Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timing belts, OH #%$##%^&^ what in the heck am I doing wrong
I am replaceing the timing belts.

I have the old ones off and trying to put the new ones from NAPA on and can't get the damn things to align up right. I am beginning to think that I ahve the wrong ones for a 1200.

I ensured the Left front piston was at TDC due to no mark on the crankshaft, and set the left belt on, then right belt on, then when I tighten the tennsioners up, the marks are off for the valves again. What in the heck am I not doing right?

If anyone is close to Medford or can give me a call. PM me and I will send my cell number.
US Navy (Ret) Submariner

USS Bergall, USS Archerfish, USS GC Marshal (B),
USS US Grant (G), USS Skipjack, USS Swordfish,
USS Alabama (B)

Spent a day or two underwater.....
#1 01-17-2011, 10:05 AM,
I've only done the timing belts on my 86 Aspy, however there must be a TDC marking. I'm sure one of the more Techy guys will post shortly.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#2 01-17-2011, 10:37 AM,
Did you remove the plug in the middle top of the motor and align the timing mark on the crank with the mark on the motor before you removed the old belts? If you did then the left camshaft should be in the correct position. The mark on the cam gear should align with the mark on the housing. When you remove the right belt, the cam gear will turn slightly due to the springs on the valves. You need to make sure the mark on the right cam gear is turned back to align with the mark on the housing before installing the right belt. The procedure is explained well in the Honda manual and my explanation is not to detailed.
Bryce
85 Interstate Wineberry Red
86 Interstate Denuim Blue Metalic
#3 01-17-2011, 02:18 PM,
the napa belt #'s are 25-0070 for the 84-87's gl's
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 01-17-2011, 04:30 PM,
Even if the Napa numbers are correct, compare the old belt length with the new belt length (sanity check).
If they are very closer to each other (old to new), then just take your time and do the suggestions already mentioned. I have replaced the belts on my '84I, my first time and it came out just fine. Even if a second person is not technically incline, a second pair of eyes would be helpful. Again, go slow, and all will turn out well.....promise. Stay with it and you will get it all taken care of.

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#5 01-18-2011, 09:46 PM,
I think I got it. but I have not tried to start the bike yet to find out. I ahve to much other stuff dismateled to do that yet. I will let you know. in a couple of weeks. and daggum the sun is out and 50 degrees and missing some good riding in the middle of january. :-L
US Navy (Ret) Submariner

USS Alabama (B)

#6 01-19-2011, 11:58 AM,
glad you got it going,its really easier than it seems,
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#7 01-19-2011, 12:10 PM,
Glad you got them on. Make sure you turn the motor over several times by hand before you even try to start it to make sure there is no inference with the valves and pistions. Good luck.
Bryce
85 Interstate Wineberry Red
86 Interstate Denuim Blue Metalic
#8 01-19-2011, 12:45 PM,
Yes while I was doing this. I got them on wrong and found the piston and valve together #-O . It was gentle touch [-X but they touched that was why I was freakin for a minute. Confusedhock: but not to be out done by an engine. I stepped back had a cold beer, :YMPRAY: went for a walk, deduced what I was doing wrong and asked for help. :YMPRAY: ^Smile^ ^Smile^ ^Smile^
US Navy (Ret) Submariner

USS Alabama (B)

#9 01-20-2011, 10:08 AM,
Fighting the urge to ‘throw it all back together’ and ‘fire it up’ saved you some serious damage and setback. Kuddos!!

Stepping back is a good idea.
Having a cold beer is a good idea as long as impairment is not caused.
Going for a walk is a good idea.
Putting a bit more thought into it is a good idea.

Basically – don’t rush!

Now, hand cranking (with spark plugs out, of course – but needs to be stated) several times (3X? or more) will give nights of peaceful sleep instead of sleepless nights.
Don’t think about the weather, do this right and do it once and you will maximize your ride time.

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#10 01-20-2011, 10:17 AM,
If the motor is at TDC (looking through that plug on the top of the motor) and the cam pulley marks are lining up, you've got it.

I was nervous the first time I changed my belts, but you learn so much and when it is all back together it makes perfect sense.

Crank it over by hand and make sure everything lines up.
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#11 01-20-2011, 08:07 PM,
How do you get a good look at the timing marks? I`v used a mirrow and ;ight I still don`t see any marks on the crank.

thanks Ron :oops:
#12 05-04-2011, 06:44 PM,
It should be pretty easy to see. Just go slow and have a helper turn the crank while you look in with a light. To be honest, when I did mine I turned the crank while my wife checked and she said there are no probs seeing it :x . Just make sure you are lining up the T-1 mark and not the other.
Mike                  
'84 Aspencade                                      
*Poorboy Conversion                              
* Bed-liner Black                                    

North Jersey Motorcycle Group
#13 05-05-2011, 03:46 AM,