Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Noise has me stumped
I took off with the better half a little while ago and didn't make it two blocks up the street when I noticed a noise coming from the rear end that sounded like a slightly stuck brake pad or an ever so slight warp in a rotor that makes that swish/grind intermittent noise that changes with the speed of the wheel. Long story short, it is only happening when I am accelerating. It's quiet as a church mouse in neutral, or in gear for that matter. Give it some gas and the noise is there.

I live on a side street, so I was riding in a circle at idle speed. Quiet and no noise. When I twist the throttle slightly (and I mean slightly... you don't even notice or hear the difference in the engine) that "rubbing break pad" noise is there.

I just had the rear end (splines and final drive) replaced, lubricated, new brake pads and rebuilt caliper. New rear tire. I thought I was good to go for a long time; until tonight.

I want to add that touching the rear brake does not make the noise go away or change the noise in any way. I think that's what's got me so darn stumped. :evil:

Any ideas?

Rich
#1 08-18-2010, 04:38 PM,
Interesting. I'm chasing an elusive and intermittent low speed only (almost walking speed) clinking noise that goes from loud to barely audible. It's road speed related not engine speed, touching the rear brakes makes no difference and getting on the throttle or off doesn't change things. So far I've replaced the final drive (no change) and next is the u-joint and if that doesn't work it means changing the engine I guess because I just don't feel comfortable driving a bike that has an intermittent noise that I just cannot identify. I'm wide open to suggestions from anyone. Maybe someone can solve this noise riddle for ccdouble and I.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 08-18-2010, 07:26 PM,
cc could new tire be rubbing fender left side at the top ? Rear brake line rubbing tire? Caliper bracket and spacers installed correct ? Rear shocks air pressure ?
joe
#3 08-18-2010, 08:30 PM,
Vic, pull ujoint boot too the rear of bike rub a magnet bar on bottom of boot. If the magnet has metal cuttings on its a bad ujoint or spines .
joe
#4 08-18-2010, 08:47 PM,
I agree with Joe-- I'd bet a u-joint-- Good luck
Tim
currenlty own
Car, truck, and bicycle :)
formerly owned
86 SEI,83GL 650i,82GL 500i
450 nighthawk, german spec CB 650, KZ 100, YZ 125, CT90
http://catman01.webs.com/
#5 08-19-2010, 08:32 PM,
Thanks for the suggestions. Of course, my work called me out of the office for the remainder of last week, so I haven't been home to tinker. This morning, I got up, took off the rear bags and checked everything that I could. I cleaned everything, checked the oil in the rear, checked all clearances; anything and everything I could think of. Of course, I didn't find a thing. I put everything all back together, took her for a ride and the noise is gone, except for when I hit a bump. I can hear a split second of the same noise I heard last week, but not near as loud. I don't have a clue, but at this point I'm not going to worry about it. (Easier said than done). I just put a new final drive and rear spline in about 6 weeks ago or so, all new lube and the whole nine yards. The universals were fine at that time, so I guess I'll just ride her for a while and see what happens.

Even after having her for about 3 years now and dumping about 1500.00 in her since picking her up, I'm still having a passionate love affair with the old gal.
#6 08-21-2010, 11:47 AM,
ccdouble Wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. Of course, my work called me out of the office for the remainder of last week, so I haven't been home to tinker. This morning, I got up, took off the rear bags and checked everything that I could. I cleaned everything, checked the oil in the rear, checked all clearances; anything and everything I could think of. Of course, I didn't find a thing. I put everything all back together, took her for a ride and the noise is gone, except for when I hit a bump. I can hear a split second of the same noise I heard last week, but not near as loud. I don't have a clue, but at this point I'm not going to worry about it. (Easier said than done). I just put a new final drive and rear spline in about 6 weeks ago or so, all new lube and the whole nine yards. The universals were fine at that time, so I guess I'll just ride her for a while and see what happens.

