Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Changing speed sensor
I have just changed my speed sensor and thought I would post how I did it for those who have never done it. The speed sensor is on the left side of the front fork by the front wheel and it is held on with one phillip's screw. After you take the screw out you have to do a bit of wiggling to get the sensor loose. If you follow the wire it will go up beside the left front fork and under the false tank. Once you have taken the false tank off you will see the bracket that holds the connector for the speed sensor. Then you unplug the old sensor, make sure the plugs are clean and have enough dielectrical grease and plug the new sensor in. Reinstall the new sensor onto the front left fork and tie wrap the wire back in place. It took me about 1 hr from the time I started and went for a 30 km run to try it out.
Here are some pics of the socket, bracket and speed sensor.

[Image: 100_3278.JPG]

[Image: 100_3279.JPG]

[Image: 100_3291.JPG]
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#1 09-19-2010, 09:36 AM,
lane,have had two instances of that phillips screw head holding the speed sensor being stripped out over the years

replaced it with a metric 4mm allen bolt about 20mm long held in with a minimal torque setting and a drop of blue loctite,just had to make sure that i had the correct key size in my toolkit on the bike

its not in the best location to get too,especially if its egged out
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 09-19-2010, 10:17 AM,
I'm in the middle of doing my fork seals, and ran into the philips head screw holding the sensor on. I could get a good grip on the screw, but still not wanting to budge. I could feel is starting to strip the head of the screw out. My solution was to remove the four screws holding the sensor together. Separate the halves and be careful not to smack either half. Now that the wheel is free and I can get at it, I will do the allen bolt replacement.
#3 09-19-2010, 11:05 AM,
If you have a case of the screw not wanting to move. Get a good phillips driver, put the driver in the screw and give it a sharp tap with a hammer, that should loosen it enough to start to turn by hand.
When installing, use never seize.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 09-19-2010, 01:15 PM,
neoracer Wrote:lane,have had two instances of that phillips screw head holding the speed sensor being stripped out over the years

replaced it with a metric 4mm allen bolt about 20mm long held in with a minimal torque setting and a drop of blue loctite,just had to make sure that i had the correct key size in my toolkit on the bike

its not in the best location to get too,especially if its egged out
That is a good idea, I think I will do that asap, Thanks.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#5 09-19-2010, 02:13 PM,
tricky Wrote:If you have a case of the screw not wanting to move. Get a good phillips driver, put the driver in the screw and give it a sharp tap with a hammer, that should loosen it enough to start to turn by hand.
When installing, use never seize.
Giving it a smack like you said does work very well, I also have an impact driver that has saved me a few times.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#6 09-19-2010, 02:15 PM,
A good impact driver is a worthy addition to the old tool box. Not that expensive, either.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#7 09-19-2010, 04:28 PM,
And be sure to always use the largest size screw driver that will fit into the screws head!
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#8 09-19-2010, 06:22 PM,
bluewing Wrote:I have just changed my speed sensor and thought I would post how I did it for those who have never done it. The speed sensor is on the left side of the front fork by the front wheel and it is held on with one phillip's screw. After you take the screw out you have to do a bit of wiggling to get the sensor loose. If you follow the wire it will go up beside the left front fork and under the false tank. Once you have taken the false tank off you will see the bracket that holds the connector for the speed sensor. Then you unplug the old sensor, make sure the plugs are clean and have enough dielectrical grease and plug the new sensor in. Reinstall the new sensor onto the front left fork and tie wrap the wire back in place. It took me about 1 hr from the time I started and went for a 30 km run to try it out.
Here are some pics of the socket, bracket and speed sensor.

[Image: 100_3278.JPG]

[Image: 100_3279.JPG]

[Image: 100_3291.JPG]

Well done Lane. I'm glad to read that you finally got that speedo working properly.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#9 09-20-2010, 09:00 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problem with my speed sensor --any help???? floridawing 15 2,605 03-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Bill Davis
  speed sensor issues I think aragonwhite 7 1,412 09-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky