Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
New to Goldwings. Durn, my feet get hot
I have a set of sidecovers ordered. I wonder how they would look just painted satin black. I think I will start with that. I can always repaint them to match my bike.
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne
#16 08-13-2010, 03:50 AM,
tricky Wrote:Gee whiz are we getting near to air conditioning.... :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY:

So much for the the "keep the bike stock group" :d :d :-@ :-@

stock bike ideas were gone with spin on oil filters and poorboy conversions.

With my lowers removed it feels like I've got a convertible with the top down. **==
#17 08-13-2010, 03:55 AM,
tricky Wrote:So much for the the "keep the bike stock group" :d :d :-@ :-@

Hell's bells. lets REALLY get classical and get rid of all of them heavy, fuel burning, carbon Big Foot-print extra stock Aspy goodies and return to the good old stock group!
[Image: 1949_Honda_Dream_D-Type.jpg]
:d :lol: :-@

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

One other thing (add as an after thought 13 Aug'10), just like I spent 40 years working in a cancer research lab to try come up with something new and useful for my fellow humans suffering with cancer, and in 1977, 1979 worked behind the Iron Curtain in Pres. Jimmy Carter's scientific exchange program to try help my country **== to better deal with the Soviet Union (where are THEY now?! :YMALIEN: ), a fellow Winger complained about a heat problem affecting his wife's and his feet. So I'm trying to find a remedy that could help them out -- on my own nickel. i'm sure anyone else with a little extra time on his hands and a few extra nickels in his pocket would do the same thing.

I never intended to change the classic design of the stock GL1200. Just seeing of I can make a useful temporary change for dealing with a heat problem. So I'll keep on going, like I wasn't discouraged by the improbability of beating cancer which is a lot more complicated problem than overheated feet on a GoldWing on a hot summer day. :d

Removing the fairing lowers seems like a good beginning.
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#18 08-13-2010, 04:09 AM,
Could you explain just which part is the "fairing lower" for this ignorant rider?
Russ

Rides I've owned:
1965 Honda CB350
1971 Suzuki GT750
1984 GL1200I (after 33 yr. absence)
#19 08-14-2010, 07:28 PM,
Stock????? What does that look like???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#20 08-15-2010, 03:32 AM,
GoneFishin Wrote:Could you explain just which part is the "fairing lower" for this ignorant rider?

it's the part of the fairing directly on top of the spark plugs...

[Image: gllowers.jpg]

It makes for a rather gnarly look too, if you like that sort of style.
#21 08-15-2010, 03:43 AM,
snowy.vtwin Wrote:
GoneFishin Wrote:Could you explain just which part is the "fairing lower" for this ignorant rider?

it's the part of the fairing directly on top of the spark plugs...

[Image: gllowers.jpg]

It makes for a rather gnarly look too, if you like that sort of style.

I just might try this since it has been so hot here this month. There have been some uncomfortable days riding the 60 miles home from work. If this would cool things I am all for it so I can ride more days!
Russ

Rides I've owned:
1965 Honda CB350
1971 Suzuki GT750
1984 GL1200I (after 33 yr. absence)
#22 08-15-2010, 04:04 AM,
Just a suggestion, the PO (Original Owner) installed wind wings on my bike but was not happy with the size of the wings. His Son tells me his Dad did not like to be cold so his Dad took the short wings off and fabricated very tall wings. They start well above the edge of the fairing and continue down to the valve cover. I have a picture of my bike in the Gallery (if you have permission to view) and although my lowers were not installed at the time the picture was taken (they are installed now) you might be able to see how long they really are. A longer wind wing may be useful in ushering (or at least diluting) heat from the motor past you and your passenger’s feet. A longer wing could be used to direct air farther back than the operators feet.
Just another thought. Good luck.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#23 08-17-2010, 08:35 AM,
Salty Dog....

Where did you order your side covers from ? Seems like a good solution. **==
#24 08-17-2010, 08:09 PM,
He got them from me. Here's this week's ebay listing, you can also get them directly from me. PM sent.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110575618521&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ESELX%3AIT</a><!-- m -->
For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Matthew 16:26
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. 1 Timothy 6:10
#25 08-19-2010, 07:03 AM,
Here is a set of chrome engine covers on e-bay.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHROME-Engine-Covers-Honda-Gold-Wing-GL-1200-/180555498511?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a09f2440f">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHROME-E ... 2a09f2440f</a><!-- m -->
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#26 09-05-2010, 10:59 AM,
Hey Grandpah
I looked up in the international motorcycle dictionary the word stock. It had two words ANAL RETENTIVE ,
Huh who would have thought.
Thank you for everything you have done and will continue to do.
87 Interstate
Can't wait till my next ride !!!!
#27 09-24-2010, 07:34 AM,