Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
86 GL1200 SEi, LCD instrument cluster
Having trouble tracking down loose connect for when my LCD cluster flickers (acting like a broke wire, loose connection). This is an 86 GL12oo SEi, 82K miles, in Tuscon Az area. I have done the troubleshooting steps from the Clymer guide, multimeter at the connector behind the light, etc... seems to be something from the electronic trip computer on the tank, but it is so flakey, does not happen all the time, same speeds, bumpy or not, etc.... The weird part is it gets better when the engine temp gets hotter. Flickering all the time when it is cold. hardly at all when it is warm and engine gets hotter (sometimes). Then again, it flickers or goes out when it is warm outside and engine is hot. I don't get it.

I bought a whole wire harness from ebay, replaced the broken connectors, broken wires, changed out the fuse box and newer connectors. all electronics that didn't work are now working (including all functions of electronic trip computer). getting power to all connectors that are supposed to have power (by multimeter).

Any sugguestions?
#1 01-16-2011, 07:59 PM,
if you replaced cables and you now think that they are ok,the only thing left could be that there is a loose cable connection inside of the travel computer

if you used any di-electric grease during this,you might want to remove it as best you can

caused me some problems
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 01-16-2011, 08:44 PM,