Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
installing a relay switch for all your lighting needs
Well guys and gals,
Several of the gang members at our local GWRRA have asked me about the cool little quad switch I have installed on my right faring pocket cover so, I thought I’d put a little “how to” with pictures (so Vic can follow too) :lol: :lol: :lol: (just kidding Vic) the first two pics show what the PO had installed and I didn’t care fore it at all. [Image: oldswitch.jpg]

[/b][Image: oldsw2.jpg]

what a bad dream this was :!:

This is the quad switch I installed
in there place.
[Image: Auxlightingswitch007.jpg]
I picked the faring right pock cover (for my convince), although I am sure some of you might prefer other locations.

[Image: Auxlightingswitch002.jpg]
what the back side looks like. I drilled two small 1/8 inch holes the width of the ribbon wire and used a utility knife to connect them, making a slot approximately 1/8" X 5/8" for the wire to pass through. I used black silicone to seal.

[Image: Auxlightingswitch003.jpg]
This is what you end up with. note the plug on the end is why the hole has to be the size it does.

[Image: Auxlightingswitch008.jpg]
I used metal duct tape to secure ribbon to the cover.

[Image: Auxlightingswitch010.jpg]
The four gang relay has 4 each, positive and negative post for connecting your lights or whatever.

[Image: Auxlightingswitch011.jpg]
I just set relay in the pocket and replace the cover. it could be mounted most any place you like.

[Image: new125copyA.jpg]
finished product. I think it's a much improved look.
This controls my driving lights, aux markers, cigarette lighter(map light, radar detector, or?) the fourth is unused at this time.
note, the ground post is not needed for all applications.
also, this is wired so that the relay resets to the open (off) position when the key is turned off. when you restart your bike you have to turn the items you want back on.
just nibble on ear lobes and whisper sweet nothings...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This first part is just to show what was and what is now. If you like what you see, and want more info I will be happy to do a more in-depth how too. Most anyone can feel comfortable doing this mod on there own with a little basic knowledge of wiring.
Cheers,
John

OH! almost forgot, you can pick these switches up at most auto parts houses for about $25 us.
#1 06-11-2007, 12:56 PM,
might just be my PC acting up, but I dont see the images.
bamf_shadow
1984 GL1200I
#2 06-11-2007, 05:40 PM,
bamf_shadow Wrote:might just be my PC acting up, but I dont see the images.

well... I don't know why... is anyone else having trouble seeing the pictures? :oops:
#3 06-11-2007, 06:58 PM,
Well the first image is linked to <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://usera.imagecave.com/myplace46/oldsw2.jpg">http://usera.imagecave.com/myplace46/oldsw2.jpg</a><!-- m --> , and when I open that link in a new browser I get the standard Cannot Display This Webpage error usually associated with a bad link or a missing file.... Might just be me though...
bamf_shadow
1984 GL1200I
#4 06-11-2007, 07:07 PM,
:oops: guess I dont know what im doing here. on my computer it works fine! Vic, to the resque please, what the heck did I do wrong?
#5 06-11-2007, 07:11 PM,
Bamf, it isn't you, I can't get it on my girlfriends computer either :cry:
#6 06-11-2007, 07:14 PM,
I see the pictures just fine guys. Have you got some kind of firewall up or an anti virus running that stops pictures?
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#7 06-11-2007, 08:04 PM,
I really like what I see and you did a really clean install. Since I'm going to be installing some driving lights I would appreciate more detail on this switch set, brand name, complete price, installation cautions and anything else that would help make installation easier and better.

Thanks for posting this, it A1 in my books and makes the old switches look like antiques in comparison.

#8 06-11-2007, 08:11 PM,
Yeah... where all the info for that neat stuff?
Sure would save lots of headaches. I really like that it shuts off when the bike does so the drain isn't there when you start it back up.
1984 GL 1200 Interstate
#9 06-11-2007, 10:17 PM,
DaFueler Wrote:Yeah... where all the info for that neat stuff?
Sure would save lots of headaches. I really like that it shuts off when the bike does so the drain isn't there when you start it back up.

well... as soon as I can figure out why the photos aren't showing up I'll be happy to oblige! :oops:
#10 06-12-2007, 11:08 AM,
Sometimes if your account at Image Cave is over full you can have that sort of problem. Just dump some of your least favorite pics at Image Cave and see if that helps or start another account at Image Cave using another email address.

#11 06-12-2007, 11:31 AM,
OK, now I think I know what happened, something on imagecave server messed up temporarily. now we have two sets of pics showing up. I didn't realize that would happen when someone clicked on "quote" not only the message but also pics. sorry Vic, is there a better way to post something like this in the future so this wont happen? btw Vic, thanks for the kind words, I consider that a huge compliment!

I seem to have lost the other pics I had taken while I was installing the switch so I'll have to go tear the bike apart and retake them, :cry: but I feel it's worth it, the pictures say a lot. give me a day or two and I'll do a follow up. :wink:
John
#12 06-12-2007, 11:33 AM,
I went back and edited my post to remove the quoted section so the thread didn't seem so cumbersome.

#13 06-12-2007, 02:39 PM,
admin Wrote:I went back and edited my post to remove the quoted section so the thread didn't seem so cumbersome.
you did good Vic: :lol:

I don't know what happened to my other pics I took along the way so, I'm going to do my best to re-shoot them. I even went down to "Advanced auto" and took a couple shots of the switch in the package so you'll know what to look for. (is that devotion or what) Tongue the brand name is"PILOT"
if you look closely at the top just above the words High Tec you can see the name Pilot. also on the back you can see a wiring diagram.
I wired mine with another relay through the ignition switch so everything shuts down when you turn the key off. I will get a diagram and more pics posted asap. (so much to do, so little time!) Confusedhock: I just bought a 78 wing for a complete restore... and last night I was bumped up to chapter director for GWRRA FL2-W I don't know if I should be happy or just plain scared! Confusedhock: then there is that matter of the lawn needing mowing... :? :? :?

[Image: Auxlightingswitchcopy.jpg]
[Image: Auxlightingswitch006a.jpg]
Stay tuned more to come
#14 06-12-2007, 06:14 PM,
Congratulations on your promotion to the new position. I hope you do well in that capacity.

Thanks for the pics, now I can hunt around over here and see if they have something like that in the shops on this side of the border.

#15 06-12-2007, 09:46 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  color code for Starter Relay Switch goldwingrider 2 2,402 01-03-2015, 12:37 AM
Last Post: bs175dths