Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
"HONEY, WHERE'D YOU PUT THE IGNITION KEY ?"
When I got my 85 Interstate last year, it came with 4 working keys. So there's one on the keyrack, one in the garage, one hidden on the bike, and one on the keychain. The same key fits the traunk saddle bags, and the ignition.
#16 02-23-2013, 07:10 PM,
(02-23-2013, 06:43 PM)roncar Wrote:
(02-23-2013, 02:24 PM)Granpah Wrote: I'd like to hear from ANYONE who ever bought a used bike that came with an extra ignition key. That would be novel.
Actually I've had 2 that came with more than one key.

The first had 3, but 2 of them were miss-cut and required serious jiggling to get them to work.

The other had an aftermarket ignition switch with both original keys. The lock is different in as none of my key blanks will go into the lock. Looks the same, but something is different, so I won't be able to cut any additional keys for that lock. (There was only 1 key for all the rest of that bikes locks, but I can make more of that one.)

You're one of the lucky ones Roncar. Since 2007, I've bought one Honda 500cc Shadow, two GL1000s, and two GL1200s and not one of them came with a spare key !

One possibility for a misfit is that for some reason, at one point Honda decided to make right-handed and left-handed versions of the same blank for a variety of motorcycle, motorscooter, and four-wheeled vehicle ignitions.

[Image: hon1a.jpg]

There's a good supplier of Honda GoldWing key blanks out there named John Blankenship who sells a variety of key banks for the GL1200 ignition at reasonable prices (in my opinion). His price range starts at $4 apiece for the simplest blank to $9 for a fancier one.

My favorite is a wood-like key which is pricier than the rest ($9)
[Image: woodheads.jpg]
but when I had TWO (2) GL1000s and one GL1200 (crazy me Big Grin), I used that fancier key so I could tell the others apart.

Quoting from Blankenship:
"If your present key has the groove cut on the right like the R blanks in the photos, order the R blank. You can also tell by your key code number. For 1977 to 1983 models using 3 numbers for the code (example: 312) the R blank is for codes ending in 01 to 20 and the L blank is for codes ending in 21 to 40. For 1983 to present models using codes that begin with a letter followed by 2 numbers (example: B23) the R blank is for codes beginning with an A or B and the L blank is for codes beginning with a C or D."

By the way, when I got my "new" Aspy earlier this year, and I visited my local REAL locksmith, he wouldn't cut the spare keys from my blanks. He said too many of the key blanks made in China (I thought everything comes from China) are made of specially hardened steel which ruined his expensive cutting wheel. He carried blanks that fit the GoldWing ignition, and still grumbling cut a couple of spares for me from those.
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#17 02-24-2013, 05:20 AM,
(02-24-2013, 05:20 AM)Granpah Wrote: You're one of the lucky ones Roncar. Since 2007, I've bought one Honda 500cc Shadow, two GL1000s, and two GL1200s and not one of them came with a spare key !
Those were the exception, not the rule. Most I have acquired came with 0 to 1.

(02-24-2013, 05:20 AM)Granpah Wrote: [b]One possibility for a misfit is that for some reason, at one point Honda decided to make right-handed and left-handed versions of the same blank for a variety of motorcycle, motorscooter, and four-wheeled vehicle ignitions.
Yes, I know and have both (actually all 4.)

.jpg   keys.JPG (Size: 170.58 KB / Downloads: 27)

(02-24-2013, 05:20 AM)Granpah Wrote: By the way, when I got my "new" Aspy earlier this year, and I visited my local REAL locksmith, he wouldn't cut the spare keys from my blanks. He said too many of the key blanks made in China (I thought everything comes from China) are made of specially hardened steel which ruined his expensive cutting wheel. He carried blanks that fit the GoldWing ignition, and still grumbling cut a couple of spares for me from those.
I know there are some steel keys and blanks out there, I have never ran into any blanks except brass or nickel-plated brass.
Ron
#18 02-24-2013, 07:21 AM,
Wow, thank you..It just dawned on me that yep! I only have the one key that was with the bike..so now that its in my mind..i'm going to follow your great advice!
Paul
Hillsboro, Oregon
#19 02-24-2013, 03:51 PM,
Whenever the Missus and I ride or drive oft more than an hour from home, both keep a key for our wheels. Figure the spare key doesn't do much good in the drawer back home.

#20 02-24-2013, 08:19 PM,