Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
question about 85 starter solenoid
Hello all,
I believe I am having solenoid issues, no big deal I thought. I have aleady done the conversion of the 30 amp dogbone to an automotive blade style a few months back. But now I think the solenoid may be bad.
Here is the funny thing. My solenoid has two main terminals and two spade connections. This is the same style solenoid featured in the tech article about the 30 amp conversion that I think was written by Tricky.
The problem is all the solenoids out there new and used have the two main terminals and FOUR spade connectors.
The honda dealer told me all that is available are these four spaders, I've talked with a salvage shop whose owner says he has never seen a 1200 solenoid with just two spades and that all 1200 solenoids are the same.
So,
#1. does it matter if the solenoid has two or four spade connectors since I only have two wires to operate it?
#2. Does anyone else out there have just the two spades like me?
#3. Where can I get one?
#4. Is there a way to check out a starter solenoid?
#1 09-09-2010, 10:50 PM,
My solenoid has 4 spade connectors and I only use two of them. You can check the solenoid by taking it out and touching the two spade connectors with a battery charger. The solenoid should click and the circuit for the two large terminals should close. You could have another person check the large terminals with a multimeter set for ohms, if you get a reading when the solenoid clicks it should be in working order.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#2 09-10-2010, 03:55 AM,
Two of the spades are actually in the solenoid to enable it to close.
The other two you will find are for supplying the voltage to the bike through a fuse (30amp)

In the write up you will find that the plastic housing molded around the top of the solenoid was burnt and removed leaving just the two that controlled the solenoid, hence the use of an automotive 30amp fuse holder, which by the way are not immune from melting in the same fashion if not maintained and checked on occasion.

The new solenoid would again provide you with four spades. for you to plug into, possibly with a built in auto spade fuse.

It is possible for the solenoid itself to quit. You will need to determine if this is what is happening in your case.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 09-10-2010, 04:47 AM,
Thanks for the help.
I checked the solenoid thru a battery charger and it clicked. So we know that is good.
I also had the starter freshly rebuilt and rechecked so we know that is good.
The right hand kill/start switch has also been checked and it is good.
But nothing happens when you push the button. Not even a click from the solenoid.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Isn't there a clutch or nuetral position switch that may cause this?
I'm getting low on options.
Please send ideas :YMPRAY:
By the way, how does the nuetral positioning switch kill power to the bike? Does it cut spark or what?
#4 09-10-2010, 03:31 PM,
Check the Red/yellow wire for voltage when the starter is pressed and the red/green should show continuity to ground.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#5 09-10-2010, 04:56 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starter Solenoid Bad joshuame2 5 3,230 01-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Last Post: Frank