Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
1200 Handlebar Grips
sometime ago someone i believe posted that they were going to buy a set of grips such as these found on ebay,anyone bought or has seen these on a gl please comment

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180580686418&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ink:top:en</a><!-- m -->
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#1 11-05-2010, 05:45 AM,
A friend of mine got a pair off e-bay that looked like that and he said the foam started to peal after a short time. I use Kuryakyn, they fit my hand good and last for years.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#2 11-07-2010, 03:48 AM,
thanks,exactly what i needed to know
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 11-07-2010, 08:11 AM,
Earl, if you find something you like please post....last year I noticed my right hand getting tingly on long rides (like to northern Md!!) and I am wondering if a softer grip would help with that. I know you will come up with something that is just the cats a$$.

And how the heck do you get those old Honda grips off? Mine seem really stuck, do they have to be cut off?
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#4 11-09-2010, 07:56 AM,
when i was having the "tingling" feeling i tracked it down to the gloves i was wearing plus i added "throtlle rockers" to the grips which helped,right now i'm having problems with winter gloves which seem too smooth and slippery
leaning towards adding the kuryakin grips right now,i'm wondering myself how hard the stock grips are to remove myself
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#5 11-09-2010, 08:09 AM,
I would think, cutting them off, unless you wanted to keep them. Another thought is a blow dryer, soften them up and pull them off. WD40 works, but the new ones may be a bit slippery until the WD dissipates.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#6 11-09-2010, 09:22 AM,
did I read one time that they can be inflated with air and then pulled off?
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#7 11-09-2010, 10:28 AM,
just finished replacing grips on my sei and aspy with kuryakin iso grips as bluewing had suggested,boy that was an easy one about 1/2 hr max per bike,easily removed with a razor knife and a flat blade screwdriver,if anybody is interested posted below is the ebay link to the cheapest ones out there,same place i got the best price on my kury highway pegs in august

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOLDWING-PARTS-KURYAKYN-ISO-GRIPS-W-CHROME-ACCENT-6180-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c12a39d84QQitemZ120571796868QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOLDWING ... ccessories</a><!-- m -->
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#8 11-13-2010, 01:39 PM,
I second the Kuryakin ISO's. they're very comfortable and look nice. They're long so I have some room to change hand positions slightly during longer rides. It's minimal, but it makes a noticeable difference in my entire arm just being able to move up and back on the grips occasionally.

I also did something a little different on the left grip which has worked out nicely so far, too. I wrapped the handgrip area of the bar in electrical tape and didn't use any glue to keep the Kury grip on. The rubber against the electrical tape makes a nice tight grip on its own, but it leaves me enough wiggle room with some effort to spin the grip when i need to for comfort, and it's definitely on tight enough that it's not just going to slip off. of course I glued the throttle grip on.

To remove them, I simply razor cut the old stockers off, but i have removed grips from other bikes with an air compressor. just get the nozzle under the grip and give it a few good blasts; it'll 'lift' it right off and then give it a good tug.
#9 11-13-2010, 03:03 PM,
I got a decent deal on the Kuryakyn grips at GolwingOnline.com. Went ahead and order the ISO contour throttle rocker as well. Thought I had it all figured out where I wanted them, what position, and glued them on. The throttle never did set up, and I decided I wanted to reposition the left grip (which of course stuck just fine...). I broke loose the glue and bought some grip glue at a local shop. I cleaned the handle bars with some brake cleaner to remove any residue, but now neither one will stick in position. Thankfully the throttle grip isn't so loose that I have control issues, but the left one spins fairly easy, especially in this 25 degree weather, like this morning! I've considered the electrical tape trick, was looking for recommendations on a good glue. I think the fact that the inside of the grips still has the Kuryakyn residue is part of the problem. Love the grips, though, they match the foot pegs nicely, and the rocker looks sweet compared to the velcro strapped one I had on the old grips.
#10 11-19-2010, 09:50 AM,
wes,
if i didn't know better i think both our bikes are setup the same,including the throttle rockers

the grips i got last week,had glue that was dried up also and i put them on w/o glue,wrapped the grips with green 3M bodyshop tape and they both are tight enough that they dont slip at all,will wait till spring/summer i guess to see if there is a problem

one thing i did do before putting the tape on was buff both bars with a die grinder and a scotchbrite pad attachment,took the shine off the chrome and roughtened the plastic sleeve on the throttle side enough that tape stuck to it
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#11 11-19-2010, 10:55 AM,
Ahh, but you don't know better... they are the same, LED's, HID, and Poorboy converted, :lol: !
Thanks for the tip, figured some tape was probably the answer, was thinking of the old friction tape we used to use on baseball bats. Unless someone knew of some miracle glue. Naturally the glue only stuck where I didn't want it to, lock the throttle lock..Ugh, what a mess. Gonna love these grips one day though!
#12 11-19-2010, 11:43 AM,
BTW, did you totally wrap them, or just the "barber pole" wrap they mentioned in the directions?
Have a good ride.
#13 11-19-2010, 11:48 AM,
i barber poled them,probably two wraps on the left and maybe 3 on the right,i just did one wrap at a time and checked them till they were tight enough,may have to do it right next summer but for now its fine on both bikes
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#14 11-19-2010, 11:54 AM,
Thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in. My iso grips came loose within a month or two after I installed them. I used some Gorilla glue to put them back on. Seem solid as a rock now.
Bryce
85 Interstate Wineberry Red
86 Interstate Denuim Blue Metalic
#15 11-19-2010, 02:40 PM,