Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
SPARK PLUGS • • • AGAIN
Maybe I shouldn't read so much. But anyhow, I was reading Honda's official Owner's Guide for the 1987 GL1200 Interstate. In a table of routine maintenance and distances traveled it says that spark plugs should be changed after each 4,000 miles (it recommends engine oil changes after each 8,000 miles).

Now then, that seems to me like a lot of plug changing.

Does anyone here change their spark plugs that often?

Question 2 is about Iridium plugs. For about a year, I've been using Iridium plugs in my '85 Interstate which runs like a top. [Actually, it runs like a GoldWing. :d ] My hunch has been that conventional plugs should be good for a lot more than 4,000 miles; and #2, Iridium plugs should be in good shape even after 8,000 miles 'cause that's what the iridium electrode is all about.

Any opinions?

BTW 1: The manual warns about the evils of alcohols in the fuel. In 1987, ethanol in fuel was an option -- today every pump has at least 10% ethanol. The manual warns against using any ethanol-laced fuel .. and says if you do then at least add a corrosion inhibitor.

BTW2: However, here's the kicker. The manual also warns that the bike's warranty is void if any owner uses fuel to which methyl alcohol is added!

BTW3: I'm back in the 'States. So if anyone still needs me to scan the second half of the owner's manual, now I can do it. Let me know.
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#1 11-29-2010, 05:43 AM,
I installed the Iridium plugs in the spring. I'll remove and check them next spring before the new riding season, and unless they are ugly and burnt, they'll go back in. Have about 8000 miles on them already.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#2 11-29-2010, 07:20 AM,
I doubt you need to worry about warranty Smile

If I use the NGK plugs I find they are pretty well useless after one year, now thats my case. About a season I find a couple of cylinders missing on start up with those plugs... after a few seconds they kick in, I put new ones in and it's good to go, for the price I shall stick with regular plugs if I put high priced plugs in, I would forget and change them after a year so that would be a waste Smile

I figure if people spent more time changing their brake fluid rather than worrying about ethanol they would have fewer problems, I think we have had ethanol in gas up here for years. maybe why I change the plugs.... who knows.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 11-29-2010, 07:34 AM,
I've used NGK iridium plugs since 2004. The set installed right now have lasted for 20,000 km and are doing just fine. I'm told they should be good for 100,000 km but we'll keep an eye on them and change them out as necessary.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#4 11-29-2010, 09:02 AM,
Keener Wrote:I've used NGK iridium plugs since 2004. The set installed right now have lasted for 20,000 km and are doing just fine. I'm told they should be good for 100,000 km but we'll keep an eye on them and change them out as necessary.

FANTASTIC ! :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#5 11-29-2010, 11:42 AM,
Fred,
Glad you made it back to the states. I am still interested in getting the second half of the owners manual.
Bryce
85 Interstate Wineberry Red
86 Interstate Denuim Blue Metalic
#6 11-29-2010, 12:46 PM,
I picked up a new set of NGK's today at lunch, plan to install tonight, what is the gap suppose to be?
#7 08-08-2011, 08:52 AM,
I tried iridium plugs and only got about 5,000 kl out of them and I had two cylinders missing. I went back to regular NGKs and this is my second season with them. I think I will stick with the regular NGK.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#8 08-08-2011, 05:39 PM,
arkansassuperdrafter Wrote:Fred,
Glad you made it back to the states. I am still interested in getting the second half of the owners manual.

I have a spare Honda GoldWing 1985 GL1200I Owner's Manual in new condition.

If you can use it, send me your mailing address and I'll send it to you as a gift.

I thought that in February I had posted all 92 pages that I scanned. Then I got a NEW computer and dumped most of the "non-essential" files from the old one (including the Manual). It will take me less time to mail you the real thing. It is actually an exact modern reprint page-for-page of the original Honda "blue" manual ... but an exact copy.

10-4

#9 08-08-2011, 05:41 PM,
seagullplayer Wrote:I picked up a new set of NGK's today at lunch, plan to install tonight, what is the gap suppose to be?

Since I was already fondling the Owner's Manual for Bryce (above) :d , I looked up the spark plug gap fer ya' on page 85 (I guess that's why it's handy to have the manual). Here's what it says (exactly):

Spark plug
Standard X24EPR-U9 (ND)
DPR8EA-9 (NGK)
for cold climates X22EPR-U9 (ND)
(Below 5°C, 41 °F DPR7EA-9 (NGK)
For extended high speed X27EPR-UP (ND)

Spark plug gap 0.8-0.9 mm (0.031 - 0.036 in)
idle speed 1,000 +/- 100 rpm

+++++++++++++++++++++

When I installed the Iridium plugs ... I think last year ... they came out of the box already gapped very close to the above value. From the day I installed them, my Wing has performed NOTICEABLY much better ... peppier, and better starts. It'd been over 4,000 miles with no misfires ever since the iridium plugs went in. 'Love em! :x

#10 08-08-2011, 06:09 PM,
Go figure, I posted that I'd check the Iridium plugs at the beginning of this season, well the Wing runs so good I never did check the plugs. Maybe I'll check them next spring.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#11 08-08-2011, 09:52 PM,
bluewing Wrote:I tried iridium plugs and only got about 5,000 kl out of them and I had two cylinders missing. I went back to regular NGKs and this is my second season with them. I think I will stick with the regular NGK.

VERSUS
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Ian's experience
I've used NGK iridium plugs since 2004. The set installed right now have lasted for 20,000 km and are doing just fine. I'm told they should be good for 100,000 km but we'll keep an eye on them and change them out as necessary.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

BOTH of you are running Aspencades, so why were your experiences so completely different with iridium plugs? I'd like to understand.

As you see above, I've been raving about the iridium plugs. But in some people's Wings they don't seem to work out. Why not? :-\ :-\ :-\

#12 08-08-2011, 10:11 PM,
Granpah Wrote:
bluewing Wrote:I tried iridium plugs and only got about 5,000 kl out of them and I had two cylinders missing. I went back to regular NGKs and this is my second season with them. I think I will stick with the regular NGK.

VERSUS
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Ian's experience
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

BOTH of you are running Aspencades, so why were your experiences so completely different with iridium plugs? I'd like to understand.

As you see above, I've been raving about the iridium plugs. But in some people's Wings they don't seem to work out. Why not? :-\ :-\ :-\

That's a good question? Maybe I got a bad batch. I think I will try them one more time and see how it turns out. There is no reason they should fail like that on my bike.

#13 08-09-2011, 03:44 AM,
Some bikes this age "breath" a little more oil than others and foul a plug a little more often?
Might not be the plug type as much as the mixture it is working in, one might be a bit leaner than the other...

Couple of ideas anyway.

Thanks for info BTW
#14 08-09-2011, 06:22 AM,
Any opinions on splitfire plugs? I've heard mixed reviews about them, and like any plugs, the manufacturer "claims" they burn cleaner. Just curious, was thinkin about putting some on my '87 Aspy.
Larry
No matter where you go, there you are...
1972 Yamaha DT175
1971 Triumph Tiger 650
1981 Yamaha Seca 750
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1983 Honda Shadow 700 (still own)
1987 Honda Goldwing Aspencade (my new baby)
#15 08-23-2011, 05:38 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  getting to spark plugs crispy1 3 589 08-23-2016, 12:47 PM
Last Post: jwebfournow
  Rubber Covers for Spark Plugs. Where can I get some 8 895 02-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Roleketu
  spark plugs 7 1,446 05-15-2008, 07:26 AM
Last Post: