Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Tire Dating
Though I won't be buying new tires for Wanda until next Spring (which gives me ample time to decide on what brand) I had a look at the Bridgestone Spitfire S11's on her now and noticed they were manufactured in June and August of 2003! Even without the lack of remaining tread, it would be time to replace them, right?

They have been good tires, though, so another set will be considered along with the EIII's and Michelin Commanders to mention just two.

Feel free to provide your recommendations as I have about six months to research the matter! :-L
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#1 09-15-2010, 01:24 PM,
I can only post on what I've used. This season I went with the E3's. I've been quite happy with them. They kept their grip in pounding rain and howling wind as I crossed the bridge from Buffalo NY to Niagara Falls Ont. And the road cracks don't phase the E3's. The old tires followed the cracks like crazy. I've put on 8000 miles this season and the tires still look good. I also used the balancing beads in them instead of stick on wheel weights.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#2 09-15-2010, 02:03 PM,
I highly recommend Dunlop EIII's for our Gold Wings. They have come way down in price and they are the best performing tire I have ever used on a GL1200.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 09-15-2010, 04:35 PM,
I'm new to wings...

BUT I have to say the Shinko's I purchased (Due to major budget constraints) have served me VERY WELL. I now have 12K on them but looking at the wear indicator I probably only have 2-3K more on the rear. They grip well, handle weather well and just an above average tire for the Price.

I'm not going with them again as I'm going to move to another tire to compare and see if I can find something with better milage.

This time around I'm going with Michelins. After those I'll move on the the E3's

I have to say the original E2's were horrible, NOW take with a grain of salt because I did find out from my date code that the e2's I had on the goldwing I purchased were 20 years old! LOL! I actually had to cut them off the rims the rubber was so hardened.

But before I ramble on and on I just wanted to comment that the Shinko's aren't bad at all, they last decent, ride quite and grip above average, if Budget is a concern I can say take them for a whirl...they will last a single season and keep you safe while doing those miles.
#4 09-16-2010, 10:41 AM,
My E2s have 30,000 on the front and 35,000 on the rear and still have tread on them. I am going with E 3s next year.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#5 09-16-2010, 01:20 PM,