe there were drain holes on only the rear holes. It looks like then that the back 2 have drain holes as well and they are just blocked with crud. I will have a go with the 'strimmer wire' as we call it over here. Your pics confirm drain holes for all 4 holes. Cheers,you may have solved my problem. If it works I wont need the rubber covers. Daveski UK
Yep, that did the trick, I used a thin screwdriver to clean one out, the other was a real pain, there seemed to be a bit of grit or something blocking the hole halfway down, it was like pusshing it down the hole which jammed it tighter. I tried from the bottom of the hole which required removing the exhaust flange as the hole is behind it and you cannot get to the hole otherwise. That did not work either. So I tried a long thin allen key [hex key] and tapped it with a small hammer, and bingo - the hole cleared. Thanks for the info guys,
Daveski UK
#7 02-27-2011, 02:29 PM,
Wheeeee, glad you got it fixed. And you didn't have to buy anything! I learned about the drain holes after washing down the bike with a hose.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#8 02-28-2011, 05:36 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  getting to spark plugs crispy1 3 641 08-23-2016, 12:47 PM
Last Post: jwebfournow
  SPARK PLUGS • • • AGAIN Granpah 26 1,840 08-10-2012, 05:58 AM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  spark plugs 7 1,486 05-15-2008, 07:26 AM
Last Post: