Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Oil filters??
OK, so yesterday I was at the Honda shop picking up an air filter, and I decided my ride deserved better than the Fram cartridge type oil filter I had been running so I picked up an OEM Honda filter for about $9. A little pricey, but not bad for an OEM filter I thought.

I got home and jumped right into the oil change, and was a little surprised to see that the OEM filter was nearly identical to the Fram filter that I took out of the bike .... for nearly twice the cost.

My question ... is there a difference that I can't see? Both filters appeared to have the same construction, same number of pleats, same metal end caps.

What filters do you guys run?
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#1 08-29-2010, 05:40 AM,
the difference is in the filter paper construction and its filtering ability

fram is on the bottom of my filters to use list,wix/napa is on the top

one nice thing about using a spin-on adapter is that with napa you can use the silver 21085 vs the gold #1085 and save even more per change

especially good if you are one that does oil changes every 2-3K miles,biggest difference is the filtering capacity(ability to hold trapped particles),even the silver to built to exceed the original oem filter

pm sent
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 08-29-2010, 08:10 AM,
When I made the switch to Amsoil 10W-40 synthetic, I also made the switch to a Wix cartridge filter. Mother Honda is charging far too much for a sub-standard product.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#3 08-29-2010, 08:12 AM,
Yup. I'm with Neoracer and Ian on converting to a spin on filter, then go for the spin-on silver 21085.

There is already a very long discussion here of conversion to spin-on filters.
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#4 08-29-2010, 06:20 PM,