Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Remove Fork Bottom Bolt -- HALP!
OK I'm stuck. In the Fork Seal Replacement article in the Tech Center, It Says;

"There are times when the inner piston turns when trying to remove the lower socket bolt if this happens one can lock the inner piston by removing the anti dive mechanism you can find a hole where you can insert a bar to prevent the inner piston from turning with the socket bolt."

Evidently permanent Lock-tite was used on the this Allen Head bolt. Can't get it off AND can't locate the hole referred to in the quote. Anyone have a clue where this hole might be?

Fork on bench
Drained
Anti-dive mechanism removed
I've tired heat - propane torch
Tried lifting any springs inside I can get to - still no joy.

Any help / advice appreciated. =)

Michael B
Vancouver, WA
85 Aspy
#1 08-29-2010, 03:39 PM,
usually in that situation if you hit it with an allen socket and a 1/2" impact it will break the loctite seal and come out,just be sure the socket is firmly in the bolt or you will strip it and then have to drill out the allen head top which works too

since you have it on the bench a propane torch and heating the bolt will usually break the loctite seal too
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 08-29-2010, 06:38 PM,
someone mentioned jamming a broom stick handle in and that worked to hold it.

Did you remove the springs prior to trying to remove the bottom bolt? They normal keep enough pressure on the lower piston to prevent it from turning while you undo the Allen bolt.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 08-30-2010, 05:27 AM,
Both good ideas - Thanks!!

I had the springs out when I tried it the first time. No go. Then took the fork out, put the spring back in...round and round goes the piston inside.

The impact wrench is a good idea after heating the carp outta the bottom end bolt. I'm also going to try the broomstick idea.

Permanent Lock-Tite can only be loosened with heat. And :YMPRAY:

I'll be sure and post how I get 'er done for the benefit of others.
#4 08-30-2010, 09:08 AM,
if its loctited you will see a puff of smoke when it melts

loctite really only starts to work when it contacts metal and what actually happens is it cures into a plastic to metal bond
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#5 08-31-2010, 02:49 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suspension Bottom out ? RuninWideOpen 6 2,480 03-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Roleketu