Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Smells like gasoline
For the past month or so my bike has smelled like gasoline everytime I have brought it into the garage. I have looked and looked and saw nothing dripping from the carbs or the hoses or the tank. I just chalked it up to normal ventilation. I was wrong.

One recent morning I heard my wife calling me to the garage because the garage was inundated with the smell of gasoline. I thought the lawnmower gas can had ruptured and spilled on the floor but that wasn't it. Upon further investigation I discovered that the black paint on my bike's engine was now a crinkle finish due to the fact that the fuel supply hose to the fuel pump had decomposed after 24 years of use and began leaking expensive gasoline all over my black engine causing the paint to lift. The reason I could smell gasoline for a month prior is that the gas would leak out and wick out into the braided cloth cover on the hose where it would evaporate undetected.

This may be something you might want to check out on your Wing if you notice the smell of gasoline on your bike. I replaced the entire hose from the shut off valve, new inline filter, to the pump and over the winter I will be changing all other hoses on the bike as a safety precaution. Over 2 decades of use is more than enough service to ask of any hose, besides they are cheap to replace considering the problems they can cause if they fail in service.

BTW, I used the more expensive fuel injection clamps because they work much better than the original wire clamps and the typical gear clamps.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#1 06-20-2007, 08:42 AM,
hey Vic,
sorry to hear about your paint job! I know that sucks.
I'm glad you mentioned this, for the last couple days I keep smelling gas but, haven't found anything. now I'll recheck my hoses.
thanks [Image: smash_new.gif]
John McFarland
Chapter Director
GWRRA FL2-W
member 367388
#2 06-20-2007, 11:28 AM,
I am going to have to go check mine over too. Have had those same symptoms for a couple of years or so. Could not find anything.
Thanks for posting.
1984 Aspencade
#3 06-20-2007, 07:49 PM,
Just had the same problem with my 86 Aspencade.
The hose from the fuel filter to the fuel pump was weak from age and was seeping fuel.
No wonder my millage seemed off.. Daa.
I replaced it with with just standard fuel line hose but I'm going to try and find some high quality line that looks better to replace it.
Any suggestions?
The journey chosen will determine the destination.
#4 07-06-2007, 08:35 PM,
You could get some decorative braided steel line from a hot rod shop. They even have the fancy clamps. $$$$$

#5 07-07-2007, 10:31 AM,
$$$$$$ I'm sure, But It will look good.

My wife doesn't need to go out for dinner this weekend. LOL
The journey chosen will determine the destination.
#6 07-12-2007, 06:15 PM,
Good timing, Vic as I've noticed a gasoline smell from my 'Wing as well of late. I picked up a new fuel filter and 4 feet of plain fuel line and will be replacing the old lines as soon as possible. The fancy braided line kits are just too fancy and a bit too pricey right now.

Where can I find the fuel injection clamps you mentioned?
#7 08-07-2007, 09:15 PM,
The Goodyear black fuel line I got for $1 at my local auto parts store. Black would look on your engine anyway Vic Smile
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#8 08-08-2007, 05:43 AM,
keener Wrote:Good timing, Vic as I've noticed a gasoline smell from my 'Wing as well of late. I picked up a new fuel filter and 4 feet of plain fuel line and will be replacing the old lines as soon as possible. The fancy braided line kits are just too fancy and a bit too pricey right now.

Where can I find the fuel injection clamps you mentioned?

Any good auto supply shop will have the fuel injection clamps Ian.

#9 08-08-2007, 09:11 AM,
tricky Wrote:The Goodyear black fuel line I got for $1 at my local auto parts store. Black would look on your engine anyway Vic Smile

I agree Rick and the white lettering will wash off with lacquer thinner.

#10 08-08-2007, 09:14 AM,
I have about 20 feet of high pressure hydraulic hose with SS wire mesh on it, do you think that would work for gas line??
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#11 08-08-2007, 09:42 PM,
Lane, I wouldn't want to guess. Can you peel back the covering and see what the hose rating is? Brake hose is hydraulic rated but if you use it for gasoline or motor oil it can do really strange things like swell up and disintegrate. If I were you I would want to be sure about that hose before using it just so it doesn't come apart and do some serious damage to your carburetors.

#12 08-09-2007, 08:23 AM,
Lane, I asked the supplier where I bought my new gas line the same question and was advised using hydraulic hose was a no-no.
#13 08-09-2007, 09:01 AM,
Vic, with regard to your comment about using lacquer thinner to remove the white lettering from the gas lines...

Will the thinner damage the hose in any way?
#14 08-09-2007, 09:05 AM,
A fast drying lacquer thinner wiped on lightly with a cloth is not going to to harm the hose it's just going to remove the ink imprint on the surface of the hose. Just don't soak the hose in lacquer thinner or else you might get some negative results.

#15 08-09-2007, 09:39 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Old air filter smells like gas pstelter 9 3,167 05-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Roleketu