Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Front forks
In this off season my wife and I are overhauling our bikes. My main project for mine this winter is replacing the seals and springs on my wing. I have never done the forks before, so I am trying to "over-prepare" myself for this. I have tricky's instructions as well as my chlymer manual so I should be covered. My mechanical skill I think is adequate enough to do the job. I just want to be sure I have all the right parts. I plan on doing the seals and springs and feel I may as well replace the bush slides. My question is, how many do I need to order? Is it 2 bush "B" and 2 bush guides? 4 bush "B"? I will have the seals/wipers/circlips but not sure on bush. And one last question before I order....I was going to stick with the progressive springs, but has anyone tried the race tech? I have read the thread on them from a while back but no one else has commented. Should I stick with the progressives being tried and true? Any other advice is always appreciated......

Mike.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#1 01-19-2011, 05:08 AM,
The original setup used 4 bushings but that I do believe was altered to 2 bushings, 1 per side. They are they same length as the 2 each side.

16 BUSH, GUIDE
51414-KCR-003 (replaces 51414-MB4-003) 002

This link may take you to the right microfiche..... with a little luck :lol: :lol:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sturgessonline.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=146258&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1985&fveh=3443">http://www.sturgessonline.com/fiche_sec ... &fveh=3443</a><!-- m -->
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 01-19-2011, 07:30 AM,
Thanks for the quick response. When doing the "rebuild" do i need to replace the guides? How many Bush "b" sliders do I need? Is it 2 guides and 4 sliders? Did I read this right? Sorry for the "repetitive" questions but the bikes are in storage 60 miles away so when I go to do the work on them I want to make sure I am prepared.

So I will need:

2 seal sets (one for each fork)
2 circlips
2 bush guides
4 bush "b" sliders

Thanks in advance....

Mike
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#3 01-19-2011, 08:06 AM,
PanMan75 Wrote:Thanks for the quick response. When doing the "rebuild" do i need to replace the guides? How many Bush "b" sliders do I need? Is it 2 guides and 4 sliders? Did I read this right? Sorry for the "repetitive" questions but the bikes are in storage 60 miles away so when I go to do the work on them I want to make sure I am prepared.

So I will need:

2 seal sets (one for each fork)
2 circlips
2 bush guides
4 bush "b" sliders

Thanks in advance....

Mike

I made a mistake in my post, it is Item 17 on the microfiche (sliders) that now come in 1 piece rather than the two as it is shown.
I also ordered 4 but then took the others back after I found the change. Even the dealer didnt know till the parts came in
but I think I would order 4 then if the other two are not needed send them back at least that way you will have all the parts.

#4 01-19-2011, 09:12 AM,
tricky Wrote:I made a mistake in my post, it is Item 17 on the microfiche (sliders) that now come in 1 piece rather than the two as it is shown.
I also ordered 4 but then took the others back after I found the change. Even the dealer didnt know till the parts came in
but I think I would order 4 then if the other two are not needed send them back at least that way you will have all the parts.

That's what I was thinking.....I figure if worse comes to worse I have 2 extra bush sliders. Thanks for the response. I hope its as easy as everyone has said. I have never done forks on a bike before so this is new territory for me. I have done major automotive work, so I can't see the technical difficulty be much harder than what I have done. You guys have been very informative here from your write up to even William's posts about his experience with what he did and all his pics. Wish me luck and I will let you know how it goes....lol
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#5 01-19-2011, 09:49 AM,
I find it easier to remove the forks from the bike and do the work on the bench.

Some leave the fork on the bike and remove the lower section.

You talk about doing the springs, I would install Progressive springs while your at it.

Be careful of flying parts when you remove the cap.

#6 01-19-2011, 12:50 PM,
Good questions. I'm looking to do the front Progressive springs this season too. My concern is I thought I read there is some special tool needed, but can be fabricated? I've been searching the tech threads and haven't found Tricky's instruction post. Could you link that please. And please take plenty of photos.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#7 01-19-2011, 06:04 PM,
Roleketu Wrote:Good questions. I'm looking to do the front Progressive springs this season too. My concern is I thought I read there is some special tool needed, but can be fabricated? I've been searching the tech threads and haven't found Tricky's instruction post. Could you link that please. And please take plenty of photos.

If there was a special tool I never used it :- :-
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://gl1200goldwings.com/techcenter/article1001.htm">http://gl1200goldwings.com/techcenter/article1001.htm</a><!-- m -->

#8 01-19-2011, 06:07 PM,
Damn you're fast Tricky. I was just browsing my watch list in EBay and was looking at the Steering Arm Bearing Kit that I was thinking of doing along with the springs, and I thought to myself, Oh that's where the special tool is needed. I better go edit my post, but you beat me to it. So seeing as you're at your computer, is it the steering arm bearing that a special tool is needed?
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#9 01-19-2011, 06:34 PM,
Supposedly there is a tool required for head bearing adjustment.

Although I didnt use one when I replaced the head bearings on my Aspy many years ago.

#10 01-19-2011, 09:09 PM,
tricky Wrote:I find it easier to remove the forks from the bike and do the work on the bench.

Some leave the fork on the bike and remove the lower section.

You talk about doing the springs, I would install Progressive springs while your at it.

Be careful of flying parts when you remove the cap.

I figure it would be easier to just remove them off the bike. Since I can't get any info from her about race tech springs, I will go with the progressive. Thanks again!!!
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#11 01-20-2011, 08:23 AM,
I have removed the forks from the bike, I have almost all disassembled except for the bottom socket bolt. They are both stripped. Is this needed to be removed to bang out the oil seals and bushings? This holds the piston correct? Do I need to have it extracted or can I finish the job without. I have tried to extract with what I have but my extrator isn't catching and I don't wanna damage the head any further. Any help will be appreciated.....
Thanks in advance,
Mike.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#12 02-26-2011, 12:30 PM,
i just drill out the socket head,take it easy and try to yank hard on the assembly every once in awhile and the head will break off and the lower fork will come off,then its an easy job to get the stud out once its apart
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#13 02-26-2011, 12:58 PM,
So basically break the head on the allen bolt and run to home depot for replace.....is it worth going to a shop to extract or drill out? How hard was it to break the head off?
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

#14 02-26-2011, 02:12 PM,
once u get the head pretty much drilled thru a yank will break off the rest and the lower assembly can be yanked apart,remember when you are are doing that the fork seal etc are being pulled out at same time
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#15 02-26-2011, 04:33 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  front forks ironhead1970 10 5,201 03-21-2014, 05:04 PM
Last Post: ironhead1970
  front forks 3 1,677 10-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Last Post: Guest
  air in front forks mikey b 3 1,682 09-13-2010, 07:22 AM