Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Head gaket replacment
Getting ready too do head gaskets on my 1200. Are the gasket kits on Ebay ok to use? Also going to do belts at the same time wheres the best place to purchase them? Thanks for any input.
#1 02-13-2011, 03:25 PM,
I used mother Honda gaskets when I did mine. Pricey, but that is such an integral part of the motor that I considered it worth the expense. They are discounted through servicehonda.com and possibly other vendors that sell OEM Honda parts.

There are many aftermarket kits out there for the gaskets, if you post specifically what you are looking at it would help ... there may be members on here who have used those, but they would have to know what you are looking at.

As far as the belts, Gates, Napa etc make great replacements at a lower cost than the Honda belts. Search timing belts, or Gates and Napa and you should come up with part numbers.
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#2 02-13-2011, 04:01 PM,
I found a forum thru google and some guys on there said they used gaskets from a guy on ebay and they haven't had any problems. As far as the belts i didn't know napa could get them I'll try that thanks. :d
#3 02-13-2011, 04:53 PM,
I used Gates belts T070 from O'Rileys for my 85 Aspy
[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#4 02-13-2011, 08:21 PM,
Not sure which thread I posted on about changing head gaskets, after reading the hilarious accounts of using the turnbuckle approach and some guy tied his to the porch post and such........anyway, it wasn't as big a deal as I'd thought. Sure they were firmly stuck on there, but having it on a lift gave me a view of a spot on the bottom mating edge where I could land a brass punch and tap it loose with a hammer. Honda dealer cited 7 hrs and 550 dollars to do the job if all goes well, but my bike has add-ons and goodies I wouldn't want them messing up, what with the radiator moved forward and a front mounted fan and the GM alternator, then there's the funky (but not noticable) bracketing to hold the fairing lowers together. Couldn't take the chance that 550 could turn into, "oops" something broke and it's gonna cost ya. Anyway, thanks for all the tips and tricks, bike's back to running almost like it should. (Doggoned exhaust leaks...)
Jess
#5 04-21-2011, 04:01 PM,
I got mu head gasket kit from sales@vencowings. Very good people to buy from. Will send you the part and let you pay after you get them. I haven't had a problem with them or the parts they sell. In Vermont, I believe. Some of the guys and gals on this forum know them.
Bob
#6 04-21-2011, 04:17 PM,
I got my belts from RockAuto.com I remember them cosing me around $12 for the pair with 2 day shipping.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#7 04-22-2011, 03:22 AM,