Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Tune or Sync
Howdy Wingers,

Recently joined the forum after purchasing a new to me 85I. Thanks to some encouragement gained by reading some of the other posts here, I just finished my own carb rebuild using Randaks kit. I now have a colortune on its way to me from England, but as it is, the bike is already running better after the rebuild without tuning and syncing, than it was before the rebuild. My question is, should I tune or sync first, or is there some technique envolving a combination of the two done simultaneously? Thanks in advance for the help.
#1 10-03-2010, 04:02 PM,
Tune first, synch last. Reason: if your timing belts are off by a tooth or two it will affect the synch, same goes if spark plugs are misfiring or if the compression is low on a cylinder or two.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 10-03-2010, 04:10 PM,
admin Wrote:Tune first, synch last. Reason: if your timing belts are off by a tooth or two it will affect the synch, same goes if spark plugs are misfiring or if the compression is low on a cylinder or two.

Thanks bro,

A timing belt replacement will soon follow since it's now a 25 year old bike with what I believe to be 53,000 correct miles, and nothing besides oil changes noted in the original owner's manual. Thanks for the tip.
#3 10-03-2010, 04:38 PM,
Smart move changing those timing belts.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#4 10-03-2010, 05:23 PM,
I just rebuilt my carb's and I would tell you tune the bike up first. Then do an idle drop. If youdid a major rebuild it is recomended that you do it. Then last but not least sync the carbs. It may be running good, but you won't know how close the carb's are till you check them. After the adjustments you might just be suprised on how much better she runs.
#5 10-14-2010, 04:42 PM,
if it was me i think i'd do the plugs and air filter frst,then the carb sync and then the colortune for the idle mixture,i'd keep checking the sync as you were doing the idle mixture because i'm sure that one will have an effect on the other
its the same type of procedure that's used when you dyno tune a motor tor racing
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#6 10-14-2010, 08:10 PM,
neoracer Wrote:if it was me i think i'd do the plugs and air filter frst,then the carb sync and then the colortune for the idle mixture,i'd keep checking the sync as you were doing the idle mixture because i'm sure that one will have an effect on the other
its the same type of procedure that's used when you dyno tune a motor tor racing

I agree that before you try the idle drop, sync them first. Then idle drop, then re-sync. If there was much change in the sync I'd idle drop again and sync. "Everything affects everything"!
#7 12-26-2010, 09:09 AM,
Chester Wrote:Howdy Wingers,

Recently joined the forum after purchasing a new to me 85I. Thanks to some encouragement gained by reading some of the other posts here, I just finished my own carb rebuild using Randaks kit. I now have a colortune on its way to me from England, but as it is, the bike is already running better after the rebuild without tuning and syncing, than it was before the rebuild. My question is, should I tune or sync first, or is there some technique envolving a combination of the two done simultaneously? Thanks in advance for the help.

It couldn't hurt to sync first then tune, then sync again, just to see what the tune can do for performance. I have done this AND taken notes to keep track of what works and what doesn't. The notes are a great reference for the future.

-Ride On ~O)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#8 01-03-2011, 10:19 PM,
Sync or swim! :lol:

If you didn't already do it, I'd consider the switch to iridium plugs rather than OEM.

See HERE ENDS THE GREAT IRIDIUM vs Autolite 4163 PLUG DEBATE?. :YMHUG:

Ta da! The great

NGK IRIDIUM IX SPARK PLUG DPR8EIX-9

[Image: 41posjHF9yL._SS400_.jpg]

NOW, only $7.40 a pop!

++++++++++++++

'Thought you'd like to see some pics of how plugs are manufactured in China.

[attachment=0]
[attachment=2]
[attachment=1]

Attached Files
.jpg   From Clipboard.jpg (Size: 140.23 KB / Downloads: 386)
.jpg   NGK Plugs.jpg (Size: 88.88 KB / Downloads: 387)
.jpg   China plugs.jpg (Size: 113.1 KB / Downloads: 386)
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#9 01-04-2011, 02:01 AM,