Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
installing a relay switch for all your lighting needs
yep, I know what you mean Vic, living in a foreign country like you do makes it hard to find some stuff!
[Image: laughing.gif][Image: laughing.gif][Image: laughing.gif]
#16 06-13-2007, 10:21 AM,
OK guys,
I tore apart my wing this afternoon just so I could take some pics and finish up this post.
I’m a glutton for punishment! :lol:

[Image: Auxlightingswitch001.jpg]
#17 06-13-2007, 05:01 PM,
In this first view, I have taken the cover off the fuse box to expose the wiring mess. Now you know she aint so pretty underneath.
[Image: Auxlightingswitch004.jpg]
I’ll attempt to describe each wire that was used in this install. Hopefully this will be clear but if you have any questions please ask.

Coming off the top of the fuse box are two terminals. The left one is hot only when the key is on. The right one is ground. For the sake of argument, I’m going to guess on the gauge of the wire (size) I used 14, 16, 18 & 20ga in this project. Remember the smaller the number the larger the wire gauge. See the gray heavy wire on the left that looks like romex? (solid strand two wire home wiring) well it is kinda like that, only it is 14ga stranded wire suitable for DC voltage and housed in a soft pvc covering. This was installed by the PO. For the fog lights he added. I removed them and the switches. Anyway, this wire is connected directly to the battery, black from negative post directly to the black (-) wire “PILOT” 4 station control box. The white direct through inline fuse from the positive battery post to the red (+) wire on the relay main input terminal (see diagram) and from load out to control box (see diagram in previous post)

[Image: relay2.jpg]

well.. it's getting late, I'll finish this tomorrow
#18 06-13-2007, 06:40 PM,
OK, new day... same station!
So now you have a 14ga main line (black & white wires in gray covering) running from the battery up to the right side faring pocket with the ground connected to the switch panel control box and the white (+12) to the relay input side. The two 16ga (both black) wires (shown in pic) connect from the terminals at the top of fuse block to there respective terminals on the relay. If I was doing this for a customer, I would have used proper color coded wiring for obvious reasons. But, I was using what I had on hand and I knew where everything was connected to. Notice the left fuse block term has 3 wires connected; a black 16ga with red crimp connector, a red 16ga with white shrink tubing and a 20ga orange wire/red connector. The 16ga black/red crimp, is the one we’re connecting to the relay input side. The black 18ga wire on the right term is the ground going to the relay. Note, in my drawing I show the relay ground wire going direct to battery. In reality it goes to the fuse block ground terminal and the 14ga goes to the control box. It really does not matter as long as both have sufficient grounding.
Now your "PILOT" control box is ready to hook up to your accessories. How you run them is up to you but, I’ll show how I did mine.
The other wires in the photo have nothing to do with this project. Some are for the clock/temp/volt meter and the other are for the CD player/changer.
#19 06-14-2007, 01:23 PM,
These pics show how I modified the cover of the fuse block so it would fit over the crimp fittings that I added. Yes I could have done a little neater job if I had used the correct tool for making the notches but my pocket knife was handy. :lol:
[Image: Auxlightingswitch005.jpg]
[Image: Auxlightingswitch006.jpg]
sorry this one is a little out of focus. cheap camera :evil:
#20 06-14-2007, 01:36 PM,
shot of driving lights installed.
[Image: Auxlightingswitch013.jpg]
no, the right one just looks like it's bent in this pic.
#21 06-14-2007, 01:40 PM,
Now, looking at this photo, see the daylight showing through just to the lower right of fork tube?
[Image: Auxlightingswitch002.jpg]
Lots of wires running here and there. You can spot the gray (romex) coming from the left side, looping below the fork tube and into the right faring side pocket. That’s what supplies the power to control box. See the green wire with the white plastic “tie” around it? That is the feed for the driving lights. from control to lights.
#22 06-14-2007, 01:58 PM,
looking up, trying to get a good shot of light bar.
[Image: Auxlightingswitch010.jpg]

I didn’t want wires showing from my lights on the outside of bar and running up under faring so, I drilled a small hole in the tubing right at the back of the bend where it wouldn’t show. See the green wire at the top of radiator, that runs up into the faring pocket. Also you can see the white wire at the bottom of light, it is barely noticeable unless you’re laying on your back looking up!
#23 06-14-2007, 02:27 PM,
[Image: Auxlightingswitch008.jpg]

Here's a better shot, white lead is factory wire coming from the light,then connected to green wire going to switch.
#24 06-14-2007, 03:11 PM,
[Image: Auxlightingswitch011.jpg]

left side view, you can see the white lead but, just barely.
#25 06-14-2007, 03:15 PM,
here is a rough sketch of wiring inside light bar tubing. I used blue and green to show how both lights are connected together (would be green in photo) and red, represents the white wire in photo (above) of the light bar.
[Image: lightbarsketch.jpg]
#26 06-14-2007, 03:59 PM,
uh oh, this should have been posted earlier to show fuse block with cover. :oops:
[Image: Auxlightingswitch017.jpg]
#27 06-14-2007, 04:03 PM,
next I'll show a few pics of accessory's and I'm done with this post.
Vic, I hope I didn't use too much bandwidth with all the pics!

if there are any questions or if I made any mistakes Confusedhock: I know I probably confused some of ya, please let me know.
thanks
John

[Image: Auxlightingswitch019copy.jpg]
Side marker lights/eagle
#28 06-14-2007, 04:18 PM,
Thank you, the time you've taken to post this information is very much appreciated. You really have done a great job on your installation. It looks very solid and well done.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#29 06-14-2007, 04:20 PM,
[Image: Auxlightingswitch020copy.jpg]
Same eagles on rear saddlebags
I need to take a couple shots at night and post them.
#30 06-14-2007, 04:27 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  color code for Starter Relay Switch goldwingrider 2 2,437 01-03-2015, 12:37 AM
Last Post: bs175dths