Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1985 GL 1200 Decided to pull the heads. amending former post
Old Post
I bought this 1985 1200 Aspencade, it had been sitting out in the weather for the last 3 years PO said it ran before he removed the body parts for repainting, He got sick before he was able to put it back together.
Anyway I pulled the spark plugs and water came lowing out of the two on the left, not a good sign I know but that is all I know. Should I look for another motor or would it be possible to fix this one.
I am able to do some mechanical work and follow directions I have always done most repairs on my car. I am not afraid to tackle the job but I don't know any thing about diagnostics.
Help please from Missouri
Ed
aka Joshuame2

New post
I cannot get the starter to turn All she does is click, I can move the rear wheel with some effort while in gear (don't know if that means it is pushing the pistons or not), I sprayed penetrating oil into the cylinders tops, still can't get the starter to turn. Don't know if it is electrical or bad starter, or if she is ceased.
I drained the oil and it had water in it. So at the least bad head gasket if not a cracked head, I guess. Like I say not much on diagnostics.
I may have a line on an 1984 parts bike (no title) same model Aspencade 1200 just a different year. would engine and or parts swap over between the two??? I could probably get it pretty cheap. And maybe part it out when I finished my ride.
I have about decided to pull the heads. I only paid $350.00 for her, and the body parts are in excellent shape. Brand new seat passenger back rest and new arm rest. So even if I have to put $500.00 to a $1000.00 into her it would be worth it to me just to have a running Wing. I am retired and don't have a lot of money and could never have bought one outright but I can see me buying one a little at a time by rebuilding this one.

What I am asking is what do you think is it a reasonable effort or am I just chasing a pipe dream. She only shows 23000 miles on the speedo
PS Thank you every one for you input on the original post.
Ed
Newbe in Missouri

Current time is 12:02 pm
I did as suggested and put her in 5th gear and rotated the rear wheel and she turned. I am going get more oil and this PB blaster stuff. ATF and new filter and spark plugs. Also I hear that Sea Foam is good for a gas treatment. so tomorrow I will pull the gas tank instead of the heads. The fuel gauge says about 2/3 full so i will drain the tank. Any advice on how to clean the interior of the tank??? I have heard of tank sealer that coats the inside of the tank. Has anyone ever used such as this? I am hopping against hope that I won't have to work on the carbs as this scares me all those little sensitive parts and all. But I am pretty sure I will have to do it being setup for 3 years with old gas and all. The frame looks good no rust to speak of. I am still missing some braces and brackets for the fake gas tank. I figure I can look at another bike and figure out how to fabricate something there. Any ways that's the story now I guess I had better start taking pictures and get to work.
Wish me luck
Ed
#1 11-26-2010, 12:02 PM,
Good luck with your project. All i can say is go slow and check everything because with it sitting so long your probably
gonna backtrack a few times. If your afraid of the carbs it will save you time and money to take them to someone who does
that work and let them rebuild them.
Example i bought a boat a few years back and spent a week meticulously cleaning and rebuilding the carbs (2)
everytime i tried to start it gas pumped out the side. long story short took it to boat shop gritting my teeth
all the way he called me that afternoon with a happy its done and a bill of $136.00 i was happy to say the least.
just a suggestion. As far as the tank supports etc. Ebay has alot of parts bikes showing up should be able to find
those there.good luck and i can't wait to follow your progress.
87 Interstate
Can't wait till my next ride !!!!
#2 11-27-2010, 07:27 AM,
One thing is you don't need to get in a hurry. Let the pentrating oil do it's job, give it a few days or a week or so to work. On your parts bike, the 84 has some parts(starter, pulse generators, ect) that will only fit the 84. Taking the tank out is a pretty labor intensive job. Poorboy
#3 11-27-2010, 11:35 AM,