Even after having her for about 3 years now and dumping about 1500.00 in her since picking her up, I'm still having a passionate love affair with the old gal.
Put max air in rear shocks then go for a ride. Had problem with e 111 rubbing left sidewall close to chicken strip. If axle nut is too tight can cause a tightness or binding in rear wheel, it should turn freely.
joe
#7 08-21-2010, 01:08 PM,
ccdouble Wrote:I took off with the better half a little while ago and didn't make it two blocks up the street when I noticed a noise coming from the rear end that sounded like a slightly stuck brake pad or an ever so slight warp in a rotor that makes that swish/grind intermittent noise that changes with the speed of the wheel. Long story short, it is only happening when I am accelerating. It's quiet as a church mouse in neutral, or in gear for that matter. Give it some gas and the noise is there.

I live on a side street, so I was riding in a circle at idle speed. Quiet and no noise. When I twist the throttle slightly (and I mean slightly... you don't even notice or hear the difference in the engine) that "rubbing break pad" noise is there.

I just had the rear end (splines and final drive) replaced, lubricated, new brake pads and rebuilt caliper. New rear tire. I thought I was good to go for a long time; until tonight.

I want to add that touching the rear brake does not make the noise go away or change the noise in any way. I think that's what's got me so darn stumped. :evil:

and then.....

ccdouble Wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. Of course, my work called me out of the office for the remainder of last week, so I haven't been home to tinker. This morning, I got up, took off the rear bags and checked everything that I could. I cleaned everything, checked the oil in the rear, checked all clearances; anything and everything I could think of. Of course, I didn't find a thing. I put everything all back together, took her for a ride and the noise is gone, except for when I hit a bump. I can hear a split second of the same noise I heard last week, but not near as loud. I don't have a clue, but at this point I'm not going to worry about it. (Easier said than done). I just put a new final drive and rear spline in about 6 weeks ago or so, all new lube and the whole nine yards. The universals were fine at that time, so I guess I'll just ride her for a while and see what happens.

Any ideas?

Rich

It seems to me you are on the right track....first, don't accelerate and if you want the noise to go away completely, take off everything you took off the last time it got quieter.

Superstitious? Nah!

Although, u-joint is a good suggestion, I would not rule out spline damage if installed incorrectly. I never hurts to double check.

Happy Trails!
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#8 08-24-2010, 03:08 PM,
This may or may not be related. But hear me out.

About a month ago I had my bike apart to pull the rear wheel and get a new tire mounted. Everything went fine, when I put it all back together I found that little clip that goes between the rear caliper and the caliper mounting bracket laying on the garage floor. No way I was taking things apart to put that silly little clip in, so I stuck it on the shelf in the garage and went riding.

Before long I was hearing noises similar to what you guys are describing. On a rainy morning, I took things apart and put that little clip back in. Noise gone. I think at certain times the caliper was moving around and rubbing on the bracket. That shiny little clip appears to serve as a friction buffer between the two.

Maybe I'm nuts, but my noise is gone. I don't think mother Honda went to the trouble to put that clip in there for nothing.

Any thoughts?
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#9 08-24-2010, 06:33 PM,
Hey Vic,

When my rear wheel bearings got loose in the hub they made a clicking noise (kinda like a stone in the tread would sound like)... Do you have a different rear wheel to mount in there and try.???
Ed Zogg
#10 08-24-2010, 09:23 PM,
First check the torque on the rear axle( i.e. retorque). This should make a difference. Remember you have a tube spacer in between the inner races of the bearings, this spacer is not real snug around the axle and relies on the torqueing of the axle to push the inner races of the bearing against that tube. But this may also be a sign of the bearings going away. Pretty certain it is one or the other. If retorqueing stops the noise, I would look at the axle bearings anyway.
There pretty inexpensive to replace. I really believe you will find your answer.
Jim
#11 08-30-2011, 06:12 PM,
Vic and CC did you find the source of your noise ?
joe
#12 08-31-2011, 08:36 PM,
Joe,

I replaced the final drive; been quiet as a church ever since. (except for all the exhaust leaks lol)
#13 09-02-2011, 06:02 PM,