Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
carb clean
Honda shop says my '86 GL1200 Aspy needs a carb clean. (It IS missing a little on start up, "popping" on decileration and down shifting) May or may not have to pull them, take them apart, new gaskets/parts , etc. $500 to $750. Says there are hoses hanging down under the bike that are not connected, don't seem to go anywhere, etc. Bike was bought off E-Bay so I don't know what was done earlier and by whom.
My question is: how hard is it for a novice "shade tree mechanic" to do this?
#1 10-27-2010, 01:11 PM,
Would highly recommend getting a service manual or two. See if you can find those unhooked hoses to know what they are and what they are used for. Lots of recommendations for using Seafoam here also before tearing the carbs off the bike. It is a gasoline additive that seems to do a pretty good job. Used it on my 85 LTD with fuel injection that had all of a sudden start backfiring on coasting slow downs. Seems to have taken care of it....Smile
#2 10-27-2010, 02:29 PM,
I agree with Fire1386, get some service manuals on-line, E-bay, Stealership, or Library, and find out what those ‘danglings’ are. They may be from the battery overflow, smog canister or have some other VALID reason to dangle.
Also, Seafoam is a good idea, just follow the directions.
I would do the stuff you can do yourself BEFORE giving it to the Honda Shop. Change the oil and filter, air filter and the fuel filter, fresh spark plugs or clean and re-gap the old ones. Get to know your bike before handing it over to these guys.

Do you trust them?
Do you have a reference?
Do they know what they are doing?

This site is LOADED with information if you are willing to spend the time doing the research, reading and wrenching.

I consider myself an above average, backyard mechanic. Cautious about tackling something new, but not afraid.

My bike sat for two years and it took me two years of spare time to get it to the level of ‘cross country reliable’. I spent approximately $300/$350 in parts (tires being the most expensive @ $132 for the pair) and did ALL the labor. With the maintenance I performed, at a modest $65/hour rate, labor for the things I did would run approx. $2300!!!!!

I did the new oil/filter, air filter, fuel filter, timing belts, flush front and rear brake systems, flush clutch, rebuild carburetors, synchronized the carburetors, (bought used Mercury sticks) new intake o-rings, vacuum lines, fuel lines, replaced defective coils (with known, good, used coils), replaced missing fairing grill and ‘sharks teeth’, reinforcement bracket for trunk base, used trunk rack, tethered side covers, replaced fairing reflectors with LTD side fairing lights, added a HONDA Watersports Voltmeter, the electrical upgrades recommended by this site, and the slew of testing of the charging system. And a BUNCH of little, piddle things too numerous to remember without my notes.

Dude, the cost is in the labor, WHICH WE CAN ALL DO! The knowledge is HERE! The parts are available in a range of prices all that is left is the time and space to do it in.

I would recommend the oil/ filter, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and Seafoam approach and see what comes of it. $750 at the Honda shop will always be there.

You can do this!!!!!

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#3 10-29-2010, 10:23 AM,
Thanks for all of the advice guys, AND the vote of confidence. I am still amazed at the wealth of knowledge here.
I'll let you know how it turns out. Might not be untill next spring though.
#4 10-29-2010, 07:32 PM,
I just finished mine and it runs great! I will say I had two things going for me. First, I have rebuilt many auto carbs in the past. Second, I had all the folks on these sites and they are GREAT!!
#5 10-30-2010, 06:17 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carb Cleaning Update ( clean from the inside) 1 1,207 08-29-2008, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Guest